Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas @ ION

Default Re: Christmas @ ION

Quote Originally Posted by dooku View Post
    there dun seem to be a focal point in this picture, u need to know what u want to capture.
    i feel u should keep it straight instead of slanting it, dun really make sense here.
    Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    hi TS,

if u wan to do it slant do it closer, lose the tree totally and move to the right side. show some cruves of the ion would be better. cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Other than what the others mentioned, I felt you could have lowered the exposure slightly since the lights look washed out
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    TS, just from a viewer point of view i think i was a bit uncomfortable to see the tilting. It felt like the building are falling.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    tilt dun work for me.

for me a key rule for shooting buildings is that, buildings must look upright and straight. not slanted. no point being artsy fartsy on this cos it will never work for majority of the viewers.
    Thanks for the feedback guys... Yeah, it seems tilting the shot didn't exactly jive with everyone... And looking at it now with this in mind I got what you guys mean...hehehe Anywho, got any tips or feedback on the exposure?
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

TS one thing you can try is to play with the 'blacks' in the photo, to give better contrast and less 'hazy' effect'. Other than that, its mostly been mentioned, use a tripod to get sharper results and maybe look into your exposure, i would have underexposed this shot by a slight bit if i was taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    What this 'WTF' means? Googles translate to 跆拳道...
    Anything beyond this, I don't understand because I am a civilized person.
    Lol, on the contrary it takes a civilized person to know what WTF is, not knowing is ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel-sg View Post
    Lol, on the contrary it takes a civilized person to know what WTF is, not knowing is ignorance.
    WTF = World TKD Federation.

anyways. slanting picture. don't work for me either. and the lights are kinda blown. faster shutter speed or smaller aperture could have been used.

Blog Entries

Never tilt a landscape photo unless you have a very strong reason to do so, and if you can pull it off composition wise.

Even if this pic is not slanted, it is a very weak composition. You chopped off every thing that can add interest to your pic: the tree, the arch, the base of ion, the taller part of building on the right.

This looks more like a snap shot than anything. You sure you put thought into the composition before snapping this pic?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    faster shutter speed or smaller aperture could have been used.
    on contrary, you should use a slower shutter speed (long exposure) instead of faster shutter speed, to allow more light to go into your sensor to capture it.

if u use fast shutter speed, your lightings will appear dim and dull.

think of the shooting fireworks and capturing car headlights trails theory.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th December 2010 at 10:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

on contrary, you should use a slower shutter speed (long exposure) instead of faster shutter speed, to allow more light to go into your sensor to capture it.

Fast or slow shutter speed doesn't matter if the lights are stationary. If the color of the lights changes, a faster shutter speed is better to capture the lights in the color desired. With changing colors, if shutter speed is too long, they will merge into white.

Amount of light is not only affected by speed of shutter speed. Aperture can affect it too. Exposure can also be changed with iso. Once the scene is exposed ok it will not look 'dark and dim'. Nothing to do with length of shutter speed alone.

Long shutter speeds are good for trails and fireworks because it is more desirable to capture the movement of the lights.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Fast or slow shutter speed doesn't matter if the lights are stationary. If the color of the lights changes, a faster shutter speed is better to capture the lights in the color desired. With changing colors, if shutter speed is too long, they will merge into white.

Amount of light is not only affected by speed of shutter speed. Aperture can affect it too.

Long shutter speeds are good for trails and fireworks because it is more desirable to capture the movement of the lights.
    ur fast is how fast?

cos i have experimented, i usually use below 1/20 anything higher then 1/60 regardless i use wide or small aperture it always appears too dim.

Blog Entries

ur fast is how fast?

cos i have experimented, i usually use below 1/20 anything higher then 1/60 regardless i use wide or small aperture it always appears too dim.
    I think it is a matter of your metering. Can also up iso. Can up ev comp.

But to make a sweeping statement like yours previously shows some misconceptions in your the basics of photography.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 10:41 AM.

I think it is a matter of your metering. Can also up iso. Can up ev comp.

But to make a sweeping statement like yours previously shows some misconceptions in your the basics of photography.
    i am replying kei1309 on his part about fast shutter speed. isn't that a sweeping statement as well?

for me i always keep to low ISO of 100 (i only use high ISO when i handheld, low ISO on tripod). hence if i use fast shutter speed, it is always dim, no? are you going to tell me if personally i use ISO 100, I should use fast shutter speed? O.o

I don't think I have any problems with my photography basics in this sense.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th December 2010 at 10:44 AM.

ur fast is how fast?

Sorry bro, i don't get your point on this.

isnt exposure a function of (aperture, shutter speed & ISO)? since you can compensate one another, i don't see why using a higher shutter speed will cause lights to be dim.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Sorry bro, i don't get your point on this.

isnt exposure a function of (aperture, shutter speed & ISO)? since you can compensate one another, i don't see why using a higher shutter speed will cause lights to be dim.
    maybe i didn't fully explain myself.

let me explain throughly.

for my style of shooting, i always use low ISO (for night shoots i usually use tripods very rarely i go handheld unless i want do night street shoots) of 100. Hence a slower shutter speed works for me. If i use fast shutter speed on ISO 100, all lightings will appears dim and dull.

I dun like grainy night photos, hence i dun go for high ISO + fast shutter speed.

comparing:
    low ISO + slow shutter over high ISO + fast shutter, i go for low ISO + slow shutter cos the photos turn out better for me.

Hope this explains more clearly.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th December 2010 at 10:49 AM.

maybe i didn't fully explain myself.

let me explain throughly.

for my style of shooting, i always use low ISO (for night shoots i usually use tripods very rarely i go handheld unless i want do night street shoots) of 100. Hence a slower shutter speed works for me. If i use fast shutter speed on ISO 100, all lightings will appears dim and dull.

I dun like grainy night photos, hence i dun go for high ISO + fast shutter speed.

Hope this explains more clearly.
    Guess your previous statement was kinda misleading. if you mention about using base ISO and want to use your lens sweet aperture, then your statement will be valid.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by daniel-sg View Post
    TS one thing you can try is to play with the 'blacks' in the photo, to give better contrast and less 'hazy' effect'. Other than that, its mostly been mentioned, use a tripod to get sharper results and maybe look into your exposure, i would have underexposed this shot by a slight bit if i was taking it.

I am not as smart as you. So what is WTF?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

yup... i was thinking more on the lines of how he can learn how it all works

Blog Entries

i am replying kei1309 on his part about fast shutter speed. isn't that a sweeping statement as well?

for me i always keep to low ISO of 100 (i only use high ISO when i handheld, low ISO on tripod). hence if i use fast shutter speed, it is always dim, no? are you going to tell me if personally i use ISO 100, I should use fast shutter speed? O.o

I don't think I have any problems with my photography basics in this sense.
    Well people are reading here. It is beneficial to others here to be accurate. If you want to say something you also need to say it in context. In this case, you need to also talk about your iso preferences. Readers here cannot read your mind.

So a question for you. If light changes color every second. Meter reading is iso100 aperture f5.6 10s. You want to capture a specific color. Will you stick to iso100?

And when giving advice that may potentially impact other newbies reading here, is it ok to reply a sweeping statement with another? Not sure about you, but that is something I will try to avoid because I want to add value, not to confuse further.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 11:07 AM.

So a question for you. If light changes color every second. Meter reading is iso100 aperture f5.6 10s. You want to capture a specific color. Will you stick to iso100?
    in the first place, i am replying accordingly to the TS questions. Those lights are stationary (save for the ION building lights). Since it is Xmas theme that TS want to shoot, and the Xmas tree pink color shades doesn't change. I dun see a fast shutter speed helps to capture here (unless TS is using high ISO which I believe so since the photo appears a bit grainy).

Hope this answers your question (unless you want to go off topic here).

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    I am not as smart as you. So what is WTF?
    WTF = What the frig

Enough said.
    Put a Canon to your head and shoot.

Blog Entries

in the first place, i am replying accordingly to the TS questions. Those lights are stationary (save for the ION building lights). Since it is Xmas theme that TS want to shoot, and the Xmas tree pink color shades doesn't change. I dun see a fast shutter speed helps to capture here (unless TS is using high ISO which I believe so since the photo appears a bit grainy).

Hope this answers your question (unless you want to go off topic here).
    Well you were responding to kei when you first said it. Not to TS. And kei did mention he/she felt that the lights are blown.

Context is so important.

I am confused as it is. Time to get back to my confusing life and give this 'back and forth' a miss.

Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Well you were responding to kei when you first said it. Not to TS. And kei did mention he/she felt that the lights are blown.

Context is so important.

I am confused as it is. Time to get back to my confusing life and give this 'back and forth' a miss.

let's just leave it to TS to go and explore both options and learn then.

I love the lights that you've captured here, but I don't think that the tree was in the right place. I mean, I feel it should be out of the picture because as the only thing that lacks the lights, it becomes the first thing that my eye focused on. Also, I don't know why, but the lopsided-ness of the photo just doesn't work for me. Just my piece as a newbie, really.
    | Nikon D3100 |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast