View Poll Results: Have you donate to KenRockwell?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have donated

3 4.05%
  • No, I have not donate

37 50.00%
  • Yes, I may consider donate in future

1 1.35%
  • No, I will never donate to organization/people

33 44.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you donate to KenRockwell?

Default Re: Have you donate to KenRockwell?

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    But most reviewers have sponsors or ads on their site. I keep hearing how bad KR is like he's the most hated guy on the net.
    Yes but they actually have evidence (only test charts but that is still something) to back up their claims. They also don't say such things like "this is all you'll ever need to shoot great pictures". They don't bring out much bad points about the stuff they review, but they don't overblow the good stuff either.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    Ken Rockwell actually tells people NOT TO BUY GEAR they don't need. How is that "getting people to buy stuff so he can get a cut"?
    That is just pretending to look credible.

Alot of times, he contradicts himself. I remembered he reviewed a particular Canon lens and he didn't rate it highly. Later, when he reviewed another lens (can't remember which one) which he said couldn't be compared to the excellent Canon lens; which he mentioned in his earlier review. WTF........ Always read what he says with a pinch of salt.

Seems that KR bashing is in fashion & better flow with the tide Its fun, but seriously, I enjoyed his non too technical articles/reviews & benefit from them to certain extent. It doesnt cost me a cent but much effort from that person. Maybe his all too american cowboy type style grates many. Perhaps those who think they are so so much better can start a review site.... and let me do some bashing too

Donate dont donate its up to the individual, its not a scam but I dont.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 18th December 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Seems that KR bashing is in fashion & better flow with the tide Its fun, but seriously, I enjoyed his non too technical articles/reviews & benefit from them to certain extent. It doesnt cost me a cent but much effort from that person. Maybe his all too american cowboy type style grates many. Perhaps those who think they are so so much better can start a review site.... and let me do some bashing too

most Nikonians have probably read some of ken's rather exciting reviews at one time or another.

initially his reviews weren't so bad(around 2002-2003) then, it got progressively silly and eventually to the point of stupidity.

we dun hate him neither do we like to bash him but hey, u can say that it probably will help his case more if he does not ride on his 'popularity' and began his crazy and wild reviews of fotographic equipments that were still vapourware and no one has yet to touch them(he DID ADMIT that he is basing his so-n-so review on his imagination).

sure, reading his review purely for entertainment and a laugh is fine. no one will stop anyone from doing so.

as for the donation, may i suggest, since some of us here have 'benefited' in one way or another, perhaps a token of appreciation for all his wild imagination would be the perfect slap on the back as an encouragement and one for the laughs.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Exactly, like I mentioned in another thread, he is just someone who enjoys photography and writes about it. He even said that whatever he blogs about is his personal opinion. People need to stop their crude, scornful and pride-filled remarks about others who like them enjoy photography.

Did he force you to donate? Hello?

You don't just write someone off just like that. Credit should be given where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post

Yes, me too. I did benefit from some of his info. I don't agree with everything he says, however I don't see why I should thrash him for the work he does. He deserves some respect just like anyone else.

and I 2nd you " Perhaps those who think they are so so much better can start a review site.."

Quote Originally Posted by oneandfourquarters View Post
    Exactly, like I mentioned in another thread, he is just someone who enjoys photography and writes about it. He even said that whatever he blogs about is his personal opinion. People need to stop their crude, scornful and pride-filled remarks about others who like them enjoy photography.

Did he force you to donate? Hello?

You don't just write someone off just like that. Credit should be given where credit is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneandfourquarters View Post
    Yes, me too. I did benefit from some of his info. I don't agree with everything he says, however I don't see why I should thrash him for the work he does. He deserves some respect just like anyone else.

and I 2nd you " Perhaps those who think they are so so much better can start a review site.."
    good for u if u enjoyed what he wrote and have benefited from it.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Most of reviews exaggerate the plus points of the gears. Also, he writes pretty biased comparisons. All meant to poison people into buying the stuff he recommends so he can get a cut from it.
    Haha guess he managed to poison me into getting the Canon 5D to use with
    my Carl Zeiss lens then

On a serious note one has to make a living though.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

No I will not donate! 1st of all, I dun read his article. secondly, there is many more which refer to, if everyone ask for donation then how?

BTW Wikipedia is asking for donation too... already got 11.1Mil!!! target is 16M
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Looks like close to 100% of voters and majority of CSers have not or disagreed on donating to KRw.
    I believe most voters and CSers are Asian, is it because of culture?
    Just curious if Americans and Europeans might have different opinion and response?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Could be, though I know that families, friends and acquaintances are more like to contribute than just regular internet guests unless there's a worthy cause involved. I contributed to the Sichuan earthquake cause because having been there I know there's a real need for support, but for Wikipedia they'll get their support from corporate endorsements, media or people who just want to be known for something. That guy was already a millionaire and he's begging for more???

Ken's harmless, he's an experienced reviewer and he's probably helped a few readers make up their minds one way or another.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Looks like close to 100% of voters and majority of CSers have not or disagreed on donating to KRw.
    I believe most voters and CSers are Asian, is it because of culture?
    Just curious if Americans and Europeans might have different opinion and response?
    From my understanding from the comments in the web, I think most agree that KRW review are not to be taken seriously from a professional standpoint. Largely because of the things he say doesnt help to give him that credibility.

But his site goes generate alot of traffic. Sometimes I read his site for 'entertainment' value.
    Alpha and Omega

He is a reviewer who is quite a character. Though i don't always agree with his sweeping statements but i must agree he has shed some light on many issues.
    Because he has been in the photography field for a long time, there are always something to learn from him, especially those long forgotten lenses which are actually very good tools for seasoned pros and amateurs alike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12