Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

  1. #21

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Just come back from MBS skypark.

    Start to set up tripod, told not allow, but away from him, ok, haha!

    Half way, another waiter told me not allow.

    Went to one area, quite empty with ppl. I set up tripod, with almost no space to move out, was told tripod not allow. Reason, scare kids run n knock it down. (dont make sense)

    Check with another security. He suggested that customer should write in abt the tripod issue. I think he is correct. Although I went up FOC, i pity those who paid $20 and not allow to use tripod. (esp alone)

    I think the rules are stupid. We, photographers, die die take care of our equipment more than the people with/around us. Thinking of writing to the paper and ask for a explanantion. Esp those media ppl are allow with tripod during NDP.

    Really spoilt my mood on photography on skypark. I was so happy taking photos on ground but not on the skypark. If tripod so easy to fall, should it be ban on all places?
    your bad customer service experience is due to lack of dissemination of information from management down.

    like a broken telephone, everyone's got their own interpretation of "why tripods should not be used while at the sky park".

    my guess (which is from my experience in hospitality) is that they know that there's an amazing view out there.

    they don't want people to miss that view, but they sure don't wanna deal with their own hotel/restaurant guests complaining that the whole sky park's view is blocked because of a bunch of "photographers" are taking pictures.

    you allow one to set up a tripod, there'll be a whole mess of them who'll do the same and it'll block the view, and create an eyesore for the others.

    just my 2 cents

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    When i was there, it's quite empty. Enough space for me to slp, haha!

    If tripod not allow, why TWO huge speakers on tripod are there? If the place is crowded and some blur sotong hit 1 of the tripod, imagine the impact caused by the speaker.

    I feels that there aren't much fairness around nowadays anyway. Look at the cyclist/motorlist issue, more than enough, haha!

    I doubt i will be at sky park again, if not for free, haha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  3. #23

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post

    If tripod not allow, why TWO huge speakers on tripod are there? If the place is crowded and some blur sotong hit 1 of the tripod, imagine the impact caused by the speaker.
    i think you're missing the point of what i mentioned, so i'll mention it again:

    imagine if they allowed tripods. won't there be a load of people going up there to set up tripods? it'll greatly block the view of patrons getting the view of the singapore skyline.especially at night when the skyline's the most beautiful.

    my dear sir, not to sound sarcastic or whatever, but you got up FREE. others paid $20+ to go up.

    the MBS' guests pay hundreds to thousands to stay/dine there.

    now whose interest do you think the management would want to protect?

  4. #24
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i think you're missing the point of what i mentioned, so i'll mention it again:

    imagine if they allowed tripods. won't there be a load of people going up there to set up tripods? it'll greatly block the view of patrons getting the view of the singapore skyline.especially at night when the skyline's the most beautiful.

    my dear sir, not to sound sarcastic or whatever, but you got up FREE. others paid $20+ to go up.

    the MBS' guests pay hundreds to thousands to stay/dine there.

    now whose interest do you think the management would want to protect?



  5. #25

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    There was once I went up with 2 of my friend, one used a small Sirui T-1005 and I was using the Gorrilapod. I was shooting, MBS personel noticed but didn't give a damn as I wasn't obstructing the place. Then he went to my friend, and asked my friend to deploy and keep the tripod. After some reasoning, he allowed both my friend and I shoot with the tripod.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i think you're missing the point of what i mentioned, so i'll mention it again:

    imagine if they allowed tripods. won't there be a load of people going up there to set up tripods? it'll greatly block the view of patrons getting the view of the singapore skyline.especially at night when the skyline's the most beautiful.

    my dear sir, not to sound sarcastic or whatever, but you got up FREE. others paid $20+ to go up.

    the MBS' guests pay hundreds to thousands to stay/dine there.

    now whose interest do you think the management would want to protect?
    I went up free cause my friend booked a room over there but still, we couldn't setup tripod there. Btw, shouldn't they put a sign on ground floor saying no tripod are allow to be there in the first place? All are verbal, so, the truth is ......
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  7. #27
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I went up free cause my friend booked a room over there but still, we couldn't setup tripod there. Btw, shouldn't they put a sign on ground floor saying no tripod are allow to be there in the first place? All are verbal, so, the truth is ......

    But there are.

    There are placards situated in key entry points with a photo of a tripod and a big red NO sign.

  8. #28
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    There was once I went up with 2 of my friend, one used a small Sirui T-1005 and I was using the Gorrilapod. I was shooting, MBS personel noticed but didn't give a damn as I wasn't obstructing the place. Then he went to my friend, and asked my friend to deploy and keep the tripod. After some reasoning, he allowed both my friend and I shoot with the tripod.
    Yea, I guess Gorillapods are our best option for now.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    But there are.

    There are placards situated in key entry points with a photo of a tripod and a big red NO sign.
    I didnt see any leh. They should put in the lifts so that every 1 can see

    Btw, over there got a studio. I think they ban tripod cause the studio will have no bussiness if every 1 taking nice night view over there.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  10. #30
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

    i think you're missing the point of what i mentioned, so i'll mention it again:

    imagine if they allowed tripods. won't there be a load of people going up there to set up tripods? it'll greatly block the view of patrons getting the view of the singapore skyline.especially at night when the skyline's the most beautiful.

    my dear sir, not to sound sarcastic or whatever, but you got up FREE. others paid $20+ to go up.

    the MBS' guests pay hundreds to thousands to stay/dine there.

    now whose interest do you think the management would want to protect?
    So if I go a restaurant and order a drink , I should expect the waiters to treat me shabbily compared to the guy who throws a party and opens 10 bottles of expensive wine?

    All paid, all said, if they really want to protect hotel guests' interest? Bar all external guests.

    Prohibit all tripods from the external entrance. Otherwise, you can expect to get comments that this policy is enforced erratically and when you pay the entrance fee, it's a gamble to see if you can use your tripod.

    How would you feel if you had been told by a friend that he could use a tripod the day before, and the next day you can't? Humans are concerned about equity.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 20th February 2011 at 10:27 AM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Just come back from MBS skypark.

    Start to set up tripod, told not allow, but away from him, ok, haha!

    Half way, another waiter told me not allow.

    Went to one area, quite empty with ppl. I set up tripod, with almost no space to move out, was told tripod not allow. Reason, scare kids run n knock it down. (dont make sense)

    Check with another security. He suggested that customer should write in abt the tripod issue. I think he is correct. Although I went up FOC, i pity those who paid $20 and not allow to use tripod. (esp alone)

    I think the rules are stupid. We, photographers, die die take care of our equipment more than the people with/around us. Thinking of writing to the paper and ask for a explanantion. Esp those media ppl are allow with tripod during NDP.

    Really spoilt my mood on photography on skypark. I was so happy taking photos on ground but not on the skypark. If tripod so easy to fall, should it be ban on all places?
    I went there with my tripods and was also told by security that the tripods was banned.

    I pointed to the holes on the ground and told the security that they were tripod holes.

    He believed me and let me carry on happily shooting.
    Last edited by Sion; 20th February 2011 at 10:38 AM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I didnt see any leh. They should put in the lifts so that every 1 can see

    Btw, over there got a studio. I think they ban tripod cause the studio will have no bussiness if every 1 taking nice night view over there.
    The placards are the first things I noticed when I went there, but I have to admit that they aren't that big enough and they can easily be missed. Or maybe they can put a big one at the ticket counter? Honestly, I'm appalled as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    So if I go a restaurant and order a drink , I should expect the waiters to treat me shabbily compared to the guy who throws a party and opens 10 bottles of expensive wine?

    All paid, all said, if they really want to protect hotel guests' interest? Bar all external guests.

    Prohibit all tripods from the external entrance. Otherwise, you can expect to get comments that this policy is enforced erratically and when you pay the entrance fee, it's a gamble to see if you can use your tripod.

    How would you feel if you had been told by a friend that he could use a tripod the day before, and the next day you can't? Humans are concerned about equity.
    Welcome to the real world. Double standards is a bitch.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I went there with my tripods and was also told by security that the tripods was banned.

    I pointed to the holes on the ground and told the security that they were tripod holes.

    He believed me and let me carry on happily shooting.
    If tripod not allow, I am wondering why there are 2 BIG tripod supporting 2 BIG speakers over there. The CG of that thing is high, can be push over more easily than a camera tripod. The speaker also can cause great injure to other, shouldn't they ban it?

    Furthermore, those who bring tripod up there, should have some/enough knowledge of setting up the tripod @ a safe space. If too crowded, we also paiseh to setup. Our body are protecting the tripod, so, no chance for other to knock our beloved tripod down. Got once, my tripod is so near to the wall, my friend ask me, how am i going to come out.

    This issue, really need to stomp or make news about it, haha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  14. #34

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    I thought tripod are too eye catchy so usually for these high volume, high rise or high profile areas, I use a monopod that is fast to setup. I went with my friend up there and both of us are using monopods. No guards approach us.

    Dun bother using very prominent photography gear in public areas especially in SG. Not only you need to fumble over your stuffs, you inconvenient others and attract alot of unnecessary stares especially in Asian countries.

  15. #35
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp


    Welcome to the real world. Double standards is a bitch.
    There are different ways of implementation. The restaurant that treats all patrons well, regardless of what they order, will be likely to get more people returning. Do I like the view from MBS Skypark? Yes. Would I go? No. Not until a clear policy is pushed. If no tripods are allowed, even the presidential suite guest can't do it. That's how it should be, if not what are rules for?

  16. #36
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    There are different ways of implementation. The restaurant that treats all patrons well, regardless of what they order, will be likely to get more people returning. Do I like the view from MBS Skypark? Yes. Would I go? No. Not until a clear policy is pushed. If no tripods are allowed, even the presidential suite guest can't do it. That's how it should be, if not what are rules for?
    Aiya.. Just shake it off will you. Unfair as it is, but that's how it is. Unless there's anyone here who got balls and petition against the no tripods policy then there's nothing much we can do but rant the day away.

    Don't get me wrong. I hate double standards. Hate is not even the best word for it, but this is not the fight for me. No one has won it and I don't think anyone ever will.

    I rest my case.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 20th February 2011 at 01:03 PM.

  17. #37
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp

    Aiya.. Just shake it off will you. Unfair as it is, but that's how is. Unless there's anyone here who got balls and petition against the no tripods policy then there's nothing much we can do but rant the day away.

    Don't get me wrong. I hate double standards. Hate is not even the best word for it, but this is not the fight for me. No one has won it and I don't think anyone ever will.

    I rest my case.
    Well, to be frank, you never know. But unfortunately, I'm not inclined to even drop a letter to management because of the entry price - even if they allowed tripods, I'd probably think thrice before going.

    Why do you think this needs balls? All you need is a computer, and google. Bet you I could source out some of MBS management's emails if I wanted to.

    Just expressing a point of view, hope you find nothing wrong with that. Whether you can achieve something is quite different and distinct from having an opinion about it, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned about whether I post my opinion here or not?
    Last edited by edutilos-; 20th February 2011 at 11:52 AM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Why do you think this needs balls? All you need is a computer, and google. Bet you I could source out some of MBS management's emails if I wanted to.
    Well, that's balls already. Doing something about a situation is balls.


    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Just expressing a point of view, hope you find nothing wrong with that. Whether you can achieve something is quite different and distinct from having an opinion about it, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned about whether I post my opinion here or not?
    Of course lah bro. We're free to express opinions here. You address me so I address you. That's all there is to it. It's just so that we have different views regarding this matter. Enjoy your Sunday.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    i see i stirred up a bit of s*** here

  20. #40

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sands - Tripod

    Just get over it seriously. A cheap $25 China Gorrilapod will do the job and they have nothing to say when I use it. And even they allow tripods, I don't so it be good too, I've used tripod there, the ground is made up of strips of wood, so people who walk past will cause vibrations, ending up with Camera Shakes.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •