Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daugther Smile

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnagIt
    So your new sigma is for portrait . I join the crowd to chime in too.

IMHO this is overall a good photo. A few things can give the photo some punch such as:

1. crop out the background more since it doesn't contribute much to the photo. If not can consider adding vignette
    2. get closer / crop tighter for the face if you want to focus on the smile. Center is fine i think. Like this
    Just a quick comment on your example. Your portrait can benefit greatly if you take one or two steps to your left. That angle will move the dark mess away from the side of your boy's head. Also a slightly off center composition will look a lot better too, especially in landscape orientation.

Default Re: Daugther Smile

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Bro I like the original version more. The stool the cute shoes all gives this portrait a more complete feel, more context. Going in closer is nice also but it becomes a different kind of portrait. But if I am to move in closer, I will do head and shoulders only.
    Me two(too)..

I like the pink color contradict with the grass green color.
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS
    5D3 + Luxury Lenses|Hope To Make Someone Happy By Showing My Pictures|

Just a quick comment on your example. Your portrait can benefit greatly if you take one or two steps to your left. That angle will move the dark mess away from the side of your boy's head. Also a slightly off center composition will look a lot better too, especially in landscape orientation.
    Center or not is no big deal really. As long as the subject stand out. I have seen too many centered portraits to make myself strictly follow that rule.

In my picture you think that the boy sit there and pose for me? It's the moment/emotion make the picture worth.

My suggestion to get closer because the photog wants to emphasize on her smile. Getting closer also gives a feel of intimacy between photog and model.

Nothing big deal though, since this is a matter of personal preference.

Blog Entries

Center or not is no big deal really. As long as the subject stand out. I have seen too many centered portraits to make myself strictly follow that rule.

In my picture you think that the boy sit there and pose for me? It's the moment/emotion make the picture worth.

My suggestion to get closer because the photog wants to emphasize on her smile. Getting closer also gives a feel of intimacy between photog and model.

Nothing big deal though, since this is a matter of personal preference.
    Yup. Nothing in this life is big deal.

And yes all know kids are not the most patient posers. So why are we even talking about portrait composition in portraits for kids?

All about personal preference. So we might as well don't do any C&C.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 21st December 2010 at 04:26 PM.

And yes all know kids are not the most patient posers. So why are we even talking about portrait composition in portraits for kids?

I believe the goal of C&C is to provide some guidelines. It's not "a-must-follow-instruction" by any means. It all depends on how TS views criticisms.

Anyways, I find this section lame too. After seeing some bashing threads I doubt people gain any skills/knowledge after posting their pictures. That's why I almost never come and read the posts here. well, I shall stop throwing my noobish comments here. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SnagIt View Post
    I believe the goal of C&C is to provide some guidelines. It's not "a-must-follow-instruction" by any means. It all depends on how TS views criticisms.

Anyways, I find this section lame too. After seeing some bashing threads I doubt people gain any skills/knowledge after posting their pictures. That's why I almost never come and read the posts here. well, I shall stop throwing my noobish comments here. cheers
    Thanks bro Albert & Steve, both of you had contributed very useful comments & POV..this bring me the confident and have to learn much on portrait shooting and more..
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS

Encik I prefer the original version... Ands it's look ok... The stool, shoes and clothes she wore does stand out, and no I don't find the background messy or distracting, there enough separation between ya darling and the background..... Infact I wouldn't crop it tighter... Cute gal by the way, can intro my daughter to her too.... Heheheheh..... Become BFF....

My 2cents lord of the noob comments....

Ps: upgrade Liao to full frame.... MTL
    Last edited by akerue; 21st December 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Encik I prefer the original version... Ands it's look ok... The stool, shoes and clothes she wore does stand out, and no I don't find the background messy or distracting, there enough separation between ya darling and the background..... Infact I wouldn't crop it tighter... Cute gal by the way, can intro my daughter to her too.... Heheheheh..... Become BFF....

My 2cents lord of the noob comments....

Ps: upgrade Liao to full frame.... MTL
    Terima kasih encik kerana sanggup datang di sini bagi saya pendapatan anda..
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS

Blog Entries

C&C is about opinions. Everyone is here to learn and share. I've personally learnt a lot here.

You gave your opinion here about TS's pic. I respect that. And I gave my differing opinion from my point of view. I then offered my opinion on your example as well. But was it just me, or I sense you got real defensive of your picture?

You were talking about composition of TS's pic but when it comes to your own pic, you say composition doesn't matter and it is no big deal. You said TS's pic has too much wasted space in the background but his background is all green and not distracting, and when I mention how you can get separation in yours, you went on about catching the moment. In 1 reply, you totally contradicted every advice you gave in your previous critique.

So help me out here. I am really confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs View Post
    Terima kasih encik kerana sanggup datang di sini bagi saya pendapatan anda..
    Ya welcome.... Thou not the best background at least the colour is consistent in the background.. All green, and with the purple theme ya daughter sporting... Heck it makes her stand out.... Plus I thought this was taken in ya backyard.... Didn't know it was at a public place... I think... Any cleaner for a background need go studio Liao....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Ya welcome.... Thou not the best background at least the colour is consistent in the background.. All green, and with the purple theme ya daughter sporting... Heck it makes her stand out.... Plus I thought this was taken in ya backyard.... Didn't know it was at a public place... I think... Any cleaner for a background need go studio Liao....
    how about this for background?
    dont-cut-your-subject-in-half-with-the-horizon
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

C&C is about opinions. Everyone is here to learn and share. I've personally learnt a lot here.

You gave your opinion here about TS's pic. I respect that. And I gave my differing opinion from my point of view. I then offered my opinion on your example as well. But was it just me, or I sense you got real defensive of your picture?
    it is good to be frank and speak your mind. It actually helps when someone else can provide a different opinion and this in turn allow not just ts but others to look into different approach and perspective of the same subject.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I am just curious, hope someone can enlighten me. Reference to some earlier comment, is the background of TS picture consider distracting? If this is the case, what is really consider a good and non-distracting background for outdoor portrait shoot? Thanks in advance.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Perfer the cropped version. Brings more attention to her smile since that's the point of the photo. (:

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    how about this for background?
    dont-cut-your-subject-in-half-with-the-horizon
    Bro Yee,
    Reference your link, do you consider TS photo's common bush/grass line a "horizon", in which case this composition is not ideal?
    Cheers.
    LEW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12