Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 108

Thread: Renez {Random Vision}

  1. #41
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    You seem to have focussing problems in 46a&b and 46e&f as well. (I'd toss them out of this collection, if I were you)
    Your framing is still fantastic, but the oof distracts.

    47 and 51 both have too much headroom. A simple crop would have been enough, and I assume that you could not aim the camera lower during the shoot, or else, that would have been the next alternative. Also in 51, watch your horizon.

    Note: Horizons are a funny thing. If you had to make it level, it needs to be "dead-level" or else turn it at very oblique angles. Otherwise, the slightest "tilt", would make it obvious enough to distract. Press "ctrl+r" to bring out the ruler, from which you drag down "guidelines" in Photoshop for you to check.

    In the old days of the 4x5 View camera, we employed the "rise and fall" to keep all verticals straight and parallel for all architectural shots. You might want to read up about it to at least have better grasp of the general idea....

    Cheers

    Okie.. For the focusing part, i usually auto focus or even set manual one focusing point. Sometimes when i shoot panoramas/landscape i get this prob too, cant focus on much point.. soo i use a higher aperture to get most of the things sharp. What do u suggest?

    For headroom, #47.. my personal view is the space do makes the photo looks better in a way.. for #51, way to improve.

    For the horizon part, I'm trying to use my eyes as e ruler.. dun wana too rely on photoshop.. keep on practicing still.

  2. #42
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle-san View Post
    I love your stuff. Can't really quite care about any technical problem because so far what I see here outweighs them big time.

    Your composition and processing is fantastic! Colors, tonal values are all sweet!

    Keep them coming! I'll be stalking this thread XD
    Haha. Thank U very much. Really Appreciate it!!

  3. #43
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    #52 - Leaf



    #53a & b - Old Playground





    #54 - Off Center



    #55 - Sunny Rain

  4. #44

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    GOSH !! Your new pictures are EVEN more beautiful !!!

    Okie.. For the focusing part, i usually auto focus or even set manual one focusing point. Sometimes when i shoot panoramas/landscape i get this prob too, cant focus on much point..
    MC: Switch off your autofocus, and shoot it in manual then, and see if it helps.



    soo i use a higher aperture to get most of the things sharp. What do u suggest?
    MC: Definitely the WRONG way to do it. The high-noise 'covers up' the oof. NOT the correct way. try aiming at an object with contrast/ detail, and let the autofocus lock on it. The, recompose your picture. Try to keep both "temp focusing target" and final target on the same plane/ distance. (This is a really old Point-and-shoot technique.)



    For headroom, #47.. my personal view is the space do makes the photo looks better in a way.. for #51, way to improve.
    MC: That's alrite. One of the things to avoid usually, is lines which divide the pix into 2 equal parts. There are instances where you want to use the "formal" framing which means that everything is balanced, left and right, like shot of the Taj Mahal, as per shot through the archway, but those opportunities rarely come by for 99.9% of the time. It is for the same reason, that most will tell you NOT to keep the horizon of the Sea dead in the centre of the pix. It "cuts" the pix in half. The wires with the 2 birds were doing that to the pix.


    For the horizon part, I'm trying to use my eyes as e ruler.. dun wana too rely on photoshop.. keep on practicing still.
    MC: If your camera allows it, then switch on the horizon guidelines/ gridlines. All 4x5 cameras had grids on the ground-glass to make sure that we shot everything parallel to everything else
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

  5. #45
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    GOSH !! Your new pictures are EVEN more beautiful !!!

    Okie.. For the focusing part, i usually auto focus or even set manual one focusing point. Sometimes when i shoot panoramas/landscape i get this prob too, cant focus on much point..
    MC: Switch off your autofocus, and shoot it in manual then, and see if it helps.



    soo i use a higher aperture to get most of the things sharp. What do u suggest?
    MC: Definitely the WRONG way to do it. The high-noise 'covers up' the oof. NOT the correct way. try aiming at an object with contrast/ detail, and let the autofocus lock on it. The, recompose your picture. Try to keep both "temp focusing target" and final target on the same plane/ distance. (This is a really old Point-and-shoot technique.)



    For headroom, #47.. my personal view is the space do makes the photo looks better in a way.. for #51, way to improve.
    MC: That's alrite. One of the things to avoid usually, is lines which divide the pix into 2 equal parts. There are instances where you want to use the "formal" framing which means that everything is balanced, left and right, like shot of the Taj Mahal, as per shot through the archway, but those opportunities rarely come by for 99.9% of the time. It is for the same reason, that most will tell you NOT to keep the horizon of the Sea dead in the centre of the pix. It "cuts" the pix in half. The wires with the 2 birds were doing that to the pix.


    For the horizon part, I'm trying to use my eyes as e ruler.. dun wana too rely on photoshop.. keep on practicing still.
    MC: If your camera allows it, then switch on the horizon guidelines/ gridlines. All 4x5 cameras had grids on the ground-glass to make sure that we shot everything parallel to everything else

    For the focus & horizon part, noted. Thanks.

    Erm.. wat u mean by "aiming at an object with contrast/ detail"? object w contrast / detail, example?

    For the line / separation in photos.. y is it so we cant have photos that looks like that..? I think the #47, does not look like the line has seperate any composition in the photo. And.. how about if i were to shoot reflection?? So by right, the line shouldnt b in the middle of the whole frame?

  6. #46
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Panoramas

    #56 - Jalan Besar



    #57 - PIE at Toa Payoh

  7. #47
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    #58 - Shadow Casting



    #59 - Another World



    #60 - Emo Blue



    #61 - Facade Reflection



    #62 - Uncompose

  8. #48

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Erm.. wat u mean by "aiming at an object with contrast/ detail"? object w contrast / detail, example?
    MC: The camera will find it easy to focus on a tree, but will hunt and hunt and hunt if you aim it at a blank wall with the sun behind you.


    For the line / separation in photos.. y is it so we cant have photos that looks like that..? I think the #47, does not look like the line has seperate any composition in the photo. And.. how about if i were to shoot reflection?? So by right, the line shouldnt b in the middle of the whole frame?
    MC: http://www.oldandsold.com/articles27...ition-22.shtml

    and
    http://www.colorpilot.com/comp_rules.html

    and
    http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/p...f-composition/

    and
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...pe-photography

    and there's thousands more of websites, and books, and so on...


    Happy hunting
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

  9. #49

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by Renez View Post
    I'm currently using 18-135mm lens for almost all shots.. Not knowing too much gear/equipment stuff. Thanks for the suggestion!!

    Yup, I resized by abit to fit into my copyright frame tingy. Lol. That one, i used 2000/sec.. yup.. noisy probably because ISO was set at 1600. My manual settings is needs alot more improvement.. any standard for this kinda landscape shoot?
    "you have talent, problem is you are too stubborn."

    this is what LSY described you while you were at TMC.
    if you really are not so sure about your gear then what is the point of going manual in the first place? you know how to shoot but always stick on going manual when in fact you can go auto or semi-auto on the camera settings. getting the better result than doing it your own way just because you think going full manual would make you a good photographer immediately wont cut it..
    icant say much about your still lifes and abstract but your architectural photos lack the correct post processing. if you think that you can judge everything as straight by just looking at it then you're wrong, and if you think one could make it straight just by photoshop, you're also wrong. the easiest way to see if you photos arent aligned is by enlarging its view larger than your monitor screen and drag the horizon/vertical part at the edges of your monitor to quickly see if its aligned or not.

  10. #50
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Erm.. wat u mean by "aiming at an object with contrast/ detail"? object w contrast / detail, example?
    MC: The camera will find it easy to focus on a tree, but will hunt and hunt and hunt if you aim it at a blank wall with the sun behind you.


    For the line / separation in photos.. y is it so we cant have photos that looks like that..? I think the #47, does not look like the line has seperate any composition in the photo. And.. how about if i were to shoot reflection?? So by right, the line shouldnt b in the middle of the whole frame?
    MC: http://www.oldandsold.com/articles27...ition-22.shtml

    and
    http://www.colorpilot.com/comp_rules.html

    and
    http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/p...f-composition/

    and
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...pe-photography

    and there's thousands more of websites, and books, and so on...


    Happy hunting

    Haha. Okie. Thanks alot!! Appreciate it!!

  11. #51

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Just a quick note to add...

    If you are ONLY shooting for yourself, then NONE of the "rules" apply.
    Underexposed, overexposed, bad framing, rule of thirteens, anything goes...

    However, if you are planning on shooting commercially, or for publications, any "breaking of the rules" will see you jobless for a long time..
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

  12. #52
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by naynoy View Post
    "you have talent, problem is you are too stubborn."

    this is what LSY described you while you were at TMC.
    if you really are not so sure about your gear then what is the point of going manual in the first place? you know how to shoot but always stick on going manual when in fact you can go auto or semi-auto on the camera settings. getting the better result than doing it your own way just because you think going full manual would make you a good photographer immediately wont cut it..
    icant say much about your still lifes and abstract but your architectural photos lack the correct post processing. if you think that you can judge everything as straight by just looking at it then you're wrong, and if you think one could make it straight just by photoshop, you're also wrong. the easiest way to see if you photos arent aligned is by enlarging its view larger than your monitor screen and drag the horizon/vertical part at the edges of your monitor to quickly see if its aligned or not.

    LSY? TMC??

    Erm.. Who rules you need to know all knowledge about gears inorder to use manual control? Likewise, if i dont touch on manual control i will never practice or learn at all. By using manual, i learn, practice & experience.. self-learn. By experiencing, I would actually know better more than not. I read about all these, and try it out.. and i ask for opinion here. Not as in i want to look professional.. if i were to, i wouldnt even post a thread here to ask for comment for improvement. Haha. However, i love to use aperture mode because I'm more familiar with aperture than shutter speed itself. For the photoshop part, u r also wrong in saying that.. i always try in reducing edit in photoshop.. however, i use adobe lightroom to actually do minor edit.

    Please share with me how you train yourself to know all manual controls n gears knowledge.. i would love to hear.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by Renez; 24th December 2010 at 10:44 AM.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by naynoy View Post
    "you have talent, problem is you are too stubborn."

    this is what LSY described you while you were at TMC.
    if you really are not so sure about your gear then what is the point of going manual in the first place? you know how to shoot but always stick on going manual when in fact you can go auto or semi-auto on the camera settings. getting the better result than doing it your own way just because you think going full manual would make you a good photographer immediately wont cut it..
    icant say much about your still lifes and abstract but your architectural photos lack the correct post processing. if you think that you can judge everything as straight by just looking at it then you're wrong, and if you think one could make it straight just by photoshop, you're also wrong. the easiest way to see if you photos arent aligned is by enlarging its view larger than your monitor screen and drag the horizon/vertical part at the edges of your monitor to quickly see if its aligned or not.
    =/ I normally don't respond to such posts but this ticked me a little.

    I don't know how you define terms such as 'good photographer' and 'correct post processing' I like how TS is creating her images and not conformed to the usual 'standard', 'manufactured' or 'politically/technically/morally correct' image.

    How about you give more precise insight on how to process things correctly by showing us some of your shots so it's easier to explain things?

    If you think there must be a certain fixed way an image should be handled then you are wrong.

    If you think any photos can be achieved using auto/half-auto setting and anyone who start out learning shouldn't go full manual just because they're not sure of what they're doing, you are also wrong.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Just a quick note to add...

    If you are ONLY shooting for yourself, then NONE of the "rules" apply.
    Underexposed, overexposed, bad framing, rule of thirteens, anything goes...

    However, if you are planning on shooting commercially, or for publications, any "breaking of the rules" will see you jobless for a long time..
    Keeping yourself within the rules will keep you as a safe photographer with no breakthrough.

    Break it. There'll be people who can't accept, likewise there'll be people who can accept it.
    Not all experiments will work but when you breakthrough it good. That's it.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by Renez View Post
    #16 - Bugis


    #18 - GuiLin Park



    #19 - Two Way, No Riding
    Walau these 2
    but for the guilin one...i'll crop off the rocks below and leave the focus on the middle
    Last edited by jeffchanjj; 24th December 2010 at 11:08 AM.

  16. #56
    Member AhFoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by naynoy View Post
    "you have talent, problem is you are too stubborn."

    this is what LSY described you while you were at TMC.
    if you really are not so sure about your gear then what is the point of going manual in the first place? you know how to shoot but always stick on going manual when in fact you can go auto or semi-auto on the camera settings. getting the better result than doing it your own way just because you think going full manual would make you a good photographer immediately wont cut it..
    icant say much about your still lifes and abstract but your architectural photos lack the correct post processing. if you think that you can judge everything as straight by just looking at it then you're wrong, and if you think one could make it straight just by photoshop, you're also wrong. the easiest way to see if you photos arent aligned is by enlarging its view larger than your monitor screen and drag the horizon/vertical part at the edges of your monitor to quickly see if its aligned or not.
    TS dun worry too much abt it, I love the way the photos is taken. Although some need abit of refinement like noise reduction and clone alway abit of dust, i love most of the composition.

    There is too many photos that LE and HDR for no reason but view as "correct", i like the simple processing u have done by placing on composition first.
    5DmkIII - 8-15mm f4.0L | EF 16-35 F2.8L II | EF 24-70 F2.8L | EF 50mm f1.2L | EF 100mm F2.8L Macro |

  17. #57
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Just a quick note to add...

    If you are ONLY shooting for yourself, then NONE of the "rules" apply.
    Underexposed, overexposed, bad framing, rule of thirteens, anything goes...

    However, if you are planning on shooting commercially, or for publications, any "breaking of the rules" will see you jobless for a long time..
    Okie.. Currently, shooting for myself but I wana improve to the standard til i can shoot for commercial. Please tell me more about all these rules. Hehe. Thanks!!

  18. #58
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle-san View Post
    Keeping yourself within the rules will keep you as a safe photographer with no breakthrough.

    Break it. There'll be people who can't accept, likewise there'll be people who can accept it.
    Not all experiments will work but when you breakthrough it good. That's it.
    Haha. Thanks alot!! I'll love to improve to the max.

  19. #59
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by AhFoo View Post
    TS dun worry too much abt it, I love the way the photos is taken. Although some need abit of refinement like noise reduction and clone alway abit of dust, i love most of the composition.

    There is too many photos that LE and HDR for no reason but view as "correct", i like the simple processing u have done by placing on composition first.
    Haha. Thank You!! Appreciate it lots!!

  20. #60
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Renez {Random Vision}

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffchanjj View Post
    Walau these 2
    but for the guilin one...i'll crop off the rocks below and leave the focus on the middle
    Haha. Thank You. For putting it in portrait, I prefer the rock to be in the frame actually.. Haha. If not, the sky space will be alittle too much in the whole photo. see it in panorama:

    #39 - Gui Lin Park

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •