Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Buying Camera!t

Default Re: Newbie Buying Camera!t

thank you all for your very kind and helpful comments for a noob like me.

you guys are right in the sense that weight might be a issue for my missus, and i would want to satisfy the tech geek in me to see what i can achieve. NEX is a very good camera, at least from what i can see when i pop by shops, but i am also concerned about the limitations of the lens' ranges.

my budget is around 1.4k, and NEX along with Canon 550D is within my budget.

thanks for all your comments and advices. really really appreciate it.

whether the range of lens available will limit you will depend on your need.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by loansharkie View Post

you guys are right in the sense that weight might be a issue for my missus, and i would want to satisfy the tech geek in me to see what i can achieve. NEX is a very good camera, at least from what i can see when i pop by shops, but i am also concerned about the limitations of the lens' ranges.

I urge you to broaden your "horizon" and at least consider the other brands out there.
    But if you have your heart set on one of these 2, then by all means
    They're both capable cameras.
    Exploring! :)

Fyi, more lens will be released for the nex series next year. Thus, i don't think that lens' range is an issue. In additional, there's also the option of using A-mount lenses with an adapter. Not to mention, there are those who pair the NEX with legacy lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    TS.. IMO you should get ur wife her own pns.. i love S95 for its IQ and compactness.. she can keep it in her bag all the time.. and get urself DSLR for ur own use.
    I agree with Intrance. Perhaps start by getting something like the canon s95, which will cost you less than half your budget. Your wife will probably take to it easily and you'll probably find that while it has a fixed lens, it's not the typical PnS. Read the manual, push the cam to its limits and when you find yourself limited by the cam (which could happen in a week or a few months, or perhaps not all all), get yourself a digital slr.

i vote for the NEX for you and your wife.
    bought a DSLR and my wife hardly uses it. she still prefers our old powershot A530.

i'm just waiting for the powershot to die on me so that i can get a replacement in terms of a portable camera and highly considering the S95.

cheers!
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Blog Entries

nikon 5000d? wasn't actually in my considerations until a salesperson pointed out that its 1099 and top up 200 bucks for 18-200mm on top of the 18-55mm.
    Please make sure WHICH 18-200 lens you will be getting. The Nikon 18-200 VR costs around 1k and the newer Nikon 18-200VR2 costs around 1.2k on their own.

I don't think they are referring to these 2 lens when they say you can get a 18-200 lens for a $200 top up. They will not be that gracious to offer you a Nikon 18-200 based on that price.

Will probably give you a very old lousy non-VR (non-VC, non-OS) Tamron 18-200 or Sigma 18-200.

Don't fall for the oldest rip off in the book. "Bait-and-switch".

I suggest you go to recommended shops to do your shopping. Checking pricings here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Please make sure WHICH 18-200 lens you will be getting. The Nikon 18-200 VR costs around 1k and the newer Nikon 18-200VR2 costs around 1.2k on their own.

I don't think they are referring to these 2 lens when they say you can get a 18-200 lens for a $200 top up. They will not be that gracious to offer you a Nikon 18-200 based on that price.

Will probably give you a very old lousy non-VR (non-VC, non-OS) Tamron 18-200 or Sigma 18-200.

Don't fall for the oldest rip off in the book. "Bait-and-switch".

I suggest you go to recommended shops to do your shopping. Checking pricings here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124
    thanks! you're right. i have no idea what exactly is the lens. will read up on it. thanks a lot.

push up ur budget for another $200
    and give ur wifey S95 for her christmas present and indulge urself with either K-r or A33.
    ~PeaceNoWar~

550 is light within your handgrip and within your budget and it is a DSLR.

I'd recommend the nex. It takes pictures with quality on par with the other 2 dslrs. The optional lens that you can use with it are very good.

And in my experience, the ladies would prefer the nex as it is lighter, smaller. They seldom complain about the techi-ness of dslrs, just size and weight.

And don't think that you will be sacrificing quality by getting the nex. Like mentioned before, the nex as far as technical image quality goes, is as good as those 2 dslrs. (but how you use it, different story haha)

My wife has the nex. she loves it. it fits in her handbag, when she takes pictures they come out great, its light so she brings it out all the time. **** I have a Canon 5D, sometimes I take her camera with the optional voigtlander 35mm 1.4 out instead of the 5D, its a wonderful little machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12