Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any shop selling extension tube for macro shot?

Default Re: Any shop selling extension tube for macro shot?

Pse. do not expect immediate success. You need a steady pair of hands and good lighting.

If you don't have a steady pair of hands, you'll need a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    Try shooting at steady subjects first...it would be easier for you to learn!
    Ya thanks for ur advice. Will try out ^^b

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    trust me, when you start shooting insects, you will realise that distance is a boon, rather than a bane.

300mm working distance is very comfortable. in fact, 150-200mm is more than enough for things like dragonfly. for more jumpy subjects like butterflies, a longer working distance is always welcome. dragonflies are a lot more forgiving. even if you disturb them and they leave their perch, they will return. better to shoot in the early mornings before the body has warmed up and they are active. and please, always remember, do not destroy nature just to get your pictures. we have had loads of jokers here do silly things like keep the dragonfly in the room or carry it home to shoot, etc.

some of these images are cropped slightly, btw..

i can't really remember the dsitance, but there's a distance scale on your lens itself... if i'm not wrong, it should be 0.95 m ? not that far mar. insects not so happy to have humans looking at them through large lenses y'know.
    Haha bro don worry i just want to take good picture and not to destroy the nature.

I will follow ur advice and will also take some photos and share with u guys when im free.
    Canon 6D|EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM|Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM|YongNuo Speedlite YN560|Manfrotto 7302YB

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Pse. do not expect immediate success. You need a steady pair of hands and good lighting.

If you don't have a steady pair of hands, you'll need a tripod.
    Yes sir. Don worry, army also train us before on how to hold a gun to shoot marksman. So no problem with that lol =P
    Canon 6D|EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM|Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM|YongNuo Speedlite YN560|Manfrotto 7302YB

maybe i just get a +4 macro filter for my 18-55mm lens to play around since the filter cost on 25 bucks. No pain on the wallet =)

Once you're proficient with the closeup lens (1 element), you can move on to a Raynox DCR-250 (3 element).

The #4 closeup lens is diopter 4

The Raynox DCR-250 is diopter 8 (double the magnification)

If you don't mind waiting, you can get cheap extension tubes & closeup filters from dealextreme.com or ebay. I personally feel that auto-focus is not important when taking macros, and it's easier to move the camera to do the focusing.

can i know if the DCR-250 can be used on a 50mm Sigma F1.4?

Once you're proficient with the closeup lens (1 element), you can move on to a Raynox DCR-250 (3 element).

The #4 closeup lens is diopter 4

The Raynox DCR-250 is diopter 8 (double the magnification)

Quote Originally Posted by iandao View Post
    can i know if the DCR-250 can be used on a 50mm Sigma F1.4?
    You can use it if your camera have a APS-C sensor. The DCR-250 can be used with a lens of 75mm or longer (35mm format)

50mmX1.6 (crop factor)=80mm

i see..thanks~!

You can use it if your camera have a APS-C sensor. The DCR-250 can be used with a lens of 75mm or longer (35mm format)

50mmX1.6 (crop factor)=80mm

Taking macro photo of insects require special skill and patient which I found it more difficult than any landscape or event photographic. I found out my most expensive investment on lens are the extension tube, closeup filter and macro lens. I calculate by the (price of the lens) / (no. of photo taken) = price per photo. So, just buy base on your needs. Happy shooting.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

can u elaborate more on 'special skill' ?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    Taking macro photo of insects require special skill and patient which I found it more difficult than any landscape or event photographic. I found out my most expensive investment on lens are the extension tube, closeup filter and macro lens. I calculate by the (price of the lens) / (no. of photo taken) = price per photo. So, just buy base on your needs. Happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by iandao View Post
    can u elaborate more on 'special skill' ?
    You need to know when will be good time of the day to shoot that insects. Need skills to know the location and know to hunt for them. Need special skill to move slowly your camera toward the insects, press the shutter button if still there. If no time to set up the tripod then you need special lighting and very steady hand and etc.

Last edited by SilverPine; 24th December 2010 at 09:48 AM.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

i see..those skills are only acquired over time i suppose~

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    You need to know when will be good time of the day to shoot that insects. Need skills to know the location and know to hunt for them. Need special skill to move slowly your camera toward the insects, press the shutter button if still there. If no time to set up the tripod then you need special lighting and very steady hand and etc.

Just brought the size 58 +4 close up filter for my 18-55 lens. Not bad at all =)
    Last edited by Kimutaku; 4th January 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Hi guys, i found this 2 brand which is SteinZeiser and Vitacon 0.5x wide angle converter with macro. Any 1 know which brand is better and what is the current price in the market.

I try to ask the price for Vitacon from Orient Photo from sls is $85 and SteinZeiser from 1 of the second floor camera shop which selling $130.

But still izzit really a worth to buy if i get the Vitacon as both the same type of converter but different brand and price. Duno izzit the price difference is due to image quality which produce from both the converter.
    Last edited by Kimutaku; 4th January 2011 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimutaku View Post
    Hi guys, i found this 2 brand which is SteinZeiser and Vitacon 0.5x wide angle converter with macro. Any 1 know which brand is better and what is the current price in the market.

I try to ask the price for Vitacon from Orient Photo from sls is $85 and SteinZeiser from 1 of the second floor camera shop which selling $130.

But still izzit really a worth to buy if i get the Vitacon as both the same type of converter but different brand and price. Duno izzit the price difference is due to image quality which produce from both the converter.
    hi,

if you do a search within CS, you'll find alot of negative comments on these filters.. read those before deciding if you would wanna get any one of those

cheers
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

oic... i also think so after reading some of the relate thread. Lucky i never buy... Even though onli cos 85 bucks but from wat i see from the original, the thing don even cos that much. LOL

yup.. before you do any purchase, it's good to do a search on the product in CS/ google first and look at the reviews on it.. so that'll you'll know that it's money well spent..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12