Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    yeah, u can replace the LCD window.

But what abt the amt of time and effort you are gonna to use, in order to do that?

And that's provided only the window is damaged. If the impact caused further damage to your display screen, u can kiss yr $$ goodbye.......

$20 also you want to save.......
    There is a reason why i say that.

1. In general, glass is brittle and easily break upon impact. especially a very thin piece (the case of a screen protector). if the purpose of the glass screen protector is to prevent scratch, yes it does the job. But to cushion impact, I wonder ... That is why glass screen protector cracks easily, which may lead to us believing that it saved the camera.

2. Camera manufacturer use plastic over glass as the LCD window for a reason. In addition, there is a clearance between LCD window and LCD. so should there be any impact, chances of it hitting the actual LCD is kinda low.

3. So if the purpose of putting the screen protector is to prevent scratch, the plastic ones might do the job. However, plastic are very prone to scratch, thus glass may be a better choice.

To conclude my lengthy post, if the screen protector serves only to prevent scratches on LCD window, there is no need to buy 1 that cost much more than a LCD window replacement.

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone.

buy one that u feel comfortable with ur heart or pocket la after all its only <S$15 item
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post

1. In general, glass is brittle and easily break upon impact. especially a very thin piece (the case of a screen protector). if the purpose of the glass screen protector is to prevent scratch, yes it does the job. But to cushion impact, I wonder ... That is why glass screen protector cracks easily, which may lead to us believing that it saved the camera.

To add on, LCD protector protrudes out of the camera, which makes it very vulnerable to external force. Without this piece of glass, camera body takes the impact, so end up nothing will happen actually. Unless you hit it straight at the screen, it's useless IMO.

Merry Christmas!

To conclude my lengthy post, if the screen protector serves only to prevent scratches on LCD window, there is no need to buy 1 that cost much more than a LCD window replacement.

3" ggs costs $15.

as much as you trust technicians at servicing centres, i'm not in favour of opening up the entire thing just to change the screen. besides, don't a lot of servicing centres charge for labour?

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    just a question, what are lcd screens made off?

i know my htc hd2 is really strong as it is tampered glass. i tried penknifes etc. the only time it finally shattered was when it was knocked on the sides (weak point of tampered glass)

cause i'm wondering if the lcd would had cracked, or was it the protector that was useless in the first place...

for uv filters i understand. its protecting scratches. but are lcds that easily damaged?
    i don't know, but they're easily scratched.

one or two small scratches is fine, but they start building up, can make viewing a pain in the arse.

anyone tried the Hercules or armaxx protector? how does it compare to the gss?

2. Camera manufacturer use plastic over glass as the LCD window for a reason. In addition, there is a clearance between LCD window and LCD. so should there be any impact, chances of it hitting the actual LCD is kinda low.

3. So if the purpose of putting the screen protector is to prevent scratch, the plastic ones might do the job. However, plastic are very prone to scratch, thus glass may be a better choice.

sorry, just to clarify, when you say "LCD window", are you referring to an external/removable piece of plastic that covers the LCD?
    Not sure if all cameras come with it, but something like what Nikon provides with most of their mid-to-high end cameras?

I was earlier under the impression that you were referring to the fixed LCD window. Including all the labour and parts costs, I would've thought the price easily exceeded $20.

And to bring up your point about the glass shattering upon impact, I think that is designed to cushion the impact, much like a safety helmet shattering or a car's crumple zone.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 24th December 2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Exploring! :)

for those who might be interested.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821739

note: I am in no way affiliated to Dimage.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    sorry, just to clarify, when you say "LCD window", are you referring to an external/removable piece of plastic that covers the LCD?
    Not sure if all cameras come with it, but something like what Nikon provides with most of their mid-to-high end cameras?

I was earlier under the impression that you were referring to the fixed LCD window. Including all the labour and parts costs, I would've thought the price easily exceeded $20.

And to bring up your point about the glass shattering upon impact, I think that is designed to cushion the impact, much like a safety helmet shattering or a car's crumple zone.
    Exactly, the BM-11 monitor cover on the D7K is a plastic cover designed to protect the LCD.
    If you have that, then GGS may not be required. Am refering to D7K models only.

Quote Originally Posted by zorro18

Exactly, the BM-11 monitor cover on the D7K is a plastic cover designed to protect the LCD.
    If you have that, then GGS may not be required. Am refering to D7K models only.
    Oh gosh I dislike that "thing" very much
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Oh gosh I dislike that "thing" very much
    lol. same same.Got meself a GGS protector too

Thanks for sharing! A very valuable piece of advice!
    Spend a little more to save much more.

I think it doesn't matter whether it's a plastic-cover "thing" or a "glass" protector. My point was not to be "penny wise, pound foolish", willing to spend $$$$ on lenses but not spending $ on simple protection - or that some don't know a simple device like this can save from "what ifs".

Yeah, Nikons get that "thinggy" that serves a similar purpose but as you said - some may find it a bit... fugly

At least now my camera is all smiles with a new diaper on its backside lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12