Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie who wants to buy a mcro lens

Default Newbie who wants to buy a mcro lens

Hi to all bros and sis here. I am relatively new to DSLR and would like to take some macro photos. I was thinking between the Canon 60MM, 100MM or the 100MM Lseries lens for macro. Recently my friend told me don't bother to buy the 100MM as he mention something about crop factor. I don't quite understand what he means though. Can some pros wish to enlight me? and would it be wise to get the 100MM L lens? Oh by the way, i'm using Canon EOS 60D. Thank you all for your precious advices

Default Re: Newbie who wants to buy a mcro lens

I am shooting macro using a crop body attached with a 100mm borrowed from a friend so I dont get it why your friend would say not to get the 100mm macro lens!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

He mention something about crop factor. Saying that 60D does not have full frame, etc which i am not sure what he mean

Quote Originally Posted by ctxx83 View Post
    Hi to all bros and sis here. I am relatively new to DSLR and would like to take some macro photos. I was thinking between the Canon 60MM, 100MM or the 100MM Lseries lens for macro. Recently my friend told me don't bother to buy the 100MM as he mention something about crop factor. I don't quite understand what he means though. Can some pros wish to enlight me? and would it be wise to get the 100MM L lens? Oh by the way, i'm using Canon EOS 60D. Thank you all for your precious advices
    not a canon user nor a pro, but what's wrong with the 100mm specifically? if you're using a 60D, ALL lenses will give you 1.6x magnification (the "crop factor"). means as compared to the traditional 35mm film, your 60D's sensor is smaller, making your Field-of-View already zoomed in to 1.6x that of full-frame sensors.
    one thing to note, though, if you haven't used 35mm or full-frame before, it wont matter much to you since you don't have to compare, so don't worry too much and just enjoy shooting!
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Maybe tell your friend to read about the difference between a FF and APS-C body!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

He mention something about crop factor. Saying that 60D does not have full frame, etc which i am not sure what he mean
    if i read your friend's statement correctly, ONLY full-frame cameras can take macro??

these were taken with a cropped frame body (nikon D7000). not mine as i'm not into macro, but from a very good macro photographer

he mention that a 60MM would be good. hee. But what is the difference between a L macro lens and a non L macro lens?

Blog Entries

he mention that a 60MM would be good. hee. But what is the difference between a L macro lens and a non L macro lens?
    60mm is not good if you want to shoot small insects.

100mm is good. If budget is a concern, Tamron 90mm and Tokina 100mm are also very highly recommended.

Thank you daredevil. I have seen you in many newbie posts and thank you for being so helpful I would still prefer canon 100mm L lens or the 100MM lens. Does the non IS play a hugh factor in shooting a nice macro photo? my hands tends to shake alot

those shooting macro tend to use a much sturdier support (tripod) to minimize/eliminate camera shake, not hand-held

hee i haven got myself a tripod and a dry a cabinet yet.

EF100mm F2.8 RRP $999

EF 100mm F2.8L RRP $1,569

See comparison below:

100mm will give you more working distance from your subject. coupled with your 60d 1.6x crop factor, it give you even more.

im not a macro shooter but i dont see why extra working distance is bad...its especially useful if you want to take insects and critters and dont want to scare them away
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

Thank you deathrequiem

Thank you too diavonex however someof the terms quite difficult to understand such as angle of view. i guess i go do some read up. Wil the image quality also be different?

Base on the specifications, the EF 100mm F2.8L should give better IQ.

Blog Entries

Thank you daredevil. I have seen you in many newbie posts and thank you for being so helpful I would still prefer canon 100mm L lens or the 100MM lens. Does the non IS play a hugh factor in shooting a nice macro photo? my hands tends to shake alot
    Macro, you need a good sturdy and strong tripod and head. Best to match with rails.

This is one of many setups you can find out there:

handheld will be very tough, especially when your magnification factor is high... But some people still do it.. this is an example of a handheld DIY setup...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Macro, you need a good sturdy and strong tripod and head. Best to match with rails.

This is one of many setups you can find out there:

handheld will be very tough, especially when your magnification factor is high... But some people still do it.. this is an example of a handheld DIY setup...
    WOW awesome daredevil !!!

@TS: I'm not into macro photography but find it really interesting and I want to try it on once in a while. I myself am keen on buying the 100f2.8L lens as it's not as expensive compared to the other more popular L-series lens out there. However I'm not just gonna jump in and buy the darn thing just coz a lot of people recommends it, yeah? I mean it's my money I'll be spending and I don't pick up cash from the streets or whatever.

My interest on the 100f2.8L spiked up real high when I read this review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/c...rait-lens.aspx. In there he recommends the 100f2.8L as his 3rd best portrait lens, next only to the 70-200f2.8L IS USM (SGD3599) and the ever popular 85f1.2L(SGD4399). You can read his reviews and look at his sample photos taken using this lens.

For I guy like me who can only afford a few L lenses as part of my arsenal I need to be really smart in choosing my lenses. I always consider the versatility of the lens and of course it's usefulness to the field of photography where I want to be in(fashion and glamour). Lastly I NEED to try it out first before diving in and buying any lens for that matter. To date I personally don't know anyone who owns this lens(most of my friends are Nikon users), I would want to borrow it for a couple of hours and just shoot away and see the results. Now I'm looking at renting the darn thing just so I can try it out .

I hope that helps coming from a newbie like me . If you have bought this lens however, would you consider lending it to me for a few hours so I can try it out myself??? lol

Cheers ctxx83

lol sure thing, however i'm still thinking lol. As u mention L lens is really ex and macro is just a part of photography, i would prefer a lens which is multi purpose. Oh man! its so darn confusing X_X

I have tried out my Tamron 70-300 macro 1:2 last week. AF not so smart on but over performance is quite good for a low priced lens. Most of them are handheld shots and still trying to bring out more from this lens.

My nature shots >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/slmka

Some Figure shots >> http://www.figure.fm/post/en/20568/S...rd+Garden.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast