View Poll Results: Do cameras with HDR capability a boon or bane?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boon

15 44.12%
  • Bane

20 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone HDR can almost replace a DSLR

Default Re: iPhone HDR can almost replace a DSLR

its good to have .. for convenience sake.. =P
    My Pixels | a7 | 1635FE Zeiss | MD 50mm f1.4 | MC 35mm f2.8 | MC 50mm f3.5 1:1 Macro |

Depend on how picky and serious you are into photography. Some of my friends think that an iPhone or cheap Canon Powershoot is good enough for them to shoot photos. They also think that spending 10k on trinity lenses and full frame are crazy, but some of them bought 80-100k cars.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Sony A550 had that HDR capability. So it might be a matter of time when every brand will spot that technology as just one of the "lazy" settings. Who knows...I might be wrong.
    i suggested this roughly 6 months ago and i was flamed and accused of being lazy, naive and daydreaming
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Fan boys can make such remarks because:
    1. They think IPhone apps are like god, and a layman photo editing software in the IPhone is so good.
    2. They think that the IPhone camera is godlike.
    3. They think that they can do anything with a IPhone.
    4. They never think that the IPhone camera and layman photo editing software is nothing more than a lower end PNS function camera for Facebook.
    5. They never seem anything in the outside world except on their IPhone screen.
    6. They never think that they are fan boy.

@TS

I think the biggest problem was your title by itself...iphone HDR can ALMOST replace a DSLR.

I think just about every dslr user out there would violently object to this and further more it's kinda disrespectful to HDR being a young art form by itself.

I've been reading this tutorial on how to create HDRs and I'm not even getting the complete gist of what this guy is saying ... One thing is for sure though, the HDR images posted in there are really stunning, and for one of them to be the first HDR photo to be featured in Smithsonian Institution is just simply amazing.

Cheers

I started the thread with one aim: whether a iphone camera with HDR capabilities would be nice to have especially it can supposedly take a HDR shot without processing. I'm not a iphone fanboy cos I'm a blackberry user.

When we walk around with a DSLR and snap a photo, some of us would still like to pp them like HDR, brighten, darken, improve highlights, adjust mid-tones etc. So when there's a simple alternative like a iphone that can do all the pp, wouldn't that feature be good to have? Seriously guys...you got to see what this nifty gadget can do before you thumb it down that DSLR is better. DSLR is always better but for those mom and pops not into photography, the iphone alternative provides a viable solution in getting that quick shot before losing the moment.

Those parents in K2 seeing their 6year old kid graduating and what you know....the next thing is they whip out the camera phone, not a DSLR. Only a rare parent would use a DSLR. Our fellow Bros here have given their piece and I respect that. However, nobody addressed the question I asked: Would it make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right?
    No, it would not make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right. Those who want to get it right, would always want to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    No, it would not make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right. Those who want to get it right, would always want to get it right.
    ...and those who can't be bothered, would continue not to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    i suggested this roughly 6 months ago and i was flamed and accused of being lazy, naive and daydreaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Natsu View Post
    @TS

I think the biggest problem was your title by itself...iphone HDR can ALMOST replace a DSLR.

I think just about every dslr user out there would violently object to this and further more it's kinda disrespectful to HDR being a young art form by itself.

I've been reading this tutorial on how to create HDRs and I'm not even getting the complete gist of what this guy is saying ... One thing is for sure though, the HDR images posted in there are really stunning, and for one of them to be the first HDR photo to be featured in Smithsonian Institution is just simply amazing.

Cheers
    Well...I've been flamed/ignored/blasted too many times to count my wounds.

I've actually been advocating in many of my other posts that we should make every of our shots count so that we spend less time on pp. If HDR is available as a feature then we might be tempted to use it as a default and totally "stop" doing any more pp hence it might make us "lazier"

If iphone HDR can take a reasonable standard of photos, then it would not make sense anymore to be carrying a DSLR. In the end DSLR population will dwindle due to prolification of easy to use form of picture taking just like DSLR replacing SLR over 5 years. Just look at lomo...the numbers engaged in lomo does not justify it being sold in many camera shops nowadays. Many products will come and go like time and tide no matter how good it is in its time.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

I've actually been advocating in many of my other posts that we should make every of our shots count so that we spend less time on pp. If HDR is available as a feature then we might be tempted to use it as a default and totally "stop" doing any more pp hence it might make us "lazier"
    but pp is *us* thinking.

without pp is the camera thinking.

unless they can let the camera predict what we think... and get it right some more..

The Iphone camera will not make me/us lazier..in fact i even use PS express and FilterFx and BlurFx to edit the iphone 4 camera photos to further improve it. For those interested, Pudding Camera is a great korean app that allows you to choose various camera/film types as filters over the IP4 cameras, and their effects are pretty good!
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

No more silhouette shots then, since the camera will auto-HDR for me.

The best camera is the camera you have with you.

And more often than not, it is the phone. Plus it has the ability to lock in GPS coordinates.
    Canon 40D 17-55mm/f2.8 IS, 50mm/f1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

I started the thread with one aim: whether a iphone camera with HDR capabilities would be nice to have especially it can supposedly take a HDR shot without processing. I'm not a iphone fanboy cos I'm a blackberry user.

When we walk around with a DSLR and snap a photo, some of us would still like to pp them like HDR, brighten, darken, improve highlights, adjust mid-tones etc. So when there's a simple alternative like a iphone that can do all the pp, wouldn't that feature be good to have? Seriously guys...you got to see what this nifty gadget can do before you thumb it down that DSLR is better. DSLR is always better but for those mom and pops not into photography, the iphone alternative provides a viable solution in getting that quick shot before losing the moment.

Those parents in K2 seeing their 6year old kid graduating and what you know....the next thing is they whip out the camera phone, not a DSLR. Only a rare parent would use a DSLR. Our fellow Bros here have given their piece and I respect that. However, nobody addressed the question I asked: Would it make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right?
    You see, this is your problem! You know your target audience but you purposefully present it to the wrong audience. Go to other forums where those moms and pops are not into photography.

If I remember correctly, Sony A550 had that HDR capability. So it might be a matter of time when every brand will spot that technology as just one of the "lazy" settings. Who knows...I might be wrong.
    Yup... A500,550,580,33,55 and NEX.

And AFAIK the new Pentax K-r or K-5 too (not sure though)
    Alpha

Sorry to cut in..
    Can I ask.. Can HDR images be printed out?

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Sorry to cut in..
    Can I ask.. Can HDR images be printed out?
    Why not?

duh. of course it can't replace a dslr or even a high end compact in terms of image quality.

But the best camera is the one that's with you.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/200...o-of-the-week/

good stuff. can browse at pageone or borders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/032...SIN=0321684788

iphone photos are only good for twitpics lollll. i like the tons of apps (like hipstamatic) which give the iphone camera some cool effects, but they do grow old after awhile.

that said, it serves a pretty good purpose as a perpetual toy cam wherever you go, at least for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12