Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

From their website.

http://www.marinabaysands.com/SandsS....aspx#tabs_1_4

So, those with PnS, better bring those with Manual control. I consider lucky to have my DSLR up there?

So, next time whenever need to go some places, check their website first. haha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

I read this thread days ago and benefited from the info here, so I thought I should give something back. Before going up yesterday, I bought a gorrilapod knock-off at Funan. I also had my tripod with me (which proved useless.)

First of all, there are tons of people up there with DSLRs. In fact, there are more DSLRs than PnS as far as I can see. So that issue is settled. For tripods, they never question you on it when you buy the ticket, take the lift up, or even when you walk around all day up there. I even had it fully extended to hang my camera bag, still no staff questioned me.

Then, I mounted my DSLR on it and barely took one photo, that's when one guy came over and told me it's not allowed. I told him I am not obstructing anyone. I had the legs only slightly extended, and I pretty much 'surrounded' my tripod so nobody could have bumped into it but he still cited 'safety' reasons. I spent the rest of the time there shooting with the gorrilapod knock-off I bought earlier. Even when I was moving around later on with my tripod fully retracted and not in use, another staff issued a 'friendly reminder' not to use it. So I suggest you leave your tripod at home and get yourself a gorrilapod or similar product before going there.

As for shooting with the gorrilapod, your experience may vary but here's mine. I can't shoot on the upper floor cos there's no good place for the gorrilapod to grip, so can only shoot on 56th floor, which is okay. But even on the 56th floor, there is no good place for gripping. I had to carefully extend my lens out of the barrier, between the metal wire and the plexiglass. The bottom of my lens barrel had to rest on the plexiglass while I tried to move the three legs of the gorrilapod around to stabilize the whole setup. It is a very unstable arrangement. One knock and the whole thing could tip over. To make matters worse, I don't have a neck strap on the camera, so the potential was there for my camera to fly down 56 floors and shatter into pieces, potentially killing someone I did keep both hands just centimetres away from the camera body, ready to grab it should something happens.

On Sunday I was there and it was packed! And I saw 2 separate photographers shooting with tripods fully extended. I think everyone should just keep bringing their tripods there until the guards get sick of it and stop pestering.
    always the Light, .... always.

Just curious... I have been to MBS but I did not bring my tripod. Is there anything up there that worth taking the risk of losing your camera?
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

If bros want to bring their tripod there of course they can. I just rather lose the weight. If the guards stop pestering then they are not doing their jobs. Any change will have to come from management.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    Just curious... I have been to MBS but I did not bring my tripod. Is there anything up there that worth taking the risk of losing your camera?
    If you've been there you can decide for yourself. For those who haven't been there, IMHO there are three potential 'sections' to take good pics of. First, there's the shot towards the tall buildings across the water, then there's the durians, and the Marina Bay hotels. If your lens is wide enough, you can take in both areas at the same time or do panoramas. The last section is the Helix, the highways, and the Flyer. When the Barrage area is completed then there's a fourth area.

Last edited by neech7; 8th March 2011 at 10:36 PM.

This whole issue could be resolved if management instituted 2 or 3 small "designated tripod areas" which could be cordoned off for photographic purposes.

Good one but why? If ppl cannot even follow a no tripod rule, you think they will stick to a few designated areas?

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Good one but why? If ppl cannot even follow a no tripod rule, you think they will stick to a few designated areas?
    MBS gives an inch, all the photographers take a yard. why make it so difficult for the security personnel to remember so many things? i.e. tripods over here, no tripods over there.

and inevitably, there'll be the complain kings and queens who'll accost the security personnel "i paid twenty dollars to come up and you tell me that i can only use my tripod there? why not here? here the view is nicer. why like that? i dunch care. i want to complain. where is your boss? where is your manager? i tell you ah! what kind of service blah blah blah blah....".

i pity the security guys.. really

the last time I went there, it was during a rehearsal for NDP. everyone was expecting fireworks display so there were quite a number of photographers crowded in front of the glass wall facing Fullerton, and that was like 3pm in the evening! When night falls people start to squeeze their way to secure a place to view fireworks, and then tada, tripods pop out everywhere like mushrooms.

People behind start yelling at the ignorant photographers who setup tripods in front...
    "I pay the same price why I can't see fireworks?"
    "I also pay the same price why I can't shoot?"
    "I also pay the same and I want to get my shot!"
    worse still... "I came here at 3pm, you came late so don't complain"

By all means I have no intentions to say that it is wrong to setup tripods at MBS; but the rules were there for a reason.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    the last time I went there, it was during a rehearsal for NDP. everyone was expecting fireworks display so there were quite a number of photographers crowded in front of the glass wall facing Fullerton, and that was like 3pm in the evening! When night falls people start to squeeze their way to secure a place to view fireworks, and then tada, tripods pop out everywhere like mushrooms.

People behind start yelling at the ignorant photographers who setup tripods in front...
    "I pay the same price why I can't see fireworks?"
    "I also pay the same price why I can't shoot?"
    "I also pay the same and I want to get my shot!"
    worse still... "I came here at 3pm, you came late so don't complain"

By all means I have no intentions to say that it is wrong to setup tripods at MBS; but the rules were there for a reason.
    That's funny! I had no idea MBS was so crowded that night. I was on the ground near the Merlion trying to find a good position to set up my gear. It was crowded on the ground that night too but I didn't hear too many people complaining.

Bcos people have to pay to enter MBS, but at ground level no need to pay, so nothing to complain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123