Thread: Simple Joy.

Default Simple Joy.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition - could I have gotten a better angle to capture the innocence/purity of the child's expression?
    Post-processing - made some adjustments on curves, sharpness, added some vignetting. Is it overdone/unnatural?
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I had hoped to capture the simplicity of a child as she takes joy in catching those bubbles. It speaks a lot about how complicated we've grown up to be and reminds us of who we were when we were much younger.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Photo was captured late afternoon/early evening at marina barrage.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Hope that I did captured more than just a photo, but an image that tells us the beauty of the simplicity of a child. Just starting out, and really need some critique on this! I don't want to be limited by my own perspectives of how framing a picture can be because that'll hinder me from improving because I think the background might be too distracting! so please do feedback! would really appreciate your criticisms

Default Re: Simple Joy.

The child probably is laughing and enjoying himself. However, this photo don't seems like it manage to capture that. Rather, the photo shows the child is grinding his teeth waiting to catch an incoming ball. Capturing a dynamic scene like this is difficult. Things change in milliseconds. You probably might want to consider tungtong's machine gun style of shooting.

and the background is really distracting.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Tighter crop would have been better, bg is very distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    The child probably is laughing and enjoying himself. However, this photo don't seems like it manage to capture that. Rather, the photo shows the child is grinding his teeth waiting to catch an incoming ball. Capturing a dynamic scene like this is difficult. Things change in milliseconds. You probably might want to consider tungtong's machine gun style of shooting.

and the background is really distracting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    Tighter crop would have been better, bg is very distracting.
    hi guys, thanks for the feedback! I think it's true a tighter crop would have been better, cut out the less distracting background and more focused on the child's expression...

appreciate it very much! will apply!

Hi, I am a newbie thus should not have given my comment here. Just to share my initial thought on the photo.

I didn't notice the bubbles till I read your comments. Usually, you should see the joyful expression of the child playing with bubbles but in this instant, I thought he/she was having fun playing on an open field.

Maybe just lacking of a main focus point for this picture?

hi i'm not exactly a fan nor a pro at candid shots but here's some honest feedback from me...

i agree its not very easy to capture such a scene that will pass even faster than a second but...

if u could zoom in tighter to the girl, it would automatically eliminate much of the distracting background...(and make your shot more powah )

and 1 more thing i find the vignetting a little overdone...maybe reduce a bit?

but great attempt anyways! keep shooting and you'll get the hang of it

Hi TS,
    The timing was right, the kid was enjoying himself/herself.. It could have been a better shoot.. if you intention is to capture the facial expressions, you should ahve used a tele lens.. that will also handle the required bokeh... I like the sunrays on a side of the face.. the background if dark, will make him/her stand out.. and a few bubbles in the direction of his sights will make it a strong image.. Happy shooting..