Thread: Newbie "Oldie" question

Default Newbie "Oldie" question

Hi everyone, I am new to clubsnap. I have been shooting for close to 1 year, but did not know that such a forum existed until recently.

I am currently owning a 60D, 24-105 f4L and 430 exii combination. It have serve me very well but I am still pretty much new to flash photography. I shoot mainly my own family events and a little bit when I travel. Anyone here have the same combination as me ? Hope to learn more from you guys here about optimising the performance shooting with flash, especially since I can use the 430exii off-shoe as my camera can trigger the flash wirelessly. However the results still not too optimal.

First question I have for seniors here, through your experience of using this flash, is it better for me to do a DIY bounce card or to use diffusers. I will most likely need the flash in both indoor and outdoor group pictures, and for taking portraits of my children. I saw a great video on youtube about how to make a DIY bounce card, and it look damn impressive. I am tilted towards that as a permanent thingy.

I will be adding a 10-22 wide angle lens to my collection soon for my travel purpose, and will like to ask if I should add another prime like the 85 f1.8 for taking my kids portraits. I used the tele end of my lens now for such pictures. The results are quite good. Will the 85 f1.8 be significantly better?

Thanks all for reading.

Default Re: Newbie "Oldie" question

Quote Originally Posted by koppite View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to clubsnap. I have been shooting for close to 1 year, but did not know that such a forum existed until recently.

I am currently owning a 60D, 24-105 f4L and 430 exii combination. It have serve me very well but I am still pretty much new to flash photography. I shoot mainly my own family events and a little bit when I travel. Anyone here have the same combination as me ? Hope to learn more from you guys here about optimising the performance shooting with flash, especially since I can use the 430exii off-shoe as my camera can trigger the flash wirelessly. However the results still not too optimal.

First question I have for seniors here, through your experience of using this flash, is it better for me to do a DIY bounce card or to use diffusers. I will most likely need the flash in both indoor and outdoor group pictures, and for taking portraits of my children. I saw a great video on youtube about how to make a DIY bounce card, and it look damn impressive. I am tilted towards that as a permanent thingy.

I will be adding a 10-22 wide angle lens to my collection soon for my travel purpose, and will like to ask if I should add another prime like the 85 f1.8 for taking my kids portraits. I used the tele end of my lens now for such pictures. The results are quite good. Will the 85 f1.8 be significantly better?

Thanks all for reading.
    Hey buddy I'm new as well so I'm not gonna play "know it all" guru photographer on you

Just want to say I use the same 60D/24-105L but I use 580II flash. I also have the 17-55 kit lens (for landscaping purposes, but it's photo quality is nothing to shout about) and the 50f1.8 prime which I use for portraits. Overall my 24-105 stays in my camera most of the time.

With regards to your flash bounce question, the 580II has an in-built bounce card which I did not know off when I bought it, thus I also bought the diffuser. Overall I'm finding the bounce card to produce better soft light on still subjects compared to the diffuser, but on moving subjects the diffuser produces a better soft light than the bounce card.

This is just what I'm seeing in my photos and like I said I'm a newbie in this one as well. I guess you can try experimenting on it and try out the DIY bounce and the diffuser to see the overall result. Or you can attend a flash photography workshop which I will be doing this Thursday

Cheers

Hi and welcome to CS koppite.

A question, since most of your shots will be indoors, will it be better to play with bouncing your flash off walls and ceilings? These work well too, rather than thinking of putting on a diffuser and just shooting straight on each and every time.

About the 85mm, I find it more useful for portraiture shooting. The lens is faster than the 24-105 and the depth of field is nicer too. You may want to rent it for a day and see if you prefer using the 85mm over your 24-105mm.

Thanks all for reading.
    hi and welcome!

1) bounce cards and diffusers work differently. Thus, it's hard to say 1 is better than the other. They suit different situations.
    As a bounce card isn't that difficult to make, it might be a fun exercise to DIY one for yourself.

2) 85/1.8 should enable you to achieve better subject isolation through thin DOF
    Exploring! :)

Welcome to CS... looking forward to your sharing...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Natsu View Post
    Hey buddy I'm new as well so I'm not gonna play "know it all" guru photographer on you

Just want to say I use the same 60D/24-105L but I use 580II flash. I also have the 17-55 kit lens (for landscaping purposes, but it's photo quality is nothing to shout about) and the 50f1.8 prime which I use for portraits. Overall my 24-105 stays in my camera most of the time.

With regards to your flash bounce question, the 580II has an in-built bounce card which I did not know off when I bought it, thus I also bought the diffuser. Overall I'm finding the bounce card to produce better soft light on still subjects compared to the diffuser, but on moving subjects the diffuser produces a better soft light than the bounce card.

This is just what I'm seeing in my photos and like I said I'm a newbie in this one as well. I guess you can try experimenting on it and try out the DIY bounce and the diffuser to see the overall result. Or you can attend a flash photography workshop which I will be doing this Thursday

Cheers
    I think you mean the 18-55 right. I heard that the 17-55 is quite good. But I did not choose it because I don't like the feel and it is too short for me.

Good to find someone with the same setup here. The 60D with the 24-105 is really amazing....worth my every cents!!

Anyway with regards to the bounce card, I am just back from Bras Basah with the A4 foam paper. I will be DIYing it now. Will try to post a picture of my finished product later Gonna try tonight during my BBQ to see the result. I only spend $1 for the paper and $1.30 for the velcro... Hopefully it works.
    Last edited by koppite; 20th December 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsQ View Post
    Hi and welcome to CS koppite.

A question, since most of your shots will be indoors, will it be better to play with bouncing your flash off walls and ceilings? These work well too, rather than thinking of putting on a diffuser and just shooting straight on each and every time.

About the 85mm, I find it more useful for portraiture shooting. The lens is faster than the 24-105 and the depth of field is nicer too. You may want to rent it for a day and see if you prefer using the 85mm over your 24-105mm.
    Thanks for the advise

I think you mean the 18-55 right. I heard that the 17-55 is quite good. But I did not choose it because I don't like the feel and it is too short for me.

Good to find someone with the same setup here. The 60D with the 24-105 is really amazing....worth my every cents!!

Anyway with regards to the bounce card, I am just back from Bras Basah with the A4 foam paper. I will be DIYing it now. Will try to post a picture of my finished product later Gonna try tonight during my BBQ to see the result. I only spend $1 for the paper and $1.30 for the velcro... Hopefully it works.
    My bad, yep I was referring to the 18-55 kit lens.

G'luck on your DIY

Will the 85 f1.8 be significantly better?

Thanks all for reading.
    Yes, the 85 1.8 would definitely be better.

hi ts. check out this link to get some inspiration.
    http://www.natalienortonphoto.com/se...ly%20portraits
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif