Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: Christmas @ ION

  1. #21

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by dooku View Post
    there dun seem to be a focal point in this picture, u need to know what u want to capture.
    i feel u should keep it straight instead of slanting it, dun really make sense here.
    Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post
    hi TS,

    if u wan to do it slant do it closer, lose the tree totally and move to the right side. show some cruves of the ion would be better. cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Other than what the others mentioned, I felt you could have lowered the exposure slightly since the lights look washed out
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    TS, just from a viewer point of view i think i was a bit uncomfortable to see the tilting. It felt like the building are falling.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    tilt dun work for me.

    for me a key rule for shooting buildings is that, buildings must look upright and straight. not slanted. no point being artsy fartsy on this cos it will never work for majority of the viewers.
    Thanks for the feedback guys... Yeah, it seems tilting the shot didn't exactly jive with everyone... And looking at it now with this in mind I got what you guys mean...hehehe Anywho, got any tips or feedback on the exposure?
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

  2. #22

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    TS one thing you can try is to play with the 'blacks' in the photo, to give better contrast and less 'hazy' effect'. Other than that, its mostly been mentioned, use a tripod to get sharper results and maybe look into your exposure, i would have underexposed this shot by a slight bit if i was taking it.


    Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    What this 'WTF' means? Googles translate to 跆拳道...
    Anything beyond this, I don't understand because I am a civilized person.
    Lol, on the contrary it takes a civilized person to know what WTF is, not knowing is ignorance.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel-sg View Post
    Lol, on the contrary it takes a civilized person to know what WTF is, not knowing is ignorance.
    WTF = World TKD Federation.

    anyways. slanting picture. don't work for me either. and the lights are kinda blown. faster shutter speed or smaller aperture could have been used.

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Never tilt a landscape photo unless you have a very strong reason to do so, and if you can pull it off composition wise.

    Even if this pic is not slanted, it is a very weak composition. You chopped off every thing that can add interest to your pic: the tree, the arch, the base of ion, the taller part of building on the right.

    This looks more like a snap shot than anything. You sure you put thought into the composition before snapping this pic?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 10:03 AM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,864

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    faster shutter speed or smaller aperture could have been used.
    on contrary, you should use a slower shutter speed (long exposure) instead of faster shutter speed, to allow more light to go into your sensor to capture it.

    if u use fast shutter speed, your lightings will appear dim and dull.

    think of the shooting fireworks and capturing car headlights trails theory.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th December 2010 at 10:16 AM.

  6. #26
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

    on contrary, you should use a slower shutter speed (long exposure) instead of faster shutter speed, to allow more light to go into your sensor to capture it.

    if u use fast shutter speed, your lightings will appear dim and dull.

    think of the shooting fireworks and capturing car headlights trails theory.
    Fast or slow shutter speed doesn't matter if the lights are stationary. If the color of the lights changes, a faster shutter speed is better to capture the lights in the color desired. With changing colors, if shutter speed is too long, they will merge into white.

    Amount of light is not only affected by speed of shutter speed. Aperture can affect it too. Exposure can also be changed with iso. Once the scene is exposed ok it will not look 'dark and dim'. Nothing to do with length of shutter speed alone.

    Long shutter speeds are good for trails and fireworks because it is more desirable to capture the movement of the lights.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 10:36 AM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,864

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Fast or slow shutter speed doesn't matter if the lights are stationary. If the color of the lights changes, a faster shutter speed is better to capture the lights in the color desired. With changing colors, if shutter speed is too long, they will merge into white.

    Amount of light is not only affected by speed of shutter speed. Aperture can affect it too.

    Long shutter speeds are good for trails and fireworks because it is more desirable to capture the movement of the lights.
    ur fast is how fast?

    cos i have experimented, i usually use below 1/20 anything higher then 1/60 regardless i use wide or small aperture it always appears too dim.

  8. #28
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

    ur fast is how fast?

    cos i have experimented, i usually use below 1/20 anything higher then 1/60 regardless i use wide or small aperture it always appears too dim.
    I think it is a matter of your metering. Can also up iso. Can up ev comp.

    But to make a sweeping statement like yours previously shows some misconceptions in your the basics of photography.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 10:41 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,864

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think it is a matter of your metering. Can also up iso. Can up ev comp.

    But to make a sweeping statement like yours previously shows some misconceptions in your the basics of photography.
    i am replying kei1309 on his part about fast shutter speed. isn't that a sweeping statement as well?

    for me i always keep to low ISO of 100 (i only use high ISO when i handheld, low ISO on tripod). hence if i use fast shutter speed, it is always dim, no? are you going to tell me if personally i use ISO 100, I should use fast shutter speed? O.o

    I don't think I have any problems with my photography basics in this sense.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th December 2010 at 10:44 AM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    ur fast is how fast?

    cos i have experimented, i usually use below 1/20 anything higher then 1/60 regardless i use wide or small aperture it always appears too dim.
    Sorry bro, i don't get your point on this.

    isnt exposure a function of (aperture, shutter speed & ISO)? since you can compensate one another, i don't see why using a higher shutter speed will cause lights to be dim.

  11. #31
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,864

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Sorry bro, i don't get your point on this.

    isnt exposure a function of (aperture, shutter speed & ISO)? since you can compensate one another, i don't see why using a higher shutter speed will cause lights to be dim.
    maybe i didn't fully explain myself.

    let me explain throughly.

    for my style of shooting, i always use low ISO (for night shoots i usually use tripods very rarely i go handheld unless i want do night street shoots) of 100. Hence a slower shutter speed works for me. If i use fast shutter speed on ISO 100, all lightings will appears dim and dull.

    I dun like grainy night photos, hence i dun go for high ISO + fast shutter speed.

    comparing:
    low ISO + slow shutter over high ISO + fast shutter, i go for low ISO + slow shutter cos the photos turn out better for me.

    Hope this explains more clearly.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th December 2010 at 10:49 AM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    maybe i didn't fully explain myself.

    let me explain throughly.

    for my style of shooting, i always use low ISO (for night shoots i usually use tripods very rarely i go handheld unless i want do night street shoots) of 100. Hence a slower shutter speed works for me. If i use fast shutter speed on ISO 100, all lightings will appears dim and dull.

    I dun like grainy night photos, hence i dun go for high ISO + fast shutter speed.

    Hope this explains more clearly.
    Guess your previous statement was kinda misleading. if you mention about using base ISO and want to use your lens sweet aperture, then your statement will be valid.

    Cheers

  13. #33
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel-sg View Post
    TS one thing you can try is to play with the 'blacks' in the photo, to give better contrast and less 'hazy' effect'. Other than that, its mostly been mentioned, use a tripod to get sharper results and maybe look into your exposure, i would have underexposed this shot by a slight bit if i was taking it.




    Lol, on the contrary it takes a civilized person to know what WTF is, not knowing is ignorance.

    I am not as smart as you. So what is WTF?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    on contrary, you should use a slower shutter speed (long exposure) instead of faster shutter speed, to allow more light to go into your sensor to capture it.

    if u use fast shutter speed, your lightings will appear dim and dull.

    think of the shooting fireworks and capturing car headlights trails theory.
    yup... i was thinking more on the lines of how he can learn how it all works

  15. #35
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

    i am replying kei1309 on his part about fast shutter speed. isn't that a sweeping statement as well?

    for me i always keep to low ISO of 100 (i only use high ISO when i handheld, low ISO on tripod). hence if i use fast shutter speed, it is always dim, no? are you going to tell me if personally i use ISO 100, I should use fast shutter speed? O.o

    I don't think I have any problems with my photography basics in this sense.
    Well people are reading here. It is beneficial to others here to be accurate. If you want to say something you also need to say it in context. In this case, you need to also talk about your iso preferences. Readers here cannot read your mind.

    So a question for you. If light changes color every second. Meter reading is iso100 aperture f5.6 10s. You want to capture a specific color. Will you stick to iso100?

    And when giving advice that may potentially impact other newbies reading here, is it ok to reply a sweeping statement with another? Not sure about you, but that is something I will try to avoid because I want to add value, not to confuse further.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 11:07 AM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,864

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

    So a question for you. If light changes color every second. Meter reading is iso100 aperture f5.6 10s. You want to capture a specific color. Will you stick to iso100?
    in the first place, i am replying accordingly to the TS questions. Those lights are stationary (save for the ION building lights). Since it is Xmas theme that TS want to shoot, and the Xmas tree pink color shades doesn't change. I dun see a fast shutter speed helps to capture here (unless TS is using high ISO which I believe so since the photo appears a bit grainy).

    Hope this answers your question (unless you want to go off topic here).

  17. #37
    Member AboutToSnap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    I am not as smart as you. So what is WTF?
    WTF = What the frig

    Enough said.
    Put a Canon to your head and shoot.

  18. #38
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

    in the first place, i am replying accordingly to the TS questions. Those lights are stationary (save for the ION building lights). Since it is Xmas theme that TS want to shoot, and the Xmas tree pink color shades doesn't change. I dun see a fast shutter speed helps to capture here (unless TS is using high ISO which I believe so since the photo appears a bit grainy).

    Hope this answers your question (unless you want to go off topic here).
    Well you were responding to kei when you first said it. Not to TS. And kei did mention he/she felt that the lights are blown.

    Context is so important.

    I am confused as it is. Time to get back to my confusing life and give this 'back and forth' a miss.

    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 12:38 PM.

  19. #39
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,864

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Well you were responding to kei when you first said it. Not to TS. And kei did mention he/she felt that the lights are blown.

    Context is so important.

    I am confused as it is. Time to get back to my confusing life and give this 'back and forth' a miss.

    let's just leave it to TS to go and explore both options and learn then.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Christmas @ ION

    I love the lights that you've captured here, but I don't think that the tree was in the right place. I mean, I feel it should be out of the picture because as the only thing that lacks the lights, it becomes the first thing that my eye focused on. Also, I don't know why, but the lopsided-ness of the photo just doesn't work for me. Just my piece as a newbie, really.
    | Nikon D3100 |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •