Thread: Casio Exilim EX-ZR10 opinions?

Default Casio Exilim EX-ZR10 opinions?

So much attention given to S95 and LX5, are we missing out or neglecting other cameras?

I saw an interesting new model Exilim EX-ZR10 (released in Sep 2010) from Casio, and did a search on the internet. Some reviews were found but mainly from editors, and not end-consumers like us. You may also want to take a look at the specs from the link below.

What I'm impressed by the ZR10 are the high speed and mulit-processor features that allow 14x optical equivalent zoom (original is 7x), HDR (with saturation tweaking), and ingenious high speed video mode that allows zooming and taking still images while recording video. This camera is selling at $499 according to Harvey Norman's pricing. So it might be even cheaper elsewhere.

My only concern is the picture quality from this new camera when taking shots in daylight, indoor low-light, night scene, etc. It is rather hard to find appropriate pictures comparison on the internet for this camera.

Anyone here would like to share his/her opinion on comparing this hi-tech ZR10 with S95 and LX5?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Casio Exilim EX-ZR10 opinions?

moved from Review sect
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close

Here are some HDR photos using ZR10.

Photos are over-saturated, but many HDR night shots turned out well.

So far I have not seen any normal night shots taken by this camera, and thus wonder how good/bad it can perform under low-light or high iso settings.

so many hi-tech features yet no one interested, to even make any comment.
    Casio is really a failure with compact cameras I guess?

I just bought this camera from Harvey Norman. The staff there asked how come recently got many people asking about this recently. The reason is simple: everyone read it from Today newspaper. Before I have time to do a better review, here are some of my opinions. I hope this will be useful for potential buyer.

Where to buy? - Harvey Norman & Gaincity definitely have. HN seems to offer a better deal. Courts & Challenger don't carry. Best Denki & Carrefour unknown. Normal retail camera shops rarely carry.

Price? - Normally stated as $500+ (around $529 - $549 depending on bundled items); there is no problem to get at $499.

For Who? - I would recommend for anyone who wants a fuss-free, user-friendly camera. Very good for casual gatherings and not for serious photography. Potential buyer should download the camera manual from Casio website to know more about this camera model.

- 290 shots per battery charge; pocketable, light, good interface, not complicated, good buttons layout.
    - High speed multiprocessor that can take super high frame rate, HDR, HDR ART (i.e. pseudo HDR)
    - Night scene with portrait is very good when there's no tripod. What you get is bright backround with clear face.
    - HD video (stereo); super high frame rate (can even take slow-mo); can zoom, autofocus and capture still images while recording.
    - Default optical zoom is 7x (starting from 28mm), extended optical zoom (by merging images) is 14x. (not even talking about digital zoom)

- Picture quality not as good as S95, LX5
    - lack aperture and shutter speed control

It is very good for social gathering and overseas travel. It has some very unique features which appeals to certain groups of users (esp video). Don't expect HDR and HDR ART to be fantastic and don't compare the image quality to the league of S95 and LX5.

120fps@640x480 is the most frequent used setting for me, why they removed it?

Why EX-ZR10 upgraded to dual CPU but the frame rate of high speed video reminded the same?

Dual CPU supposed to get double speed isn't it?

Casio should made something like this for the next model in this year:

All these taken handheld.
    No post processing, only resizing. - originals are slightly clearer.
    Sorry for big pictures as I dun really know how to post pics.

1st pic - Auto (almost pitch dark so taken at iso3200)
    2nd pic - Nite scene (iso800)
    3rd pic - HDR ART (or Pseudo HDR)

Without any tripod, I also took using 1 hand (self-take) of my wife's and my own (together) portrait
    against the same nite backdrop and everything (foreground and background) looks well exposed.

Last edited by sin77; 8th January 2011 at 10:22 AM.