Thread: Looking for Travel kakis – Yuan Yang (元阳) Rice Terrace and Luo Ping (罗平) Canola field

Default Looking for Travel kakis – Yuan Yang (元阳) Rice Terrace and Luo Ping (罗平) Canola field

Dear all,

I am planning to go to these 2 places early next year, tentatively 12th-22th Feb 2011. Mid Feb is the time when the canola flowers will be at their full bloom. The tour guides are local professional photographers who know the best spots to capture the breathtaking landscape of rice terrace and canola flower field.

Just borrow bro. Hosea’s and Skygtr’s beautiful threads to give you an idea of what to expect at these 2 places:

Luo Ping (罗平):
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198592
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196263

Yuan Yang (元阳) :
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204978
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207882
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558852

The 11-day tour will cost about RMB4600/pax, inclusive of land transport, food, accommodation and entrance fees for some of the scenic spots. Airfare will be on our own.

Looking to form a group of 4-6 pax. I can email you the detailed itinerary if you are interested. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for Travel kakis – Yuan Yang (元阳) Rice Terrace and Luo Ping (罗平) Canola f

Quote Originally Posted by cheersjy View Post

The 11-day tour will cost about RMB4600/pax, inclusive of land transport, food, accommodation and entrance fees for some of the scenic spots. Airfare will be on our own.

Looking to form a group of 4-6 pax. I can email you the detailed itinerary if you are interested. Thanks!
    That sounds too expensive for yunnan. You need to bargin down.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th December 2010 at 01:57 AM.

Default Re: Looking for Travel kakis – Yuan Yang (元阳) Rice Terrace and Luo Ping (罗平) Canola f

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That sounds too expensive for yunnan. You need to bargin down.
    Thanks pal for the advice.
    RMB4600 was for the 10 day trip in 2009 during CNY. I was told that i can use the figure as a reference, but the charge for this year will vary depending on the number of people traveling together and the number of days / places to visit.

RMB4600 for 11-day sounds reasonable to me. I just came back from a 8-day Yuan Yang Rice Terrace / Dongchuan Red Land and I paid about RMB415 a day. I enjoyed the trip very much and I benefited and learnt alot when it is led by a local professional photographer. Strongly recommended and I am likely to visit Yuan Yang (元阳) Rice Terrace again as we didn't get nice sunrise & sunset despite our 3-day stay there :-( Heard that Feb is one of the best time to visit this place but also the most crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by sayhitoant View Post
    RMB4600 for 11-day sounds reasonable to me. I just came back from a 8-day Yuan Yang Rice Terrace / Dongchuan Red Land and I paid about RMB415 a day. I enjoyed the trip very much and I benefited and learnt alot when it is led by a local professional photographer. Strongly recommended and I am likely to visit Yuan Yang (元阳) Rice Terrace again as we didn't get nice sunrise & sunset despite our 3-day stay there :-( Heard that Feb is one of the best time to visit this place but also the most crowded.
    Hey bro, glad to know about your good experience there.
    Now we have 5 persons, and welcome more to join us!

uh rmb4600 is that all i will need to spend?
    or do i still have to fork up extra???

Oh.. after taking a good look i see that we still have to come up with the $$ for the air fare..
    any idea how much will it be???
    Last edited by archdevll; 2nd January 2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archdevll View Post
    uh rmb4600 is that all i will need to spend?
    or do i still have to fork up extra???

Oh.. after taking a good look i see that we still have to come up with the $$ for the air fare..
    any idea how much will it be???
    I am not sure but we paid S$550 for a returrn air ticket (China Eastern Airlines) to Kunming. We bought the tickets 4 mths before our trip so it was much cheaper. A friend who wanted to join us later in the trip and the price of the ticket almost double. Since you guys are going there next month which is quite last minute, it should be quite expensive I think.

Beside air tickets, the only other costs that I could remember is tips for the driver. As a guide, S$2 to S$3 a day is good enough. Your local guide would probably advise you how much to give to the driver. We gave some tips to our local guide too as he was very professional and took good care of us during our 8-day trip there.

Cheers!

I am not sure but we paid S$550 for a returrn air ticket (China Eastern Airlines) to Kunming. We bought the tickets 4 mths before our trip so it was much cheaper. A friend who wanted to join us later in the trip and the price of the ticket almost double. Since you guys are going there next month which is quite last minute, it should be quite expensive I think.

Beside air tickets, the only other costs that I could remember is tips for the driver. As a guide, S$2 to S$3 a day is good enough. Your local guide would probably advise you how much to give to the driver. We gave some tips to our local guide too as he was very professional and took good care of us during our 8-day trip there.

Cheers!
    Haha, just found that we are having the same tour guide!
    And yes, our biggest headache now is to find cheap airfare

T__T.. okay... guess i'll have to plan further ahead
    thx tho ^__^ now that i know whats the place call... keep it in my must go list

Just an update - we changed it to a 9 day trip (19-27 Feb). Air ticket cost $655 (inclusive of taxes). Land trip is estimated to be around RMB460/pax/day.

Final update:

Five of us already booked the air ticket for this trip. Here's the latest figures:

Land tour charges (inclusive of transport, food, accommodation and entrance fees for 9 days):
    6pax and above: RMB4000/pax
    8pax and above: RMB3800/pax

China Eastern MU 5094 19FEB SIN-KMG HK5 Depart 0300 arrive 0635
    China Eastern MU 5093 27FEB KMG-SIN HK5 Depart 2130 arrive #0200
    Air ticket SGD655 per pax

You are welcome to join us!

Good to know that your trip is confirmed. The quotation of the land tour is a good deal, IMHO, and the air tickets is not expensive considering that this is a last minute kind of booking. I took the same flight timing as you and with this timing, you guys are going to have a solid 9-day shooting.

I didn't see nice sunrise and sunset at Yuanyang during my dec trip but I heard and read that Feb is the best time to visit these 2 places. So, I am looking forward to see your beautiful photos, since I didn't get them myself , when you come back.

For those who are still undecided, think no further, you will not regret it.

PS - sound like I am advertising for this trip. I do not know cheersjy

Good to know that your trip is confirmed. The quotation of the land tour is a good deal, IMHO, and the air tickets is not expensive considering that this is a last minute kind of booking. I took the same flight timing as you and with this timing, you guys are going to have a solid 9-day shooting.

I didn't see nice sunrise and sunset at Yuanyang during my dec trip but I heard and read that Feb is the best time to visit these 2 places. So, I am looking forward to see your beautiful photos, since I didn't get them myself , when you come back.

For those who are still undecided, think no further, you will not regret it.

PS - sound like I am advertising for this trip. I do not know cheersjy
    Haha, thanks bro
    By the way, can share with us your photos taken at Yunnan?

Still looking for one more to join the 5 of us!

Quote Originally Posted by cheersjy View Post
    Haha, thanks bro
    By the way, can share with us your photos taken at Yunnan?
    As per your request, here are two images taken during my dec trip last year! One at Dongchuan Red Land & one at Yuan Yang Rice Terrace

Dongchuan Red Land, Luoxia Valley (东川红土地,落霞沟)

Yuan Yang Rice Terrace - Tiger Mouth (老虎嘴)
    Note: Photoshop Adjustment - Hue (-38), Saturation (+95)

Feel free to comment and critique these 2 images.

Amazing images! I am speechless!!

Yuan Yang Rice Terrace - Tiger Mouth (老虎嘴)
    This is amazing ! I can't wait to be there.

Well there's actually a cheaper way to get there if u have extra days to spare and willing to travel outside your "comfort zone".

Take a flight to Hanoi, from there catch the overnight train to Laocai (the same town that visitors go on their way to Sapa). From Laocai u can practically walk across the border to Hekou, China. From Hekou, u can take the bus to Yuanyang.

BTW not far from Yuangyang is Jianshui, another interesting town. I think some famous HK serial drama was shot there, can't remember... was it Taiqi Master?

up for the thread, we are still looking for one more person