Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

  1. #1
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    There are quite a few articles talking about the comparison between the LEE Big Stopper and B+W ND110 that are available on the net .
    E.g.
    Lee Big Stopper 10 stop ND v’s B+W 3.0 10 stop ND filter by Mattlauder.

    Having to say so, nothing is better than testing out and doing the comparison by myself and sharing my findings with my fellow photographers and photography community.

    Here are some shots taken by Nikon D300.
    Setting as follows :

    Exposure : Manual Mode
    ISO : L1 (100)
    Aperture : f16
    Shutter Speed : Bulb Mode (Exposure of 151 secs)
    White Balance : Auto WB for both shoots

    All shots taken in Nikon RAW format.

    Taken with B+W ND110


    Taken with LEE Big Stopper
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  2. #2
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    As we can see, there is a very slight tinge of red cast with the B+W ND110 but an observable blue cast with the LEE Big Stopper.

    Using the B+W ND110 as the reference, I adjust the WB setting using Nikon Capture NX for the shot taken with the LEE Big Stopper.

    WB adjust to Daylight-Direct Sunlight (5200K)


    WB adjust to Cloudy (6000K)


    WB adjust to Shade (8000K)


    WB adjusted to 9090K (Max under Shade)


    At 9090K, the WB seems to be correct. However, in order to achieve the same effect as B+W ND110, I did a Colour Balance and adjust +50 for Red Channel and the result is as follows



    Hope that you all will find this article useful.
    Hope to be able to try out other ND filter and do a more thorough comparison.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  3. #3

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    wow, and i thought the big stopper was touted to be neutral.

    seems like your camera has corrected for nd110 pretty well, but definitely nd110 introduces a heavy red cast without autowb.

  4. #4

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    thanks for your effort looks like nd110 has a decent out of cam photo.

  5. #5
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wow, and i thought the big stopper was touted to be neutral.

    seems like your camera has corrected for nd110 pretty well, but definitely nd110 introduces a heavy red cast without autowb.
    Nightmare86 : So far all my shots with B+W ND110 appeared more neutral (at least on my screen ) and the LEE Big Stopper has a strong blue cast. I usually use Auto WB and do not change the WB to daylight unless really needed. Do feel free to share your photos here if yours got the red cast.

    We are all here to share and learn.

    Thanks and cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by KelvinDestiny View Post
    thanks for your effort looks like nd110 has a decent out of cam photo.
    KelvinDestiny : Thanks.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  6. #6

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Nightmare86 : So far all my shots with B+W ND110 appeared more neutral (at least on my screen ) and the LEE Big Stopper has a strong blue cast. I usually use Auto WB and do not change the WB to daylight unless really needed. Do feel free to share your photos here if yours got the red cast.
    i don't have much problems with it because i generally shoot raw and for daytime shots, the auto wb tends to correct it well similarly, like what you have experienced.

    i think you can easily tell what cast is introduced when you output jpg from raw and select the correct wb. let's say if you take a picture with nd110 in daytime blue skies conditions, and you select wb as daylight, it should give something close to correct. maybe not spot on, but it would look ok enough. with the nd110 being used, it would have red cast added, that's what i meant.

    i haven't really used the lee big stopper, cos i got no money to try or buy.

    for sunset timing, it is more obvious, but red cast... is always ok for sunset. and easily corrected, if not desirable.

  7. #7
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't have much problems with it because i generally shoot raw and for daytime shots, the auto wb tends to correct it well similarly, like what you have experienced.

    i think you can easily tell what cast is introduced when you output jpg from raw and select the correct wb. let's say if you take a picture with nd110 in daytime blue skies conditions, and you select wb as daylight, it should give something close to correct. maybe not spot on, but it would look ok enough. with the nd110 being used, it would have red cast added, that's what i meant.

    i haven't really used the lee big stopper, cos i got no money to try or buy.

    for sunset timing, it is more obvious, but red cast... is always ok for sunset. and easily corrected, if not desirable.
    I see, thanks for sharing.

    I am now a bit regretted that I sold off my Hoya ND400.
    If not I can do another comparison.

    Was thinking of doing a comparison with the Kenko ND400 and the ND400 Pro series but so far, I'm quite satisfy with B+W ND110 and finally found a way to do post-processing for the RAW file when using the LEE Big stopper.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  8. #8

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    I see, thanks for sharing.

    I am now a bit regretted that I sold off my Hoya ND400.
    If not I can do another comparison.

    Was thinking of doing a comparison with the Kenko ND400 and the ND400 Pro series but so far, I'm quite satisfy with B+W ND110 and finally found a way to do post-processing for the RAW file when using the LEE Big stopper.
    hoya nd400 tends to give reddish cast also, wonder why the big stopper gives bluish cast..

    i am also happy with b+wnd110. if only they would make it slimmer though, but not sure if that's possible, would make stacking it with gnd at 10mm better - right now get the filter holder appearing at the extreme corners.

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wow, and i thought the big stopper was touted to be neutral.

    seems like your camera has corrected for nd110 pretty well, but definitely nd110 introduces a heavy red cast without autowb.
    Actually the big stopper is not neutral. It is a lot cooler. But cooler is easier to correct compared to the ND110 I find. That is why I sold my ND110 after trying the big stopper.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th December 2010 at 02:36 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually the big stopper is not neutral. It is a lot cooler. But cooler is easy to correct compared to the ND110.
    if you shoot raw, none of them will be a problem.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you shoot raw, none of them will be a problem.
    I do shoot raw. In some situations the cast is especially bad with the ND110. Longer exposures in cloudy (humid type) situation. Happened a few times. So bad that I lost color detail.

  12. #12

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I do shoot raw. In some situations the cast is especially bad with the ND110. Happened a few time. So bad that I lost color detail.
    hrm, never had that problem, except when the light is not the best, i.e. sun present in full glory. most other times, cast is easily correctable with select white point or kelvin with appropriate adjustments.

    anyways, well, whatever you're happy to use, both have their perks i guess. for example, i don't have to buy a lee filter system when using the nd110..

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hrm, never had that problem, except when the light is not the best, i.e. sun present in full glory. most other times, cast is easily correctable with select white point or kelvin with appropriate adjustments.
    I guess the gods were not on my side.

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    anyways, well, whatever you're happy to use, both have their perks i guess. for example, i don't have to buy a lee filter system when using the nd110..
    Yea. It makes sense for me because I already got the Lee holder. Bought in BnS at a very good price.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Thanks for the review Francis. I am sure the Lee Big Stoppers have seen better days from the past reviews I read. I have written a 'strong worded' letter to Lee Filters about their current batch plagued by blue disease and have yet to hear from them.

  16. #16
    Member ClemC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Within myself
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    anyways, well, whatever you're happy to use, both have their perks i guess. for example, i don't have to buy a lee filter system when using the nd110..
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Yea. It makes sense for me because I already got the Lee holder. Bought in BnS at a very good price.
    Nightmare & Daredevil - thanks for sharing... I have never look into details of the color cast of LEE Big-Stopper & B+W ND110 and reading this helps.. Thanks to TS - Francis247 !!..

    I have only thought that the significant reason for using the filter-holder type is the ability to use graduated ND over a wider range of positions.. Time to learn more..
    Last edited by ClemC; 19th December 2010 at 09:12 PM.

  17. #17
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    yep interesting to know how the filters work better. perhaps francis u might wanna even attempt a step further, seeing how the filters work for IR.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    1°25'10.16"N 103°50'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    I believe Nikon camera are less sensitive to UV/IR so, the red cast on your Nikon isn't that obvious as compared to my Canon. Fortunately, it can be corrected easily.

    Just one thing, you should not have used either of the filter sample as reference but a control instead.

  19. #19
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I believe Nikon camera are less sensitive to UV/IR so, the red cast on your Nikon isn't that obvious as compared to my Canon. Fortunately, it can be corrected easily.

    Just one thing, you should not have used either of the filter sample as reference but a control instead.
    There aren't any for UV for digital. For IR, most newer camera are less sensitive to IR due to stronger filter in front of the sensor. Regarding older camera, I always feel that my friend Nikon capture more IR as compared to my 300D or 30D when I am still into IR in the past. BTW, we are both using R72 and non modified camera with same shutter timing, F-stop, ISO 100 and distance, on tripod for test.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: [Comparison] LEE Big Stopper vs B+W ND110

    Hmmm, I have yet to experience this bluecast with my Lee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •