Thread: Fandi moving to Italy

Default Fandi moving to Italy

In today's Malay Newspaper, roughly translated "Fandi & Family to be based in Europe"

It reports that Fandi decided to based his entire family in Italy from 5th January next year after a Chinese friend, who wants to remain anonymous from the public, to sponsor $300k for the move. This is done to allow his 2 eldest sons, Irfan 13 and Ikhsan 11, to develop their full potential in Europe. He also commented his fourth child, also a son,Ilhan 4, have the potential like his brothers.
    He further explains that he's giving 3-5 years to see how far they can go, giving them his full support for their future if they decide to do other things later.

Fandi also will be a staff of an Academy to scout for asian players for a Italian club.

I really support his move. Without debating if his children will or will not don Singapore colours, this move will pave the way for potential local players here ply their trade there.

It only will help local football as I see it. The Philippines national team teach us a thing or two about europe-based players.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 19th December 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Default Re: Fandi moving to Italy

Wow, a rich friend Fandi has - $300K sponsorship!
    In fact, if Fandi's sons have the talent, it is not a bad idea for them to be groom in Europe or Italy this case.
    I remember a decade ago, don't know which minister set a target for Singapore to qualify for World Cup in 2010?!
    Well, all the best to Fandi and his family. May we see the young Fandi shine in soccer world in next decade.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Fantastic news! With the tactics of the Italian game, it's sure to bring another dimension to SG football if they opt for SG citizenship. Plus as TS said, good examples are Niel Etheridge and the Younghusband twins. His friend must be really rich to sponser 300k to move them overseas.

I'll be having a photoshoot with Fandi this thursday!! Really excited to meet the legend.
    Last edited by lamergod; 19th December 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    I remember a decade ago, don't know which minister set a target for Singapore to qualify for World Cup in 2010?!
    It was then PM Goh who set the Goal 2010 target after he watched France won the World Cup in 1998... it kinda set the direction Singapore sports went.. ya know, the FT thingy...
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Considering what is at stake - Fandi made the right decision

Quote Originally Posted by icarus View Post
    It was then PM Goh who set the Goal 2010 target after he watched France won the World Cup in 1998... it kinda set the direction Singapore sports went.. ya know, the FT thingy...

Maybe SM Goh has long forgotten this goal already. Guess need to reset a more realistic new one year 2050 to qualify for WC...
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

for all we know, his kids might give up sg citizenship if they ply their trades well in Italy or elsewhere. Rem they have to be back in sg to do their NS... that's the only way to escape NS.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    for all we know, his kids might give up sg citizenship if they ply their trades well in Italy or elsewhere. Rem they have to be back in sg to do their NS... that's the only way to escape NS.
    Anyone who is a bit smart and have a slight concern for his footballing future will give up his SG citizenship. Unless they aspire to play for SG, there is nothing for them here in SG. Lousy league, lousy job, lousy pay and have to forgo 2 years of wages to serve in NS. Ultimately it is about making a living and if another country offers better prospects, people will go.

There will be no future in Singapore football with our current Government's strategy.

Just visit one of the S-league's team stadium you will understand why. With the exception of Jalan Besar and Bishan, most of the facilities are rather inadequate. Probably just slightly better off then third world nation.

How do you expect S-league to progress when very little has been put in to improve the facilities that these teams are training in.

It was just naive of SM Goh to coin the Goal 2010 when Singapore cannot even win regional competitions. Such is the short sightedness of our leaders when it comes to sports.

I believe they made the right choice, it may seem selfish on their part, but to fulfil one's dreams where many have failed... heh

If they had stayed, and never made it far, end up becoming just one of the statistics in records, that's even sadder than if they had made the effort to reach for the stars.

Go for it!
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    I believe they made the right choice, it may seem selfish on their part, but to fulfil one's dreams where many have failed... heh

If they had stayed, and never made it far, end up becoming just one of the statistics in records, that's even sadder than if they had made the effort to reach for the stars.

Go for it!
    Yeah think he made a wise choice wonder which club is his boys going to? Hopefully is one of the clubs Milan or Juve etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    There will be no future in Singapore football with our current Government's strategy.

Just visit one of the S-league's team stadium you will understand why. With the exception of Jalan Besar and Bishan, most of the facilities are rather inadequate. Probably just slightly better off then third world nation.

How do you expect S-league to progress when very little has been put in to improve the facilities that these teams are training in.

It was just naive of SM Goh to coin the Goal 2010 when Singapore cannot even win regional competitions. Such is the short sightedness of our leaders when it comes to sports.

Our S-League need improvement! it is more then 10yrs n we are still struggling with regional games! While in Japan, J-Leauge's 10th Anniversary their National team already Qualify for the World Cup!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Our S-League need improvement! it is more then 10yrs n we are still struggling with regional games! While in Japan, J-Leauge's 10th Anniversary their National team already Qualify for the World Cup!

Absolutely agreed
    I just switch channel when TV happens to broadcast any S-league matches, really unwatchable.
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Just for comparison.

Japan's J-league was started in 1992 and was given a class 'A' ranking by AFC (source: wiki). Singapore's S-league was started in 1996 just 4 years younger.

Consider the rise of Japanese football for the past few years and you can see how successful their league is compared to us.

Comparing with Japan's FIFA ranking over the years, it is easy to see their progress. Whereas for Singapore, highest rank in 1993 at 75 to consistently out of the top 100 thereafter. (Japan's average ranking is 32).

Guys, I just came back from some event organised by Fandi.

I saw his 3 kids played. It would be a great miss if they took up SA nationality because his second and third son showed amazing capabilities.

The second son had really nice and natural touches and finishing.

His third son, being just 8 years old, playing against boys that are twice his height. (No kidding I'll try to post a picture here to show you the size difference) is super brave. He goes into evey sliding challenges with confidence and is very confident on the ball. He also showed a lot of leadership quality.