Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

  1. #1

    Default 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Using Canon 60D & Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro + Tripod
    Please give comments, first time doing product shots hope can improve. Thanks

    N0. 1



    No. 2



    No. 3



    No. 4
    Last edited by tcnk; 18th December 2010 at 12:52 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Sorry not Canon EF-S 10-22mm its

    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro :P

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    First photo, DOF seems abit too shallow. Maybe it's just me, but I would want to be able to look at a sharp object when I am looking at products.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    pics are nice and sharp altho i hafta agree with tehzeh bout the shallow dof haha pics are tack sharp otherwise great job

  5. #5

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Thanks for all the input, will try harder next time.

  6. #6
    Member Renez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    The first photo looks pretty professional. The others r fine too.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renez
    The first photo looks pretty professional. The others r fine too.
    Thks, the photos did pass at our product meeting so making them into brochure soon.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Nice product Shot

    like 1 & 2 :3

    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Curious : Where can you find such material that reflect your product ?
    I go Popular/Art Friends don have such quality like almost mirror... u using mirror / special" paper ?

    If paper
    Where can you find ? Price Range?

  9. #9
    Member tanwji87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taman Jurong
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by wkyalan View Post
    Nice product Shot

    like 1 & 2 :3

    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Curious : Where can you find such material that reflect your product ?
    I go Popular/Art Friends don have such quality like almost mirror... u using mirror / special" paper ?

    If paper
    Where can you find ? Price Range?

    could it be juz a black table with glass top?

  10. #10

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Hi Bro...up you app to max and 100 iso..take a 30sec shot if you have to..pics will come out razor sharp...

  11. #11

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by BaBaBanshee View Post
    Hi Bro...up you app to max and 100 iso..take a 30sec shot if you have to..pics will come out razor sharp...


    lol.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by wkyalan View Post
    Nice product Shot

    like 1 & 2 :3

    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Curious : Where can you find such material that reflect your product ?
    I go Popular/Art Friends don have such quality like almost mirror... u using mirror / special" paper ?

    If paper
    Where can you find ? Price Range?
    i use a black Acrylic as the base, the reflection just come out from it.

  13. #13

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    @TCNK
    Your shots are nice. Back in my time though, we would have used the Tilt-Shift-Rise-Fall functions of the 4x5 Camera to maximize or minimize the DOF. But then again, my Customers used to be Dinosaurs as well. But it is good for you to know that it can be done.

    You've handled reflective objects very well, and if I were to "Bitch", I'd only add that in pix one, I can see what looks like the reflection of your hand/arm/ face because it is of skin-tone color. For all such future shoots, wear black, and either get out of the way, or make sure that the reflection does NOT catch yourself in it.

    I used to shoot jewellery, and it was imperative that skin colors DO NOT get into the shot because it makes the Diamonds look flawed. However, there's alwez photoshop....

    Good Job, and Cheers
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

  14. #14

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    @TCNK
    Your shots are nice. Back in my time though, we would have used the Tilt-Shift-Rise-Fall functions of the 4x5 Camera to maximize or minimize the DOF. But then again, my Customers used to be Dinosaurs as well. But it is good for you to know that it can be done.

    You've handled reflective objects very well, and if I were to "Bitch", I'd only add that in pix one, I can see what looks like the reflection of your hand/arm/ face because it is of skin-tone color. For all such future shoots, wear black, and either get out of the way, or make sure that the reflection does NOT catch yourself in it.

    I used to shoot jewellery, and it was imperative that skin colors DO NOT get into the shot because it makes the Diamonds look flawed. However, there's alwez photoshop....

    Good Job, and Cheers
    Thanks Michael, your advise got me realized there's reflection of my skin tone color. Next time i get out of the way and use the wireless control. Thanks again,

  15. #15

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    No Problems. Just glad to help, that's all...

    Cheers
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

  16. #16
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    22,019

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    #1, a little more DOF will be great, the reflection at the 2 to 5 o'clock position is acceptable, but it will good if can make it lighter and need to cleaning it up to remove the color at the lower parts.

    #2, would prefer you to rotate the item more, don't let the line cut across the star.

    #3, and #4, if it is similar product, have the arrangement the products to be more identical will have less distraction.

    #4, it will be good to reflect a little light back to the front of the rim, so able to show the thickness of the item.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #17

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    #1, a little more DOF will be great, the reflection at the 2 to 5 o'clock position is acceptable, but it will good if can make it lighter and need to cleaning it up to remove the color at the lower parts.

    #2, would prefer you to rotate the item more, don't let the line cut across the star.

    #3, and #4, if it is similar product, have the arrangement the products to be more identical will have less distraction.

    #4, it will be good to reflect a little light back to the front of the rim, so able to show the thickness of the item.
    You are very detail bro, glad you drop by to give advise the other thing is my photoshop isn't very good.

  18. #18
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Hello, I am still learning and I really like the exposure of your images.

    Could you please enlighten me on your setup? How did you get the light to be so diffused and soft? Did you use a light tents/cloth covering flash etc. or just plain shooting in the open with bounced flash?

    Would appreciate your insight!

  19. #19

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by Linnl71 View Post
    Hello, I am still learning and I really like the exposure of your images.

    Could you please enlighten me on your setup? How did you get the light to be so diffused and soft? Did you use a light tents/cloth covering flash etc. or just plain shooting in the open with bounced flash?

    Would appreciate your insight!
    Hi Linnl71

    I use this mini studio to shoot the products.


  20. #20

    Default Re: 1st Time doing Product Shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by tcnk View Post
    Hi Linnl71

    I use this mini studio to shoot the products.

    Does the portable set-up that you bought include the acrylic background or was it bought separately?
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •