Thread: Noobie Question on Zooming

Default Noobie Question on Zooming

Can i ask a noobie question?

When i use the view finder of my D3100 to take a pic of my cupboard, i zoom till the edge of the cupboard sits right on the edge of my view finder. After i took the pic, when i did a playback, the picture taken contains beyond the edge of the cupboard. i.e. the object is smaller in the photo.

However, when i use the LCD screen to take the pic, the end result is same as what was shown on the LCD screen, i.e. no change in size.. can some kind soul explain if this is normal? and teach this noobie a thing or 2?

Default Re: Noobie Question on Zooming

Quote Originally Posted by fulltime View Post
    Can i ask a noobie question?

When i use the view finder of my D3100 to take a pic of my cupboard, i zoom till the edge of the cupboard sits right on the edge of my view finder. After i took the pic, when i did a playback, the picture taken contains beyond the edge of the cupboard. i.e. the object is smaller in the photo.

However, when i use the LCD screen to take the pic, the end result is same as what was shown on the LCD screen, i.e. no change in size.. can some kind soul explain if this is normal? and teach this noobie a thing or 2?
    is normal, most viewfinder of DSLR are not showing 100%

the spec of D3100
    Viewfinder Frame Coverage/Magnification (with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
    Approx. 95%/ Approx. 0.8x
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

thks catchlight..

seems like u r using D3100 as well? I got another qn on it

from page 46 of the manual, it states that:

"to take a photograph during movie recording, press the shutter release button all the way down and hold in this position until the shuttle is released."

I started movie recording, but when I depress the shutter, the movie recording stops before the photo is taken.. is this the correct behavior?

seems like u r using D3100 as well? I got another qn on it
    catchlights mentioned "most DSLR" - which includes other models, other brands... it's not limited to D3100 of Nikon.

I started movie recording, but when I depress the shutter, the movie recording stops before the photo is taken.. is this the correct behavior?
    There is only one sensor in the camera. To perform the function of 'picture taking" it has to interrupt the function of "video recording". Both are different functions, excluding each other (based on current technology used). You could use video editing software and extract a single frame from the video stream. Not sure if this will be the same quality as a picture taken normally.
    EOS

...the picture taken contains beyond the edge of the cupboard. i.e. the object is smaller in the photo...

However, when i use the LCD screen to take the pic, the end result is same as what was shown on the LCD screen...
    This is due to the viewfinder not designed to show 100%, many cameras nowadays aren't showing up till 100% because of size and cost. However, there are also a handful built for the full 100% view. Not a big problem though, you cam always crop the image after shooting if you really need to be that specific.

Movie recording and taking a photo are two different process altogether. When you start video recording, the mirror flaps, shutter opens and continuous data from sensor gets encoded into a video file then stored. When you attempt to take an image, the mirror flaps and the shutter will open/close depending on the shutter speed you've set. You can't have both going on at the same time, one has to stop for the other to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    ...Not sure if this will be the same quality as a picture taken normally.
    The quality will not be as good if you're trying to extract a single frame from the video file. The video file is recorded in 1920x1080 versus the full resolution of 4608x3072.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 25th December 2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

ok got it.. thks all for patience in explaining to this newbie here.. Merry XMAS!