Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New at this and not sure where to find some things

  1. #1

    Question New at this and not sure where to find some things

    I'm thinking about going to school for photography and found out I need a "few" things to get started and I'm not sure where to find some of these things. If anyone can help me with a website or something, it would help a great deal (I don't know what half of these things are);
    o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
    o Hot Lamps (3)
    o Hot Shoe Cable (suggested)
    o Reflector
    o Gray Card
    o Light Meter
    Also need a 55-200mm lens for a sony camera. Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos. Thanks, Widget

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    I'm thinking about going to school for photography and found out I need a "few" things to get started and I'm not sure where to find some of these things. If anyone can help me with a website or something, it would help a great deal (I don't know what half of these things are);
    o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
    o Hot Lamps (3)
    o Hot Shoe Cable (suggested)
    o Reflector
    o Gray Card
    o Light Meter
    Also need a 55-200mm lens for a sony camera. Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos. Thanks, Widget

    1)CP

    2)CP

    3)Mass sales and those usual shops around Funan

    4)Mass sales

    5)DIY your own or look around mass sales

    6)Usual shops around Funan and mass sales

    7)Refer to the price guide and do your own research

  3. #3

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    If you don't know what they are, why on earth do you think you need to get them? It sounds like you're trying to set up a studio. Do you even have the space or the funds?
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    They are required for school, they teach you how to use everything you would need to use in a studio and you have to have your own equipment. I don't know how much they are or even where to look online or anything, thats why I came here and asked. I've looked and I'm not sure what is ok quality and what I am even looking for, I just need some guidence.

  5. #5
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    sorry kid 'new-at-this' is no excuse ....... you have not even tried looking........... or used some finger power

    EVERYTHING you want in your list can be found/bought at Marketplace -> Mass Sellers section in this forum .... 3-4 flicks of the mouse...... and a scroll or 2 up/down...... suggest u cut and paste your list above and PM it to the various advertising Mass Sellers to see if they have it and how much they cost if you have problems adding up their advertised prices ?

    u might even get a little discount for getting everything from ONE mass seller

    p/s if you are getting the radio slave (transmitter/receivers) then a hotshoe cable (i guess its a flash sync cord) might be a little redundant

    pp/s which school is this? I better go see them about selling all enrolling students a 'Starter Studio Kit'
    Last edited by ed9119; 23rd December 2010 at 11:08 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  6. #6
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos
    I suggest you find out how much is the school fees and look around in the marketplace for the equipments required then work out the cost involved. Photography can be expensive when you intend to invest in lots of stuff at one go, you'll save lots by only buying what you need after realising you really need it.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    I'm thinking about going to school for photography and found out I need a "few" things to get started and I'm not sure where to find some of these things. If anyone can help me with a website or something, it would help a great deal (I don't know what half of these things are);
    o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
    o Hot Lamps (3)
    o Hot Shoe Cable (suggested)
    o Reflector
    o Gray Card
    o Light Meter
    Also need a 55-200mm lens for a sony camera. Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos. Thanks, Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    They are required for school, they teach you how to use everything you would need to use in a studio and you have to have your own equipment. I don't know how much they are or even where to look online or anything, thats why I came here and asked. I've looked and I'm not sure what is ok quality and what I am even looking for, I just need some guidence.
    required for school??

    where are you from in the first place?? and what school are you attending??

    shouldn't they recommend you where you able to get them? and what kind/brand you can consider??

    this is rather basic info the school should provide you, if they can't, I can't imagine what they will able to teach you in your course.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    If all students need to bring their own sets, I can't imagine how big is this studio. School should provide and share among students..... my 2cnts

  9. #9

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    This is an online school so that is why they require every student to have one. I've put items in search engines and I don't know if what I'm looking at is right or not cuz I have NO clue as to what they are. I'm not even 100% sure how to use my slr camera. I'm not trying to be lazy or anything. I looked for about 2 hours last night and I have no clue as to where the best place to look is or what any of this is used for OR what they are in the first place. Thats when I came across this web site and I was thinking people on here could help me out. I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.

  10. #10

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.
    1. You are being a smartie. Several of the posts, most notable the one right below yours, specified where you can find the items you are looking for.

    2. Any "online school" that requires total n00bs to purchase a home studio set is one I would avoid. If you don't know what you are doing, you should avoid sinking all your money into something that may not even be your passion. What if you prefer macro shots? Landscapes? ambient light / outdoor shots?
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    This is an online school so that is why they require every student to have one. I've put items in search engines and I don't know if what I'm looking at is right or not cuz I have NO clue as to what they are. I'm not even 100% sure how to use my slr camera. I'm not trying to be lazy or anything. I looked for about 2 hours last night and I have no clue as to where the best place to look is or what any of this is used for OR what they are in the first place. Thats when I came across this web site and I was thinking people on here could help me out. I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.
    Did you even read the comments given? It has been told to you where to get them and if you want to spend that huge sum without even considering whether the online school is providing you with the educations you need then by all means go ahead

  12. #12
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by Widget225 View Post
    This is an online school so that is why they require every student to have one. I've put items in search engines and I don't know if what I'm looking at is right or not cuz I have NO clue as to what they are. I'm not even 100% sure how to use my slr camera. I'm not trying to be lazy or anything. I looked for about 2 hours last night and I have no clue as to where the best place to look is or what any of this is used for OR what they are in the first place. Thats when I came across this web site and I was thinking people on here could help me out. I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.
    Guess you will be much better off with checking the sections about photographic courses where teachers of flesh and blood do the lessons right in front of your eyes. Yeah, it will require personal attendance, but given the conditions you state here I think the results will be better and achieved in shorter time - with less money spend on equipment.
    There are things that are taught best face2face.
    EOS

  13. #13
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    EVERYTHING you want in your list can be found/bought at Marketplace -> Mass Sellers section in this forum .... 3-4 flicks of the mouse...... and a scroll or 2 up/down...... suggest u cut and paste your list above and PM it to the various advertising Mass Sellers to see if they have it and how much they cost if you have problems adding up their advertised prices ?

    WHICH PART of the above did you not understand?

    affordable ($55) studio lighting workshop by Clubsnap workshop organizer

    stop slacking if u want to be serious about this
    Last edited by ed9119; 24th December 2010 at 10:22 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  14. #14

    Default Re: New at this and not sure where to find some things

    whatver he said ^.

    and good luck with your online school. heh.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •