Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192427282930313439 ... LastLast

Thread: DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Thread XIV

Default Re: DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Thread XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles88 View Post
    All the best man bro! I'm starting work on 3 Jan.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn View Post
    Found a job liao ah? Is the pay alright?
    A little on the low side, but aft probation will be alright.
    Congra! Good to have a job now. at least get some experience first.. after that hop all you want.. ^^
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    Congra! Good to have a job now. at least get some experience first.. after that hop all you want.. ^^
    Dun encourage job hopping too often - you might not get to learn anything much and some missed opportunities...

For me, first job I worked for two years. Due to moving back to SG, I had to end it. Then work 1 year for company until it had to fold, moved on to another and worked for 7 years until I don't see a future in it (valid reasons)... What I'm trying to say is... don't just job hop because of better pay and (unless it's REALLY good and worth it, plus interesting experience)... You job hop too frequently, your CV will leave a bad mark that you can't erase unless you withhold the truth... and it will also affect your future employments.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Dun encourage job hopping too often - you might not get to learn anything much and some missed opportunities...

For me, first job I worked for two years. Due to moving back to SG, I had to end it. Then work 1 year for company until it had to fold, moved on to another and worked for 7 years until I don't see a future in it (valid reasons)... What I'm trying to say is... don't just job hop because of better pay and (unless it's REALLY good and worth it, plus interesting experience)... You job hop too frequently, your CV will leave a bad mark that you can't erase unless you withhold the truth... and it will also affect your future employments.
    As much as i hate to say this... job hop is the only way to have a pay rise above 20% depending on which industry u r in. What i felt was if the company you are in.. does not promote you for after more than 2 years.. and u r still stuck wif the same old position for too long. its better to leave for some other better company. Of course when you job hop make sure you hop to somewhere that you can learn sth and not stuck there wif the same old things again which defeat the purposes of job hop.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    As much as i hate to say this... job hop is the only way to have a pay rise above 20% depending on which industry u r in. What i felt was if the company you are in.. does not promote you for after more than 2 years.. and u r still stuck wif the same old position for too long. its better to leave for some other better company. Of course when you job hop make sure you hop to somewhere that you can learn sth and not stuck there wif the same old things again which defeat the purposes of job hop.
    I didn't say DON'T job hop... just don't do it TOO often, and for meager reasons. Sometimes even if new opportunities offer better pay and etc, etc... better do a bit of research on the new company etc before jumping... sometimes one might find himself/herself on a boat which is sinking (new employers more often would not inform you about it until you're over when you have to find out for yourself)... Sometimes, they rope you over to work on a project that they think will save themselves from sinking... It's a 50-50 risk... Sure... you might get a 20% pay rise... but only for a few months before you're out of job... sickening feeling but it does happen... so THINK really carefully before you jump.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 21st December 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Both of you guys have valid points. I think you're basically in agreement
    There are some companies who are pretty slow in offering promotion opportunities. But they may have other attractive qualities
    My ex-company is one example. Most of the staff are pretty poorly-paid. But yet many have stayed for >15 years. So there must be something about the company which they really liked
    Exploring! :)

I didn't say DON'T job hop... just don't do it TOO often, and for meager reasons. Sometimes even if new opportunities offer better pay and etc, etc... better do a bit of research on the new company etc before jumping... sometimes one might find himself/herself on a boat which is sinking (new employers more often would not inform you about it until you're over when you have to find out for yourself)... Sometimes, they rope you over in order to try to save themselves from sinking...
    bro.. relax relax..

lolx.. erm.. true... no choice la.. haunt around and hear from others see if the company is worth hopping over anot lor.. wad to do.. ^^

yup. I think about 2-3 years hop around, should be pretty alright yeah?

Anyone going shooting next week? Or Christmas day itself? I'm available until 3rd Jan. Wonder how jz's interview went.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

sorry if I change topic totally here.... swinging back to cameras...
    was just reading the Nikon lens compatibility table by Thom Hogan.
    [http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm]
    I'm intrigued by the paragraph
    The original F-mount appeared in 1959, and lenses that were produced from then until about 1979 are usually referred to as Pre-AI. These lenses are dangerous on current Nikon bodies. With the exception of a modified F5 and the D40/D40x, mounting one of these lenses on your new Nikon will result in damage, so don't even try it.

I wonder how come the entry-level bodies are able to mount the pre-AI lenses... is it coz of the AF screw? But that's spring-loaded, so should be no issue.
    hmmmm

Anyone going shooting next week? Or Christmas day itself? I'm available until 3rd Jan. Wonder how jz's interview went.
    now your turn to be dreaming....

JZ's interview on Friday..... FRIDAY...

Quote Originally Posted by jeezuinn
    Friday job interview. hope it goes well

Hahah I am relaxed... just trying to give my viewpoints on things that would come newbies way...

But I am glad... that I've made that mistake once (hopping on a sinking ship)... otherwise, I would'nt be doing what I'm doing now (to think right out of the box)... which I'm happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

Paiseh ah. Last night shag alrdy.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Paiseh ah. Last night shag alrdy.
    Please spare us the details

No hard and fast rule... just do it when you think it is necessary... weight all the pros and cons... Don't follow crowd mentallity... you're the master of your dreams and ambitions.

Hahah I am relaxed... just trying to give my viewpoints on things that would come newbies way...

But I am glad... that I've made that mistake once (hopping on a sinking ship)... otherwise, I would'nt be doing what I'm doing now (to think right out of the box)... which I'm happy with.
    Sometimes it's can be interesting how small things that happened in the past can affect your present so profoundly.

I recently listened to Steve Jobs' speech at the commencement ceremony for Stanford University. Quite profound.

Wow... Christmas EVE... job interview.... If no details, I think it maybe a job about becoming the successor to Santa Claus.... (kidding okay?)
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 21st December 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Please spare us the details
    For me, shag = tired. Not the act/process of procreation.

Sometimes it's can be interesting how small things that happened in the past can affect your present so profoundly.

I recently listened to Steve Jobs' speech at the commencement ceremony for Stanford University. Quite profound.
    Yup... sometimes a storm in the distant may actually reveal a cloud with silver linings...

For me, shag = tired. Not the act/process of procreation.
    I got say procreation meh...?? why so quick to defend?

hahahaha not really macro per se la

I think I need more freedom with regards to the focusing distance.
    Don't wanna be restricted to 0.2-0.25m....
    hmm a proper macro lens can give u more free play.

Quizesilver is right... aim for the highest, you might end up getting it. If not, you'll have plenty of $$$$ left... After that, getting the 11-16mm is sup sup sueh man... AF-S 105mm VR also can!
    that the idea.

@smile, but this is your 1st job try to get one that u like and stay there for 2-3yr
    dun make ur resume look bad.

ok my bad, i nv see and i still add salt...
    Last edited by quizesilver; 21st December 2010 at 01:09 PM.