Thread: Waterproof digital camera

Default Waterproof digital camera

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a waterproof/shockproof camera @ a low price tag.
    Any recommendations? Thanks.
    Nikon D90 | N 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR | N 50mm f/1.8D | Tam 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

Default Re: Waterproof digital camera

I recommend specifying your price tag. 'Low' is relative.
    Secondly: what have you checked so far? Websites? Shops? Any exclusions already? Please note that 'waterproof' is relative, most models can be sued for snorkeling down to 5m maximum. For diving you will need a dedicated casing.
    EOS

"Hi, my dad is a multi millionaire , i am looking for a low priced DSLR.
    Should i get a 1D MKIV or D3s ??"

How low is low?

Student - $200
    Average working class - $500
    Slightly richer - $1000
    Multi millionaire - $10000

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    "Hi, my dad is a multi millionaire , i am looking for a low priced DSLR.
    Should i get a 1D MKIV or D3s ??"

How low is low?

Student - $200
    Average working class - $500
    Slightly richer - $1000
    Multi millionaire - $10000

if you're only thinking of using the camera only occasionally in the water, then i suggest you get a normal compact and a waterproof case instead.

i used my friend's olympus (cant remember the model) and the quality was horrible. not sure if its cos the lens was wet, but it was really very bad, compared to my lumix (just a simple fs-15) and actually worse than my 3mp phone

the cases are quite affordable like this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Case_for.html

dont think the quality will be fantastic but at least normally you can get decent shots

Sorry for the very non-specific question.

I am looking for a waterproof digital camera. Good enough for swimming (not diving).
    Price tag must be below 500sgd.
    I heard that Canon PowerShot D10 has a good review, but it is already discontinued.

Go to the shops and look. Not that many waterproof models. The Sony TX5 is good, but will stretch your budget. Might get it for 500 at the usual recommended shops.

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/dsc-tx5
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography
    if you're only thinking of using the camera only occasionally in the water, then i suggest you get a normal compact and a waterproof case instead.

i used my friend's olympus (cant remember the model) and the quality was horrible. not sure if its cos the lens was wet, but it was really very bad, compared to my lumix (just a simple fs-15) and actually worse than my 3mp phone

the cases are quite affordable like this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Case_for.html

dont think the quality will be fantastic but at least normally you can get decent shots
    If you already have a digital camera you could consider waterproof bags from Dicapac. I use them myself too.

thank you for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by oghuz View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy a waterproof/shockproof camera @ a low price tag.
    Any recommendations? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Go to the shops and look. Not that many waterproof models. The Sony TX5 is good, but will stretch your budget. Might get it for 500 at the usual recommended shops.

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/dsc-tx5
    Hi oghuz,

I'd suggest Sony TX5 as I'm still using it till to-date and have since sold away all my past PnS cameras regardless of brand that I'd owned/used in the past...

Well, but still I've to suggest that it'd be even better to Test-it-out yourself to achieve your Best-Buy, right...??
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

why not try looking for this >> Vistaquest waterproof

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

This is an old review at dpreview. I ended up buying the Lumix FT-1 after reading this review. The picture quality is quite good and the video is very good. Most of these models have however been replaced by a later model. You can read the reviews for the latest model.

For cheap, I think the Pentax is quite affordable.

Tx5 for me. got it from cathay photo for $490 a month ago. some say FT2 is also good but it has no wide angle so definitely a no for me.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by windforce View Post
    Tx5 for me. got it from cathay photo for $490 a month ago. some say FT2 is also good but it has no wide angle so definitely a no for me.

cheers
    haha, me too, for its 25mm Wide and NOT forgetting the Sweep-Panoramic feature that offer 4-options to shoot/pan from 'right-1st-than-to-left', 'left-1st-than-to-right', top-1st-than-downwards' and/or from 'down-1st-than-upwards'
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)