Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

  1. #1
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,468

    Default Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    Hi there,

    any CSers using the Lenovo U165, can share its performance, battery life and any opinions on this 11.6 inch AMD processor mini notebook/netbook?

    saw this at challenger, looks pretty good and light and seems to play HD content very well, tempted to get it as a travelling netbook
    A7R2|V12|V15|FE28|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50cron|J3|90 cron|
    5DIV|Σ24|35L|Σ50|85|135L|Σ150|300L

  2. #2
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    Hi there ... U165 did the job well for me ... small, light and battery life's about four hours (based on the reading I got off the netbook's battery status) ... I know others will suggest why not get a higher spec ones but in the end, I need to remind myself of my needs, i.e. small, light, decent battery life, slightly larger than the usual 10.1' screen, allows me to do MS Office work, stream video well (I countered it's 1GB Ram limitation but upgrading it to 4GB on my own) and that I have no wish to spend ...

    Initially I was also quite tempted to get Asus' netbook but seeing it uses the Intel Atom processor, i.e. integrated CPU and GPU, I picked the AMD one since it uses a separate GPU ... guess the downside of it is it uses more juice ...

    It does get warm but it doesn't bother me much since I don't use it as a 'lap'top ...

    All in all, it's a decent (probably not the best) buy for me but given what I've paid, I'm pretty pleased. As for you, if you don't really need it now, I suggest you wait ... either the next IT Show (I reckoned if I bought during the recent Show, it could be S$100-200 cheaper, urgh!) or something better ... I reckon Intel will be introducing new chipsets as well as processor in early Q1 2011 so I guess we can see even faster netbook in the same form factor ...
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 23rd December 2010 at 10:26 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,468

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    thanks Adam!

    ha...i got hold of one before i read your response last night....weird that there isnt much reviews for this netbook, I could only find that the Intel chipset version got a very lousy review due to the intel processor being very power intensive... guess the U160 intel version was not really a netbook but more of a notebook, while this AMD chipset is more of a netbook due to the processor.

    Just curious how much did you pay for yours? I saw it at $699 at challenger, i know some ppl got it at $599 at Sitex, I got mine at $550, now to hunt for a 4GB ram for some DIY upgrade If you could advise how much and which model of the Ram to buy that wld be great ha..i only know DDR3 issit? was it a 1x 4GB or 2x 2GB RAM?
    A7R2|V12|V15|FE28|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50cron|J3|90 cron|
    5DIV|Σ24|35L|Σ50|85|135L|Σ150|300L

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    thanks Adam!

    ha...i got hold of one before i read your response last night....weird that there isnt much reviews for this netbook, I could only find that the Intel chipset version got a very lousy review due to the intel processor being very power intensive... guess the U160 intel version was not really a netbook but more of a notebook, while this AMD chipset is more of a netbook due to the processor.

    Just curious how much did you pay for yours? I saw it at $699 at challenger, i know some ppl got it at $599 at Sitex, I got mine at $550, now to hunt for a 4GB ram for some DIY upgrade If you could advise how much and which model of the Ram to buy that wld be great ha..i only know DDR3 issit? was it a 1x 4GB or 2x 2GB RAM?
    Should be 2 RAM slots.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  5. #5
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,468

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    wow i just realised that the windows 7 home premium version is the 64bit type...does this mean that it can fully utilise 8GB of 2x 4GB DDR ram ?
    A7R2|V12|V15|FE28|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50cron|J3|90 cron|
    5DIV|Σ24|35L|Σ50|85|135L|Σ150|300L

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    wow i just realised that the windows 7 home premium version is the 64bit type...does this mean that it can fully utilise 8GB of 2x 4GB DDR ram ?
    Yes. The addressable size of the memory increased beyond 4GB (32bit).
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  7. #7
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,468

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    cool hee....I am not that good when it comes to the latest technology IT wise hee....

    wondering if I shld max the RAM up to 8GB, i guess it will help in multi-tasking and when using Photoshop CS3, will there be any ill-effects to too much RAM like overheating problems etc?
    A7R2|V12|V15|FE28|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50cron|J3|90 cron|
    5DIV|Σ24|35L|Σ50|85|135L|Σ150|300L

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    cool hee....I am not that good when it comes to the latest technology IT wise hee....

    wondering if I shld max the RAM up to 8GB, i guess it will help in multi-tasking and when using Photoshop CS3, will there be any ill-effects to too much RAM like overheating problems etc?
    There's always more benefits than not.
    P e r s p e c t i v e

  9. #9
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: Lenovo Ideapad U165 user opinions and where to buy

    Hi ... I went for 2X2GB ram upgrade path since it's more cost effective as compared to 2X4GB ... you got it at a very good price!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •