Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: D80 vs D90

  1. #1
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,259

    Default D80 vs D90

    Hi, can users share the key features and difference between the 2 cameras? I know D90 is the newer version but are these changes important for newbies?

    I know this may be very subjective but as a general guide. For example, if the D90 may help newbie to delay further upgrade of the body if he wants to add lens or something like that. I noted that for used camera, the price difference can be $300 or more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Island East
    Posts
    178

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Hi, can users share the key features and difference between the 2 cameras? I know D90 is the newer version but are these changes important for newbies?

    I know this may be very subjective but as a general guide. For example, if the D90 may help newbie to delay further upgrade of the body if he wants to add lens or something like that. I noted that for used camera, the price difference can be $300 or more.
    If you appreciate better high ISO performance, then D90. Else, D80 would have most of the functions D90 offers. Check Dpreview out.

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Hi, can users share the key features and difference between the 2 cameras? I know D90 is the newer version but are these changes important for newbies?

    I know this may be very subjective but as a general guide. For example, if the D90 may help newbie to delay further upgrade of the body if he wants to add lens or something like that. I noted that for used camera, the price difference can be $300 or more.
    D80 is CCD based.
    D90 is CMOS based.

    D90 has much better ISO performance because it is newer generation.
    D90 has video, D80 doesn't.
    D90 has liveview, D80 doesn't
    D90 comes with 18-105VR kit lens, D80 comes with 18-135 kit lens.
    D90 has better battery life compared to D80 (due to CMOS being more frugal on power).
    D80 has better colors SOOC but color settings can be changed to get what you want.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    delay to upgrade? its all about temptation...
    i see d300 user who get tempted by d700 and d3, while i see many d40/50/60/70 users still holding on to their 4-6yrs old cam as well.

  5. #5

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    delay to upgrade? its all about temptation...
    i see d300 user who get tempted by d700 and d3, while i see many d40/50/60/70 users still holding on to their 4-6yrs old cam as well.
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering....

    Beware of Temptation of the Dark Side, it might corrupt your mind.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  6. #6
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    I guess my questions may have been too general. Can I rephrase a bit here?

    1) how important is CMOS for newbies beside saving power?
    2) In what way 18-108 vr would be better than 18-135 vr?
    3) would user face problem later if they decide to add lens for d80 or when they upgrade to higher model?

    The following questions maybe taboo here but I just want to have a better understanding.

    I consider canon 550 = nikon d90, whilst their 500 = d80. However, canon 500 is using CMOS and has video, won't it be a better choice than d80?

  7. #7

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    I guess my questions may have been too general. Can I rephrase a bit here?

    1) how important is CMOS for newbies beside saving power?
    2) In what way 18-108 vr would be better than 18-135 vr?
    3) would user face problem later if they decide to add lens for d80 or when they upgrade to higher model?

    The following questions maybe taboo here but I just want to have a better understanding.

    I consider canon 550 = nikon d90, whilst their 500 = d80. However, canon 500 is using CMOS and has video, won't it be a better choice than d80?
    The CCD sensor is not super power consuming, one battery can last you a day without much problems. Also, the 18-135 is non-VR, so don't be surprised later on if you get the kit from someone.

    Both D80 and D90 have the same mount and both have built in focusing motors, so no problem with lenses. No problems with body upgrades unless you are moving up to FX, in which case, DX lenses are not compatible. This issue applies to both D80 and D90.

  8. #8

    Default Re: D80 vs D90

    I use both cameras, most of the time I dont realise which cam I am bringing out cause they really are pretty identical. I seldom use live view (less than 5 times) so no live view is alright in my d80. But i do prefer the controls of D90 and the larger LCD screen to review my pics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •