Thread: Printing Quality vs Image Compression

Default Printing Quality vs Image Compression

Though I have done some google and research for the best quality printouts on a 4R photo paper, this question is still stuck in my head for a pretty long time.

I have been printing photos using Windows Picture Viewer with quality set to 600dpi printouts and printing using a normal HP C4480 photo printer. All shots that were printed are converted from RAW to TIFF format using CS4, with image size set to original 5184 x 3456 (18MP) and a resolution of 240dpi. I understand that this will definitely be sufficient for a 4" x 6" (4R) prints but the downside of 50+MB per file is a practical waste of space. I have also tried printing a 1024 x 683 image and the photo turns out soft.

Hence, I would like some guidance here on what are the recommended resolution, dpi and format used for printing 4R photos.

Many Thanks in Advance for any incoming advices!

Default Re: Printing Quality vs Image Compression

300dpi (1800x1200 for a 4R) in JPG using low compression settings is good enough.

you only need 1800 pixel x 1200pixel (300ppi) for a 4R print out, if you printer can only support 300ppi, given a higher resolution will not help to improve the quantity. set in at lower resolution it will be pixelated.

I don't do self printing, all my prints are lab print, just cast out a jpg save in 12, 300ppi in the respective paper size I ordered. (ppi= pixel per inch)
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

btw, printing from Tiff is not necessary or able to improve quality, unless the printer only support tiff format
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Many Thanks for the advices! I shall check out my printer's native dpi support for printing. Saving the file in JPEG (12) at 1800 x 1200, 300dpi will definitely saves alot of disk space compared to my Tiff file.