Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MacBook pro? Window laptop?

Default Re: MacBook pro? Window laptop?

I prefer a Windows PC with a good screen.

Best part is being able to select my own screen.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    ..... somehow i don't know why, MACs seems to be able to totally skip the BIOs (black screens) and this makes them speed up a lot more faster than a PC (hibernating doesn't count, you still need to shutdown once in awhile to clear system cache)

Mac uses EFI. PC uses Bios. Two different concept to boot up. That's why Mac is more efficient.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Back then, I used to be skeptical about having a Macintosh system as I'm a pure Bill gate fanatic but when it comes down to comparing both and which to get, you got to ask yourself would would you want to use it for?

There was once when I had to stay at my cousin's house. Both uses a laptop running on 2.4GHz, which am the Window and he's the Mac. I find that Mac runs faster and especially with video editing, rendering part and etc. As for mine, it will take a helluva time just to get things loaded on the Windows and i'm saying running big application such Adobe After Effects. I used to think that i would never wanted to learn video editing and soon I gain interested but the only thing that is lacking would be my system that is a hassle to support video editing. Anyway, look at the bright side. There are a lot of things you could do with a Mac, like.. while you're at it, you can start learning Xcode to develop your own iPhone Apps.

Unless if you're a gamer, then you would prefer Windows for Call of Duty: Black Ops. :P

I read that some of the users said that, yes both of them could run programs like Photoshop and lightroom and it has the same features so why bother? While.. it is best to have the a lot of software on your system, so you could maximize your potential images. Sometimes, there are certain features on each software that is lacking and having all would be a versatile for you. Now if i were to use a windows, I could get Adobe but what if i wanna use Aperture? It wouldn't be a problem if i had a Mac and I could own both Adobe and Aperture right?

Besides, you can always switch over on to a Windows OS if you're on a Mac. Why did the dual boot up existed it the first place?
    Last edited by SulhanS; 1st January 2011 at 07:10 AM.

Both operating system should be equally adept at photo editing, really depends on which interface you feel more comfortable with. I doubt you're gg to use the laptop purely for photo editing so need so you probably need to consider that. Personally I prefer the mac interface!

Quote Originally Posted by sino238 View Post
    I don want to post my question in apple forums as i want a true real ans from those photography shooting lover here. I love shooting and I don want to get a MacBook pro with regret. Can Mac lover tell me why u all so support MacBook despite of it's high cost?

Screens normally look better on MacBook or MacBook Pro simply because Apple tends to overlook this closer than some Window laptop makers, then again there are the 10K laptop from HP and IBM that have screens fit for a pro DI person. Or you could go with Sony. End day with use of a hardware calibration device on both your Mac or Window laptop it could be a close thing. A large segment of the Mac users are non tech so they would rave at something that more or less makes it out the box. Spec wise when you compare costs it narrows done to a closer figure difference if you do apple to apple comparison and not apple to pear. Hardware calibration device you can borrow off friend that has one rather than buy yr own or come together to share a device - twice to 3 times a month max use device is not really worth it to buy - most people do calibration most once a month some 3monthly some yearly.

Generally a lot of people use Mac computers for photo, video and multimedia editing. I personally find that Mac displays look nicer, more vibrant and colourful.
    However, it also depends on your personal preference. If you're asking which to recommend for photo editing, I'd say both can be used.

Mac use UNIX as the base OS, so it is not as fat as Windows, and translate to faster responds given the same hardware. Unix manages the memory differently also, and I would say unix uses memory more efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I prefer a Windows PC with a good screen.

Best part is being able to select my own screen.
    The discussion is on Mobile computing right? MAC Pro can also choose your own screens

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Mac use UNIX as the base OS, so it is not as fat as Windows, and translate to faster responds given the same hardware. Unix manages the memory differently also, and I would say unix uses memory more efficiently.
    I see that you bought into Apple's bunk.

Have you ever seen the WinNT kernel stripped to less than 100MB?

And in addition, what makes you think that UNIX is so much more efficient that WinNT? Take a look at some Linux distros out (Ubuntu comes to mind) there using a*NIX-like kernel and they offer virtually no performance difference over Windows.

the three biggest pluses for the Mac (for me) are:
    1. Time Machine (really easy-to-use incremental backup to retreive your data/photos in the last few hours, days, or months)
    2. lack of Mac-viruses--no need to install a virus-scanner that slows down your system.
    3. really long battery life for long flights, long bus rides (though some Windows laptops like the Acer timelines have this too)
    4. reliable close-the-lid-to-standby, open-the-lid-to-wake-from-standby. i can go without rebooting for weeks. my Fujitsu has the same feature but it's so unreliable / unstable (maybe there are Windows laptops that can last for weeks without rebooting, using standby modes, but i'm not aware of them).

if I really need Windows, i'll just use VMWare / VirtualBox / Parallels / dual-boot.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    the three biggest pluses for the Mac (for me) are:
    1. Time Machine (really easy-to-use incremental backup to retreive your data/photos in the last few hours, days, or months)
    2. lack of Mac-viruses--no need to install a virus-scanner that slows down your system.
    3. really long battery life for long flights, long bus rides (though some Windows laptops like the Acer timelines have this too)
    4. reliable close-the-lid-to-standby, open-the-lid-to-wake-from-standby. i can go without rebooting for weeks. my Fujitsu has the same feature but it's so unreliable / unstable (maybe there are Windows laptops that can last for weeks without rebooting, using standby modes, but i'm not aware of them).

if I really need Windows, i'll just use VMWare / VirtualBox / Parallels / dual-boot.
    1. Er, anyone bother to let nathaniel know that there are similar backups in Wintel camp.
    2. Mac has viruses, you probably dunno if you have gotten them as you don't have an antivirus runnning. Hell, you might just have a keylogger running on your machine this moment.
    3. Slow performance machine suck less power so it can run longer, same concept as atom processors except their northbridge and southbridge sucks. Take the same spec, battery power to compare instead of just stating it.
    4. Do you do the same stuff as you do on both machines or do you simply just use your mac to surf the net and wintel to do serious work?

Thank goodness you know VMWare, so you know we can also run OSx in a sandbox.
    So lets not side any of them unless you do an apple-to-apple comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-sama View Post
    I see that you bought into Apple's bunk.

Have you ever seen the WinNT kernel stripped to less than 100MB?

And in addition, what makes you think that UNIX is so much more efficient that WinNT? Take a look at some Linux distros out (Ubuntu comes to mind) there using a*NIX-like kernel and they offer virtually no performance difference over Windows.
    I have build a linux kernel that can be loaded into a 16MB embeded device. I have also strip both the winNT kernel and Linux Kernel when I wrote my own OS. That is when I discover that winNT's code it really fat as compared to unix or linux for that matter. Go check out the linux kernel source code directly and you know the diff.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I have build a linux kernel that can be loaded into a 16MB embeded device. I have also strip both the winNT kernel and Linux Kernel when I wrote my own OS. That is when I discover that winNT's code it really fat as compared to unix or linux for that matter. Go check out the linux kernel source code directly and you know the diff.
    I have to agree on this.
    I have seen a 1++MB Linux webserver in uni before but never a winNT of that size.
    Of course it only runs the most basic of all basic functions as its a school project.

MAC!!!! for stability and ease of usage!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loneWolff

1. Er, anyone bother to let nathaniel know that there are similar backups in Wintel camp.
    2. Mac has viruses, you probably dunno if you have gotten them as you don't have an antivirus runnning. Hell, you might just have a keylogger running on your machine this moment.
    3. Slow performance machine suck less power so it can run longer, same concept as atom processors except their northbridge and southbridge sucks. Take the same spec, battery power to compare instead of just stating it.
    4. Do you do the same stuff as you do on both machines or do you simply just use your mac to surf the net and wintel to do serious work?

Thank goodness you know VMWare, so you know we can also run OSx in a sandbox.
    So lets not side any of them unless you do an apple-to-apple comparison.
    1. May I know which backup software you use? I've tried Windows Live OneCare, Comodo and Cobian but none of them are as good as Time Machine (I typically do 3-4 incremental backups per day).

2. Mac may have viruses but the anti-virus Mac software market is so much smaller than the Windows one due to lack of Mac viruses.

3. Atom processor is not for me. With MacBook Pro 13", I get 2.4 Ghz dual core + NVidia with 10 hr battery life, ie I can get 10 hour battery life without underclocking.

4. I do all my work on Mac / Linux as high performance computing is primarily done in *nix environments.

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel

1. May I know which backup software you use? I've tried Windows Live OneCare, Comodo and Cobian but none of them are as good as Time Machine (I typically do 3-4 incremental backups per day).

2. Mac may have viruses but the anti-virus Mac software market is so much smaller than the Windows one due to lack of Mac viruses.

3. Atom processor is not for me. With MacBook Pro 13", I get 2.4 Ghz dual core + NVidia with 10 hr battery life, ie I can get 10 hour battery life without underclocking.

4. I do all my work on Mac / Linux as high performance computing is primarily done in *nix environments.
    that being said, some of this is specific to my scenario (and requirements at work); there are scenarios where one might prefer a Windows laptop over a MacBook. The TS can decide based on his own personal requirements.
    Last edited by nathaniel; 6th January 2011 at 08:22 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123