Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Into the Sunset

Default Re: Into the Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I would avoid hdr. Single image Exposure blending or adjustment brush selective exposure boost will work better.
    Isn't that what I mean?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting! Appreciate all the critique that you guys give!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    this sort of thing sometimes can be quite subjective.
    the purpose of having such a crop is to focus on the main leading line and the main element in the photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Hmm... Same feelings here. Sometimes while a shot may be technically right, it just somehow lacks the "feel". The new version at first seems somewhat tilted, due to the lines on the road.
    I strongly disagree with this cropping away of the beach. Without the beach the entire character of the location is lost. This crop just wasted the view totally IMHO.

All you need to crop away are the brighter waves at the lower left corner of the frame of the original picture. Right about the part before where the railing meets the bottom of the frame.
    I get what you guys mean, somehow I can't explain it but I felt I lost a bit of the original feelings that the first picture gave as compared to the cropped version. That was the reason I posted the edited version for comments. In fact, the biggest issue with the cropped version is the lack of the handrails which I feel plays a big part in contributing to the picture in the first version.

I will try cropping less (As what DD123 said, just to the part before the railing meets the bottom of the frame), so that the whole handrail can still be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    I did a visual crop of just your wife and the dogs with a bit of rail, although it looks small it's still ok.

My advice would be to do a few take, like a series starting with close ups of your subject in around the same location, play around with the available settings and light and see what ideas you can develop from there. Also try a one image HDR process to bring up the right a little more and see how that looks.
    Thanks Sam for the suggestions. In the future, I will take more shots so that I can have more freedom in picking the right picture as well as what I can develop on.

I would avoid hdr. Single image Exposure blending or adjustment brush selective exposure boost will work better.
    I will definitely try the adjustment brush selective exposure technique in the next edit.

However, I'm rather confused by what you guys are trying to say about HDR? I always thought HDR is about combining multiple exposures of the same picture to bring out the dynamic range? How then can I do that if I only have one shot to begin with? Apologies in advance if its a newbie question due to my lack of photography knowledge.

Matt
    Last edited by leshrec; 22nd December 2010 at 07:03 AM.
    flickr
    Memories From A Canon EOS 7D

Bro... technical understanding and execution is important. And you have gained that over the months we have been shooting together. But now you need to start feeling the emotional part of photography. Learn to see the feel, the emotion behind every shot. Knowing the rules is important, but sometimes just have to let go of the rules and go with flow. Because, in the end, 'feel' and emotion will trump technical perfection every time.
    Being new to photography, I have only started learning about all the technicalities of this hobby such as composition. Therefore, most of my shots, I'm more concerned about observing stuff such as the one third rule, golden ratio rule, sharpness etc.

However, I did not think of integrating the emotional aspect of it in. More importantly, from this thread and the example of the cropped version, I now know that in the end, its the feeling that the viewer gets when seeing the picture and no matter how "correct" the picture is composed, sometimes the feeling just doesn't get through.

Thanks to all the bros here for teaching me something new. I'm humbled by the experience especially with this being my first post in the critique section. Will post up the edited version tonight.

Matt
    Last edited by leshrec; 22nd December 2010 at 07:10 AM.
    flickr
    Memories From A Canon EOS 7D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Isn't that what I mean?
    I am not sure what you meant, but usually HDR is more synonymous with tone mapping instead of exposure blending nowadays.

I like the concept of your composition which is good. The concept of the handrail leading to your wife and dog which I buy the idea, the impact will be greater if your wife is closer to you with a longer shadow on the ground. The horizontal cropping work for me than the vertical version. Need some pp to bring out the golden color.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12