Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

  1. #1

    Default LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    I'm not here to advertise anything but to share what had been an experience.

    When I first bought my dslr early last year, I didn't really know what to expect or much on what to get outside of the usual camera, lenspen, drycabi blah blah blah.

    The shop was nice enough to include an LCD screen protector. I always thought of these protectors as those transparent film type that you put on your PSP or iPad so I was quite surprised this protector was like a layer of glass - I thought "Wah, seriously?"

    1 year+ passed and I didn't think much of it until a recent trip to Batam. Not sure how it happened but my camera, which was in my backpack, somehow hit something I guess although till today, I cannot remember when or where.

    Reaching Batam, I got off the ferry and took out my camera. Oh the horror! There was a huge crack across 1 corner of the LCD screen! Honestly, panic! But I was there on company trip and assignment, so didn't have time other than to do a perfunctory check. Camera still worked, so took photos across the whole week.

    Came back, managed to remove the "glass" protector and yup! it protected my LCD screen! The "glass" took the impact and saved what might have been a costly replacement!

    So my message for those getting their first dslr - don't skimp on this area. The protector doesn't cost much and it has more than done what it was supposed to (which most would think of as scratches and fingerprints...)

    How bad was the crack? More like shattered.....




  2. #2

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Ok that's it, I'm gonna get one.

    My friend told me to get one but i don't really see the need back then. Now i do.

  3. #3

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Thanks for sharing You didn't put your camera in a proper backpack I suppose? They are relatively padded to begin with.

    But anyhow, good to know your lcd survived!

  4. #4

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Thanks for sharing. but replacing the LCD window cost about $20 plus dollars. The LCD window serves as a protection already. So in my opinion, there is no need to spend too much on additional protection.

  5. #5

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    i use ggs, also glass.

    quite useful.

  6. #6

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Thanks for sharing. but replacing the LCD window cost about $20 plus dollars. The LCD window serves as a protection already. So in my opinion, there is no need to spend too much on additional protection.
    yeah, u can replace the LCD window.

    But what abt the amt of time and effort you are gonna to use, in order to do that?

    And that's provided only the window is damaged. If the impact caused further damage to your display screen, u can kiss yr $$ goodbye.......

    $20 also you want to save.......

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivakis View Post
    I'm not here to advertise anything but to share what had been an experience.

    When I first bought my dslr early last year, I didn't really know what to expect or much on what to get outside of the usual camera, lenspen, drycabi blah blah blah.

    The shop was nice enough to include an LCD screen protector. I always thought of these protectors as those transparent film type that you put on your PSP or iPad so I was quite surprised this protector was like a layer of glass - I thought "Wah, seriously?"

    1 year+ passed and I didn't think much of it until a recent trip to Batam. Not sure how it happened but my camera, which was in my backpack, somehow hit something I guess although till today, I cannot remember when or where.

    Reaching Batam, I got off the ferry and took out my camera. Oh the horror! There was a huge crack across 1 corner of the LCD screen! Honestly, panic! But I was there on company trip and assignment, so didn't have time other than to do a perfunctory check. Camera still worked, so took photos across the whole week.

    Came back, managed to remove the "glass" protector and yup! it protected my LCD screen! The "glass" took the impact and saved what might have been a costly replacement!

    So my message for those getting their first dslr - don't skimp on this area. The protector doesn't cost much and it has more than done what it was supposed to (which most would think of as scratches and fingerprints...)

    How bad was the crack? More like shattered.....
    Thanks for sharing.
    Quite generous of the shop to include an 'above-average' screen protector for your LCD.
    Glad your camera survived intact.
    Have seen a similar case as well where the glass protector bore the brunt of the impact (camera fell from table) and the LCD was unharmed. good stuff!
    Exploring! :)

  8. #8
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    I using a normal LCD screen protector... seems like those used on HP... not hard plastic / glass that you guys mentioned... wonder is there any for my Canon 60D...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Thanks for sharing. but replacing the LCD window cost about $20 plus dollars. The LCD window serves as a protection already. So in my opinion, there is no need to spend too much on additional protection.
    interesting point.
    Didn't realize the LCD window replacement was $20. Would've thought it'd be much more.
    but as 'donut88' mentioned, if other parts damaged, would likely be much more than $20.
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ant0800 View Post
    I using a normal LCD screen protector... seems like those used on HP... not hard plastic / glass that you guys mentioned... wonder is there any for my Canon 60D...
    pretty sure there is. 60D quite a popular camera model.
    Maybe can check out ebay and search under 'GGS protector'.
    I know OP sells them as well.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    it died doing its job........ please give it a respectful burial
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  12. #12
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    pretty sure there is. 60D quite a popular camera model.
    Maybe can check out ebay and search under 'GGS protector'.
    I know OP sells them as well.
    I did a search and yes... GGS for 60D available... however 60D is swival LCD so wonder if by adding the GGS LCD proctor... will there be gap or alignment out that cause the LCD not to close properly... any existing 60D users on GGS can confirm... if not I guess its either to the shop to check, wait for review before buying or be the guinea pig...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  13. #13
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Having seen and heard of a number of DSLR accidents, I'll continue buying glass LCD protectors even for the future DSLRs that I will get my hands on... I'm a very careful user, but I know I can never avoid some unforeseen accidents - no matter how careful I am...

    Sure, LCD replacement may cost just as much as the protector itself... but what if there is liquid near the accident? Rain? Fountain? Coffee? Tea? Water? I'm sure these will create havoc to the circuitries inside that will result in damages more than just $20...

    My $0.02...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  14. #14

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    it died doing its job........ please give it a respectful burial
    Hehe, well, it's now living on in Clubsnap. So that's as good a burial as any!

    As for the LCD window replacement being only $20, that may be the case but this protector that sacrificed itself costs only half that price and no downtime spent at the service center, so its definitely something worth considering.

    Good to hear that others have also used it and was "saved" by it

  15. #15
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    I think using LCD protector does serves a purpose. An additional layer of protection to shield your LCD from direct impact sure does sound logical in reducing the extent of damage that can possibly happen with just the LCD window alone. Good to know that TS' camera is working fine after the ordeal.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  16. #16
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Yes, GGS is very important.. I dont trust those non-glass screen protector..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  17. #17

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    I searched for GGS and came across 2 models, one that has a mount for the viewfinder (~S$20)and another just a piece of glass that sticks onto the LCD (~S$6). The former one seems to bulge out more as it has a frame for the LCD protector. Which of these do you guys recommend?

  18. #18

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    Yes, GGS is very important.. I dont trust those non-glass screen protector..
    they're fine, just that they get scratched, so after a while of use you replace them...

    also, sometimes because of expansion and contraction bubbles will form, and that's the end of having a pleasant lcd viewing experience, and then you have to buy a new one...

    in the end, even if you get $5 plastic one, might as well buy GGS, cos you will replace more than 3 times if you're picky.

  19. #19
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    just a question, what are lcd screens made off?

    i know my htc hd2 is really strong as it is tampered glass. i tried penknifes etc. the only time it finally shattered was when it was knocked on the sides (weak point of tampered glass)

    cause i'm wondering if the lcd would had cracked, or was it the protector that was useless in the first place...

    for uv filters i understand. its protecting scratches. but are lcds that easily damaged?

  20. #20

    Default Re: LCD Protector - don't skimp on it.

    i prefer the snap-on version of the GSS
    cost $30 which include back and top lcd

    is more neat when the back LCD is blacked rimmed as it looks more ...
    hm.... pro?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •