Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, there is the technical side of things, and there's something that is more than just large things being magnified.

    for example, i enjoy this shot:

    http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/75382932

    or this shot:

    http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/75382943

    a lot more than the same shot with just the butterfly's face and magnified eyes...

    same for this:

    http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/75384716

    or even this:

    http://www.pbase.com/eikin/image/75393562

    as opposed to any of these critters just plain magnified. certainly it involves a lot more than the "plain magnified" phrase conveys, and i acknowledge that, but what i'm saying is that, it's just... magnified, there is little outstanding value beyond that for half of those shots.
    I don't understand how you can compare those with the ones we're talking about. They're totally different and no offence but the one's you posted looks like regular shots to me.

    These ones by Thomas Shahan...how do you do it?? The amazing colours, sharpness, bokeh, reflections and subjects? His life probably evolves around this stuff which probably helps a great deal and he shoots hundreds just to get a few good ones.

    And he uses a Canon
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  2. #42

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    I don't understand how you can compare those with the ones we're talking about. They're totally different and no offence but the one's you posted looks like regular shots to me.

    These ones by Thomas Shahan...how do you do it?? The amazing colours, sharpness, bokeh, reflections and subjects? His life probably evolves around this stuff which probably helps a great deal and he shoots hundreds just to get a few good ones.

    And he uses a Canon
    lol, ok, if you say so, whatever floats your boat.

    after all, some people pick horsepower in cars, some people go for the outwards look, some people care about the suspension more than anything else.. maybe to you what i see in these photos linked are not important, just like what you see (amazing colors, bokeh, reflections) don't mean that much to me. they're just not exactly a priority.

    just wondering, why you suddenly make another post 8 hours apart... you took 8 hours to read this thread?
    Last edited by night86mare; 21st December 2010 at 09:47 PM.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    I don't understand how you can compare those with the ones we're talking about. They're totally different and no offence but the one's you posted looks like regular shots to me.

    These ones by Thomas Shahan...how do you do it?? The amazing colours, sharpness, bokeh, reflections and subjects? His life probably evolves around this stuff which probably helps a great deal and he shoots hundreds just to get a few good ones.

    And he uses a Canon
    WHATever brand he wanna use. CNPPOLVST etc...etc...etc...it doesnt matter. what matter most is the picture.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoters...7600033219132/ Xp
    Last edited by ricsal; 21st December 2010 at 11:41 PM.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

  4. #44

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    WHATever brand he wanna use. CNPPOLVST etc...etc...etc...it doesnt matter. what matter most is the picture. kapesh?
    i agree, it doesn't matter.

    funny how people so happy to jump in to say oh, he uses this brand, that brand. like it matters... you mean, if your brand has a good photographer, you feel better about your brand? every brand has good photographers...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/2545298333/

    the camera body is a Pentax *ist DL DSLR body.
    right now i'm wondering - if he uses pierre cardin underwear, does this mean that there will be people happy to come in here to post "btw, he wears pierre cardin underwear"?

  5. #45
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    another one: http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/article/...-magnified-248
    When it comes to kit, Thomas uses a Pentax K200D DSLR body and vintage primes for two reasons they are cheap and sharp

  6. #46

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    I don't understand how you can compare those with the ones we're talking about. They're totally different and no offence but the one's you posted looks like regular shots to me.

    The ones posted by night86mare is probably a normal 1:1 magnification but the composition is nice as well imho. Its a different set of beauties, unlike high magification of 5X or more on the face of spiders where the whole frame is of the subject of the spiders.



    These ones by Thomas Shahan...how do you do it?? The amazing colours, sharpness, bokeh, reflections and subjects? His life probably evolves around this stuff which probably helps a great deal and he shoots hundreds just to get a few good ones.

    Yes, high magnification of spiders from thomas shahan with sharpness across the frame makes him stand out from amongst all macro shooters. Its his sturdy hand, putting set-up and setting aside, and his stacking skills couple with all other factors that contributes to this image. CAn you imagine having the eyes or other park of the spider out of focus with that magnification? Its knowing his gear, set-up, subject matter and above all his skills in bringing out what we are seeing now.


    And he uses a Canon
    Which ever camera one is using does not matter. CAnon has MPE 65 with a twin flashes and has 5X magnification and that is good for high magnification but can one have that DOF at that magnification.

    Just an example, I shot this with panagor 55 mm macro with 33 mm extention tube and its more than 1:1 mag. AT f16, this is the DOF I have for a single shot. NO focus stacking, with flashlights


    IMGP7103-1 by luctomar, on Flickr

    I could not have the front spider in sharp focus, only the back elder brother is.

    Another one


    predator and prey of the same species by luctomar, on Flickr

    Single shot and no focus stacking and that's about the sharpness I could have for the image. Compare that to Thomas shahan, its a different set of pictures as the whole frame is in sharp focus. I hope you understand and if you are into macro you will understand. It already at the smallest aperture. By the way, I don't remember you posting any macro subjects here yet but in Pbase account.

    marcus

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    lol, ok, if you say so, whatever floats your boat.

    after all, some people pick horsepower in cars, some people go for the outwards look, some people care about the suspension more than anything else.. maybe to you what i see in these photos linked are not important, just like what you see (amazing colors, bokeh, reflections) don't mean that much to me. they're just not exactly a priority.
    You're right, we all react differently according to our sensory preferences, some assess their subjects visually, by sound or feel. Let's try Thomas' pictures again:







    These exceeded all my sensory expectations, while strong on colour they are much less flamboyant than HDR attempts and still easy on my eyes. I have seen a few macro shots on CS and flickr and they're what I've expected, this I did not expect.

    just wondering, why you suddenly make another post 8 hours apart... you took 8 hours to read this thread?
    I didn't noticed that, threads get bumped time to time, I just found it interesting that you made that kind of comparison where they are quite different!
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    WHATever brand he wanna use. CNPPOLVST etc...etc...etc...it doesnt matter. what matter most is the picture.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoters...7600033219132/ Xp
    I stand corrected, I swear I thought I saw a Canon somewhere in one of his videos knowing that this was a Pentax thread and you're right it doesn't matter what camera he uses.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by otc View Post
    Just an example, I shot this with panagor 55 mm macro with 33 mm extention tube and its more than 1:1 mag. AT f16, this is the DOF I have for a single shot. NO focus stacking, with flashlights


    IMGP7103-1 by luctomar, on Flickr

    I could not have the front spider in sharp focus, only the back elder brother is.

    Another one


    predator and prey of the same species by luctomar, on Flickr

    Single shot and no focus stacking and that's about the sharpness I could have for the image. Compare that to Thomas shahan, its a different set of pictures as the whole frame is in sharp focus. I hope you understand and if you are into macro you will understand. It already at the smallest aperture. By the way, I don't remember you posting any macro subjects here yet but in Pbase account.

    marcus
    Marcus, I don't shoot macros but I definitely appreciate anyone who does. I guess once people delve into the science of macro shooting then it can become an obsession (a healthy one indeed), add post processing into the mix and well you get to become like Thomas! lol

    I'm really impress with your spiders (and that particular type!) and seeing how complicated it can be to shoot it as it is must be commended. I've shot dragonflies before but they don't move and they're usually out in the bright outdoors so naturally I can't compare my experiences as one being "macro" shots.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  10. #50

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    You're right, we all react differently according to our sensory preferences, some assess their subjects visually, by sound or feel. Let's try Thomas' pictures again:


    These exceeded all my sensory expectations, while strong on colour they are much less flamboyant than HDR attempts and still easy on my eyes. I have seen a few macro shots on CS and flickr and they're what I've expected, this I did not expect.



    I didn't noticed that, threads get bumped time to time, I just found it interesting that you made that kind of comparison where they are quite different!
    don't think it's nice to link those pictures like that, maybe just post the link instead of the image directly.

  11. #51
    Member seefei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,708

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    concur with NM86 that macro photography is not only about magnification (hope i got your point right here) but one of the challenges of macro photography is to get a magnified shot of a subject with proper lighting and dof. but magnification should never be the only yardstick in evaluating a macro photograph.

    i have started my macro journey on the "magnification" route, as the technique of balancing dof, lighting, diffusion is the basic skill in this genre. but when i take a step back and started to appreciate the balance of nature and the story behind it, i detour and started shooting from the compositiion perspective.

    it is a more enjoy experince in shooting macro in having a balance between the magnification and composition route. it is never an enjoyable experience crouching and shooting a 2mm insects all the time. i also toyed with the idea of stacking without much success.

    i look at thomas shahan's work with awe, but he will never be more role model. if you have noticed, thomas shahan has not produced any new work lately. his works were from his school days when he had a lot of time to spare but not sustainable when he started working. a hobby has to be sustainable if you want to it to last and be enjoyable.

    some of the works with balance that i like are here and here.
    Last edited by seefei; 24th December 2010 at 03:34 PM.
    shoot to remember. flickr

  12. #52

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    concur with NM86 that macro photography is not only about magnification (hope i got your point right here) but one of the challenges of macro photography is to get a magnified shot of a subject with proper lighting and dof. but magnification should never be the only yardstick in evaluating a macro photograph.

    i have started my macro journey on the "magnification" route, as the technique of balancing dof, lighting, diffusion is the basic skill in this genre. but when i take a step back and started to appreciate the balance of nature and the story behind it, i detour and started shooting from the compositiion perspective.

    it is a more enjoy experince in shooting macro in having a balance between the magnification and composition route. it is never an enjoyable experience crouching and shooting a 2mm insects all the time. i also toyed with the idea of stacking without much success.

    i look at thomas shahan's work with awe, but he will never be more role model. if you have noticed, thomas shahan has not produced any new work lately. his works were from his school days when he had a lot of time to spare but not sustainable when he started working. a hobby has to be sustainable if you want to it to last and be enjoyable.




    I totally agree with your tots here. Good composition and diffused lightings without hot spots are some of the important factors to a good image for macro and basically pleasing to the eyes. I must confess I learn from others too and have been reading over the years. It did not strike me to be one like thomas shahan, definitely not. I will enjoy my macro and shoot what i undertands as the basis for good picture. Magnification is part of the equation and not necessary high magnification. At the end of it I do it my way as frank sinatra said, I did it my way:bsmilie, above all the joy of seeing those crawlies never seen in my earlier years.





    some of the works with balance that i like are here and here.
    I expected you to lead us to a foreign artist instead, it leads to one who is local. Luvs that image and but the way I just learnt of AMS from the artist. not too long ago.

    marcus

  13. #53

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    concur with NM86 that macro photography is not only about magnification (hope i got your point right here) but one of the challenges of macro photography is to get a magnified shot of a subject with proper lighting and dof. but magnification should never be the only yardstick in evaluating a macro photograph.
    and composition..

    a photograph should not just stand on technical merit.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Its about the photographer, not the gear - Insect Macro with a K200D

    I kinda like Thomas's macro shots. Its different. Its sort of abstract at the same time. Possibly because of the magnification and closeup and the colours, it feels alien.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •