Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrated...

Default Re: Frustrated...

Quote Originally Posted by megain View Post
    Oh? How can you get ripped off if you check the item on the spot?
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Are you confident that you can do 100% check? The internals and all? There is always a chance to get ripped off despite a functional and external check.

From your posts, it sounds like you have not been out in the world too much. Are you a student? The innocence... Ahhh
    just to add on, getting ripped off doesnt just mean getting a bad gear. it's still a rip off even if you got a good (or even excellent) condition item but was way overpriced. like getting a new vitacon UV filter for say $120 . that's the kind that usually happens at those shady retail camera stores.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    just to add on, getting ripped off doesnt just mean getting a bad gear. it's still a rip off even if you got a good (or even excellent) condition item but was way overpriced. like getting a new vitacon UV filter for say $120 . that's the kind that usually happens at those shady retail camera stores.
    Eh, I wonder how this kind of shop survices? It's like since most people go reputable stores. Like MS color 30% market share, Jonh3 10% market share, Cathay 30% market share ... BnS section 10% market share.

Then when I was looking for bags @ TK photo I saw the guy from the shop which previously solicited me to buy (dunno what brand) 220$ UV filter :. He walked in and talked to TK people about stocks of some items.

So acutally reputable stores get stocks from these blood-sucker shops too?

the shops borrow stock from each other. so if you re in A and ask A if got stock, he might call B and arrange with B to buy from B and sell to you. thats why sometimes they need time to call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by SnagIt View Post
    Eh, I wonder how this kind of shop survices? It's like since most people go reputable stores. Like MS color 30% market share, Jonh3 10% market share, Cathay 30% market share ... BnS section 10% market share.

Then when I was looking for bags @ TK photo I saw the guy from the shop which previously solicited me to buy (dunno what brand) 220$ UV filter :. He walked in and talked to TK people about stocks of some items.

So acutally reputable stores get stocks from these blood-sucker shops too?
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

I was looking through the classifieds and saw a pretty neat deal. I contacted the seller and he agreed on the price and the meeting time. When I was on the bus, with cash on hand, going there halfway, the seller smsed me on whether I could up the price due to some issue with the girlfriend and stuff. I was furious and immediately canceled the deal. I mean, we already settled the price issue way before the actual transaction and now you are asking for a raise in price?

Are the forumers here not trustworthy or is it just a stroke of bad luck???
    Was he buying a diamond engagement ring for his GF?

Typically most of the buyers and sellers in CS are

But of coz there are always some jokers around....e.g. keep bargaining on the price, wasting my time and $ to reply PM and SMS.. I mean if really sincere and price is ok, just go for it lar.....if too high, then just continue to look around....willingly buyer willingly seller.... no point keep bargaining when I already say "best" price.....
    Last edited by scramblur11; 16th December 2010 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    example 1:

ask for hoya Pro 1D protector. they show to you, and strike convo with you. you think 'ok, they re friendy, nice people.' then they intro you to product X (eg. vitaCON) and say its better, made in japan, dunno what, blah blah blah. they ll say, its a new product, new technology so its the best and you don't see many ppl using cos its new. then they ll tell you the price is $70, but since yr the first 10 to buy we can give you for $50. the hoya they quote you $55.

so you ll think your getting more for less. n if you re not on the look out you ll kena. the above is a real life example tt happened to me. was very taken in, but still chose the hoya in the end.

example 2:

you ask for ENEL3E. they quote you $70, but say no more stock, only got 3rd party. so you ask how much, they say $30. so seems ok, and you buy. then you walk across the road to simlim tower and the man there selling for $20.

example 3:

you ask for XYZ and they give you a price about 20-30% below market price. then you go WAH! and they bring you into the shop. then they ll try and try and try to intro you to new products. won't actually let you try the one you want. then if you tell them you wan only XYZ, they ll tell you left only display set/no warranty/grey set/. or worse still, they scold you and say you heard him wrongly when he said the first price. the fact is, they cant sell you at the price they quoted you. they only said it so low so they can pull you into the shop and suck out all your money.

also happened to me when i bought my first cam e FZ5. super frustrating...

example 4:

they entertain you and you v happy, then proceed to buy from the counter. only after paying then they say its grey set and got no warranty. but there's nothign you can do about that cos you paid by netts. this one happened to me when i bought my mb d200..

example 5:

they quote you some ridiculous MSRP thats like 2ce the price, then say got student offer so we give you half price. then you go to courts and see the same thing for $150 less.. this was with my tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro.

i kena alot alrd.. imho, it might actually be better on the BS forum.. just be careful and do ALOT of homework before buying =)
    Wow! I'm surprised at the possibilities. I always thought certified retail shops are there and still surviving because they don't rip you off. Now I've realised, . The only place I often do my shopping, is probably NTUC. Lol. I think I'm too protected and innocent. This opened up my eyes to the cruel marketing world in Singapore. Thanks for the insight.

Wow! I'm surprised at the possibilities. I always thought certified retail shops are there and still surviving because they don't rip you off. Now I've realised, . The only place I often do my shopping, is probably NTUC. Lol. I think I'm too protected and innocent. This opened up my eyes to the cruel marketing world in Singapore. Thanks for the insight.
    Sheng Siong cheaper!
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    i kena alot alrd.. imho, it might actually be better on the BS forum.. just be careful and do ALOT of homework before buying =)
    Dude you really kena a lot...

try to stick to the well known shops in the future... like TK, OP, SLRR etc... and still keep eye open when buying from shops your trust.

Blog Entries

It is not just Singapore. It is the World.

I even see this happen in USA too... especially when buying cars or furniture. Compared to USA, buying a car in Singapore is a breeze LOL.

You need to wise up. If not, you cannot survive in this world.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th December 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is not just Singapore. It is the World.

I even see this happen in USA too... especially when buying cars or furniture. Compared to USA, buying a car in Singapore is a breeze LOL.

You need to wise up. If not, you cannot survive in this world.
    Thanks for the advice. I've just learnt a life-long lesson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123