Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Shooting Golf Tournament

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    645

    Default Shooting Golf Tournament

    Hi...Will be shooting a golf tournament soon at a country club....any tips on camera angles....techiques...equipment....?

    Anyone experienced shooting golf....?

  2. #2

    Default Golf pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Hi...Will be shooting a golf tournament soon at a country club....any tips on camera angles....techiques...equipment....?

    Anyone experienced shooting golf....?
    Steady lah, Robin!

    Seriously, don't worry excessively abt yr eqpt. Your current hardware shld serve you just fine! Just go out, put camera in P mode and shoot away. If you're shooting players addressing the ball before hitting the teeshot, shoot only AFTER they have hit. A camera clicking away can be very distracting to both amateur and pro golfers alike. Should they hit a bad shot, they might well come after you.

    As for angles, flip thru some golf mags to get an idea of the kind of pics. Or look at newspapers and the WWW.

    The most impt thing that day is to get your shots. And most importantly, have fun!

    Hewland

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    Steady lah, Robin!

    Seriously, don't worry excessively abt yr eqpt. Your current hardware shld serve you just fine! Just go out, put camera in P mode and shoot away. If you're shooting players addressing the ball before hitting the teeshot, shoot only AFTER they have hit. A camera clicking away can be very distracting to both amateur and pro golfers alike. Should they hit a bad shot, they might well come after you.

    As for angles, flip thru some golf mags to get an idea of the kind of pics. Or look at newspapers and the WWW.

    The most impt thing that day is to get your shots. And most importantly, have fun!

    Hewland
    Thanks dude....i feel much better now...cause i know nuts about golf.....

  4. #4

    Lightbulb

    some standard golf poses

    1. the momentary pause when their golf club is high in the air both elbows in front of body. thsi happens just after they take a hit

    2. when they stare motionless at the ball, hoping that it will go into the hole

  5. #5

    Default

    Hi Robin,

    I've done a few golf tourneys.
    Use a zoom lens, preferably 200mm or more.

    set your camera settings to continuous mode. I use 3 fps.

    the golfer usually would take a practice swing. Anticipate when he's gonna take the shot from the tee. You'll know when he's addressing the ball. Stand at a distance so as not to distract the golfer. Start snapping on the upswing until the follow-through. Because the action is so fast, you'll probably snap 3 shots continuously. From these 3, there's bound to be a good photo taken. I've had golfers request for all 3 shots so that they can analyse their swing.

    I use aperture priority, usually at f11, depending on location of sun and weather.

    DO not stand on the greens or the fairway.

    Do not use flash.

    On the putting green, shoot low. Try not to shoot in front of the golfer. One slight miss is one extra stroke counted.

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    919956g
    Guests

    Default

    wanna sell your 300D, anyone??

    1)so, 300D doesn't seem a hot item so far, any body regretted buying and wanna sell his 300D??

    2)any update of upcoming fashion show in town(Singapore), wanna shoot.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 919956g
    wanna sell your 300D, anyone??

    1)so, 300D doesn't seem a hot item so far, any body regretted buying and wanna sell his 300D??

    2)any update of upcoming fashion show in town(Singapore), wanna shoot.



    ??????

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    engineermunn, that chap is lacking of tact.

    try reading this article about Steve Williams, Tiger's caddy...

    http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1211

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Thanks guys for all the advise.....this is my first golf tournament shoot and i am just a tad nervous.....

  10. #10

    Default

    perhaps u need a long lens unless u are able to get on the green...

    try to shoot at eye level.....if the player squats....match it etc etc....
    fast shutter also impt.....

  11. #11
    Member kiama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    .SG
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    1.take note of the background, trees & branches sticking out from the head will be
    2.depending on the time of the day, the sun's direction affects your head shots, especially when most of the golfers wear caps.
    3.and switch yr handphone to silent!!
    Last edited by kiama; 5th July 2004 at 11:21 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Mana tempat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Thanks guys for all the advise.....this is my first golf tournament shoot and i am just a tad nervous.....
    Yo Robin,

    Where and when is the golf tourney?

  13. #13
    Moderator Cactus jACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore (Kallang)
    Posts
    3,933
    Blog Entries
    23

    Default

    robin... hope this is not too late for your shoot.

    i have always liked 4 types of shots in golf tournaments,

    i) follow-through as they look up to their shot (need good zoom lense)
    ii) lining up putt (need good positioning inline with golfer, ball and hole)
    iii) expression on putting in a long putt (just like tiger)
    iv) sky view of the golf course (need helicopter)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •