Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: NDP2004 tics??

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Not too sure about that. Last time when NDP was around the corner, nobody even wanted to go. Everything changed when the goodie bag was introduced. I'm superficial? Heh. My my, that's what I potray when I don't sound too patriotic eh?
    Oh, nobody wanted to go? Are you sure? Not even one? Heh. Well, what do you expect yourself to portray? LOL. nationalism? Perhaps you should visit one of the NDPs, without having the idea of wanting the goodie bag. Maybe then, you would be able to fully absorb the atmosphere and celebrate the nation's birthday with other like-minded people. Sigh, some people are just slow. They claim that no one would go for the NDP if goodie bags weren't given out, and then expect people to respect them. lol.

    I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others. I don't want to make a monkey out of you. Why should I take all the credit for the one thing you've done yourself?
    Last edited by junyang; 2nd July 2004 at 09:37 AM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    There are some tickets on the 10th of july for Combine rehersal, i think u can get from the commitee...
    Damnation! I want to go, even if there's no fireworks!

    Anyone got any tix to the combined reherasal thing?

  3. #23

    Default

    Not too sure about that. Last time when NDP was around the corner, nobody even wanted to go. Everything changed when the goodie bag was introduced. I'm superficial? Heh. My my, that's what I potray when I don't sound too patriotic eh?
    Are you sure nobody wanted to go? Then explain why people were braving the rain to watch the very first NDP Singapore had.

    Do you have any proof to substantiate your arguement that Singaporeans are flocking to NDP only for the goody bag? Are there any surveys or statistics to prove it?

    And no, that's not what you portray when you don't sound too patriotic.

    That's just the image you're portraying to everybody reading this thread.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    267

    Default

    There'll be a month long pre National Day activities around town.

    Watch out for the International Fireworks Competition, plenty of opportunities to shoot fireworks. Details will be announced soon.

  5. #25
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    That's what you think, you never serve army before? I'm not complaining, things happen often in the army, and normally... well I shall not elaborate, those who participated before will know.
    uh... i guess you didn't have an opportunity to know the committee at all, for the previous events. and to your question, yes, i'm serving IN the army right now.

    drummercow, you also 6div?

    jsbn, if you REALLY want, i can try and see if i can get a spare combined rehearsal 3 ticket for you or not.... but no promises, ok?

    it's good to know that the skeptics are low on the count on this forum. cheers guys!

  6. #26
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junyang
    Oh, nobody wanted to go? Are you sure? Not even one? Heh. Well, what do you expect yourself to portray? LOL. nationalism? Perhaps you should visit one of the NDPs, without having the idea of wanting the goodie bag. Maybe then, you would be able to fully absorb the atmosphere and celebrate the nation's birthday with other like-minded people. Sigh, some people are just slow. They claim that no one would go for the NDP if goodie bags weren't given out, and then expect people to respect them. lol.

    I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others. I don't want to make a monkey out of you. Why should I take all the credit for the one thing you've done yourself?
    What did I do? You added in that last paragraph to feel good only, what you added only was to make yourself look better and me lousier. I don't need to visit NDPs, have been there and participated in two.

    What my point is there are a lot of people who don't care, and that's a fact, it's a majority. People who refuse to acknowledge the truth asks for proofs, sorry can't help you if you want to portray that "I'm better than you, cos I would go for NDP not for the goodie bags" thingie.

    Finish reading my paragraph before cutting & pasting and bolding it, it was a fact many years ago when NDP started for celebrations, nobody wanted to go, only when the goodie bags started they go.

    Don't try to sound all Mr-Nice-and-better than others, you can be patriotic all you want, but it's not going to make you better just because you are and I'm not.

  7. #27
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alvyn
    Are you sure nobody wanted to go? Then explain why people were braving the rain to watch the very first NDP Singapore had.

    Do you have any proof to substantiate your arguement that Singaporeans are flocking to NDP only for the goody bag? Are there any surveys or statistics to prove it?

    And no, that's not what you portray when you don't sound too patriotic.

    That's just the image you're portraying to everybody reading this thread.

    Tsk tsk... the situation reversed only when the goodie bags appeared, unless I wanna dig into history which I don't think I can since I'm not well versed in history of Singapore even if you ask me which year SG was born, I'd just have to take the current NDP number and deduct away from the current year just to tel you that.

    I'm just portraying the ugly side of things you folks never knew nor see before, what you saw is only now, perhaps things have changed, but Singaporeans hardly will.

  8. #28
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    uh... i guess you didn't have an opportunity to know the committee at all, for the previous events. and to your question, yes, i'm serving IN the army right now.

    drummercow, you also 6div?

    jsbn, if you REALLY want, i can try and see if i can get a spare combined rehearsal 3 ticket for you or not.... but no promises, ok?

    it's good to know that the skeptics are low on the count on this forum. cheers guys!
    Oh no.... I didn't have to be in the committee or know the committee, I've already observed things from afar to know more than what you CURRENTLY serving in the army would know.

    There's too much 'for-show' already, just like there's always two sides to a story, people always like the gung-ho & good side. Nobody will accept the lesser side.

    Btw, I've participated in 2 NDPs before you folks even started shooting NDPs. Call me ignorant, but what I know definitely is not what you see.

  9. #29
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    What my point is there are a lot of people who don't care, and that's a fact, it's a majority. People who refuse to acknowledge the truth asks for proofs, sorry can't help you if you want to portray that "I'm better than you, cos I would go for NDP not for the goodie bags" thingie.

    Finish reading my paragraph before cutting & pasting and bolding it, it was a fact many years ago when NDP started for celebrations, nobody wanted to go, only when the goodie bags started they go.
    just to straighten things out:
    i'm one of those who doesn't mind going attending a big party of sorts, freebies or not. when the nation was fresh, i suppose there was an even stronger sense of identity, to let the citizens gel as one in common. but the basis of your belief may be skewed in the sense that your "majority" and "a lot of people", aren't given in close-to-absolute figures, nor estimates of percentages. your "a lot" may be 1000, 1000, 100, or even 10. but judging from the flag flying campaigns of the past, there were definitely years where people were a lot more patriotic than what you suggest them to be. perhaps it's different years we're talking about, so you have the benefit of doubt. and indeed, these years of late, there's hardly much flag flying from homes, but i wouldn't be too sure if that's because of less publicity for the action, or less patriotism/belonging to the country.

    since i was a toddler, i strongly felt this island is my home. and now, having seen the good and bad sides of it all through work, play, studies, life, i will still gladly acknowledge this island as home - i've learnt of the term called tradeoffs. but why do you sound a hint of being bitter? maybe "bitter" is a wrong word, it might be "indifferent". indifference is a worrying trend that i see in daily life, but it can be addressed by individuals who are aware of it manifesting in themselves.

    i'm not reprimanding in any way, but i'm concerned. where is the love?

    of "observing from afar", how far was your afar? i can't speak for those committees of the past, but i'm sure this year's committee is true to their task. there are always two sides of the coin, but it's a conscious decision you made to believe that the "lesser side" is pretty much evident.

    when in times of crisis, to whom do you belong to? only to yourself, or to a fellow community?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    ok espn and sehsuan, both of you knock it off. whatever your opinion of how NDP is, it's certainly not contributing to this thread. This is not a personal wrangling ground.

    This thread has strayed very far OT, so i'm locking it. if the thread starter wish to re-open it, pls PM me directly.

    The Moderator
    ClubSNAP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •