Thread: How to change your zoom len to marco lens as quickly?

Default How to change your zoom len to marco lens as quickly?

Hi and Merry Christmas to everyone
    I just bought my marco lens that is canon 100mm f 2.8 and having a kit lens of 18 to 200mm.
    The question is "How can I change my marco len to the zoom as quick as possible? and I have only one camera body that is canon 500D

Derrick Heng

Default Re: How to change your zoom len to marco lens as quickly?

Here are some vids.
    have to practice lor if u wanna do it quickly. Easier for smaller bodies and lenses

Video Missing

Video Missing

Ryan

you want to change asap to prevent dust from entering, or you afraid you'll miss a once-in-lifetime chance when you are spot a rare butterfly when walking.

just my own 2 cents:

1) place your lens in an accessible place in your bag
    2) you should be able to access your gear w/o having to place your bag on the ground
    3) practise, until you don't kancheong

Quote Originally Posted by hengchianwee View Post
    The question is "How can I change my marco len to the zoom as quick as possible? and I have only one camera body that is canon 500D
    Wrong question, imho.
    Question should be: "How to avoid changing lenses in order to focus on photography instead of gear handling?"
    Prepare your shoots, plan properly what you intend to do. Aimless walking around will bring you to situations where you want to changes lenses in a rush. Changing lenses in a rush is a good opportunity to drop one or both lenses. On the other end: macro is quite a specialized topic (tripod, flash, other equipments), how do expect to jump from general photography (with 18-200) to macro photography?
    EOS

Hi Octarine
    Yes I do agree with you that plan ahead is a good idea, but sometime as you go alone you will come across something that you need to use the other lens.
    That is the time you need to change your lenses and it is no necessary to be a macro

Hi and Merry Christmas to everyone
    I just bought my marco lens that is canon 100mm f 2.8 and having a kit lens of 18 to 200mm.

Derrick Heng
    hi, this is how i do it:

(1) sling camera on neck with old lens
    (2) open bag, take out new lens
    (3) take out lens rearcap, hold with mouth and try not to slobber
    (4) holding the new lens with right hand (i'm right handed), i press down the release button to release old lens from camera and remove it with my left hand
    (5) quickly (to avoid dust), put in new lens with right hand and turn to lock it in, ensure i hear the click
    (6) use right hand to take out rear lens cap from mouth and put it on the old lens, put old lens in bag

whole process takes very short time.

please note that this only works for light lenses. so if you have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 200 mm macro, you better not do this, have to use a table and do it one by one with both hands at each time.

If time is so important, get a second camera......

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i use my mouth sometimes too if no space in my pockets mouth is so flexible! besides using it for eating

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i use my mouth sometimes too if no space in my pockets mouth is so flexible! besides using it for eating
    i use my mouth for many things... hold viewfinder cover, hold filter...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hi, this is how i do it:

(1) sling camera on neck with old lens
    (2) open bag, take out new lens
    (4) holding the new lens with right hand (i'm right handed), i press down the release button to release old lens from camera and remove it with my left hand
    (5) quickly (to avoid dust), put in new lens with right hand and turn to lock it in, ensure i hear the click
    (6) use right hand to take out rear lens cap from mouth and put it on the old lens, put old lens in bag

whole process takes very short time.

please note that this only works for light lenses. so if you have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 200 mm macro, you better not do this, have to use a table and do it one by one with both hands at each time.
    I prefer this method as well, over the 'quick-switch' as displayed in the Youtube video. I used to use the 'quick-switch' method, but as I have small hands I feel that it is not secure when changing large lenses.
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Hi
    I wonder how to use your mouth to change your len?
    pls enlighten me

Hi
    I wonder how to use your mouth to change your len?
    pls enlighten me
    to hold rear lens cap..

did you even read my post? please re-read it slowly.

oop......sorry

In absence of a table, I use my thighs to hold the new lens (rear lens cap facing out) while releasing the old lens from the camera.

Your hands will be free to transfer the rear lens cap between lenses and what nots.