Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

  1. #1

    Default 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    hihi..anyone whose tamron lenses were sent for servicing recently for cracked lens barrel? I dropped my lens on to the ground...whilst it is still functionable, i can only zoom until 30mm.

    The glass didnt crack though...everything is fine except for the zooming part..I heard from my fren it costs $90 to repair..anyone with same prob and was it $90? I'm just afraid they charge differently...
    5DMk2

  2. #2

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Best thing to do is call JEL corp and tell them the condition of your lens and give you a quote for the repair!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  3. #3

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    okok..but is lens barrel cracked the correct term to use?
    5DMk2

  4. #4

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Just tell them that the barrel cracked after it fell down then ask them how much to replace it!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    okok..but is lens barrel cracked the correct term to use?
    If the barrel is cracked then just tell them what you see. If they found out that something is faulty inside as well they will contact you again with a new quote.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    If the barrel is cracked then just tell them what you see. If they found out that something is faulty inside as well they will contact you again with a new quote.
    $90?

    really depends on what is really broken. Lens barrel is the the internal barrel that zooms in and out. I am pretty sure it will cost a lot more to fix than $90. nowadays $90 will only pay for technicians to open up the lens and put it back together again. I doubt your problem is going to cost only $90.

    Don't tell them anything. Just bring it down to JEL. let them look at it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    $90?

    really depends on what is really broken. Lens barrel is the the internal barrel that zooms in and out. I am pretty sure it will cost a lot more to fix than $90. nowadays $90 will only pay for technicians to open up the lens and put it back together again. I doubt your problem is going to cost only $90.

    Don't tell them anything. Just bring it down to JEL. let them look at it.
    Haha I am not the TS, just have the same avatar as him and yes i also don't think it will cost just $90

  8. #8

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Yup I agree with daredevil...I went to JEL last month for a replacement of the faulty aperture cable of my 17-50mm F 2,8 lens and it cost me $120!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha I am not the TS, just have the same avatar as him and yes i also don't think it will cost just $90
    opps... mistaken identity sorry. quoted the wrong post.

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: 17-50 Tamron lenses Barrel Cracked

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    hihi..anyone whose tamron lenses were sent for servicing recently for cracked lens barrel? I dropped my lens on to the ground...whilst it is still functionable, i can only zoom until 30mm.
    The glass didnt crack though...everything is fine except for the zooming part..I heard from my fren it costs $90 to repair..anyone with same prob and was it $90? I'm just afraid they charge differently...
    Possibly something came lose inside that blocks the zoom. I had the same issue, just after fatigue posted a warning: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Tamron
    In my case, a sensor for focal length came lose and blocks the zoom mechanism. Got it fixed by setting the sensor to a fixed position instead (I don't need exact focal length in my EXIF data).
    Regarding charging: different problems with different damages will incur different costs. Would you charge the same amount for different types of work involving different components to be changed?
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •