Thread: Please help a troubled soul with DHCP here...

Unhappy Please help a troubled soul with DHCP here...

Hi all,

Recently I tried to use a wifi adaptor with my wifi router.
    I previously use network cable to connect to the wifi router with no problem at all.
    Using DHCP and auto get IP, auto detect network setting, etc.

After having some problem with it, I tried unplug the wifi adaptor and use back the ntework cable.
    now the cable didnt work either!

Symtom: the connection is enabled, the network status dialog show data packets sent out, but 0 packet is received.
    the details show that I am assigned a IP in different sub-group than the servers.. How come?
    The router is 192.168.1.1, but the IP assigned to my is someting like 169.2xx.xxx.xxx, I tried to ping the router but obviously cant reach.

All my house mates can connect with no prob, cable or wireless. They are assigned the IP 192.168.XXX.XXX.

I tried to use fix IP 192.168.xxx.xxx. Can connect, but internet still cannot browse. Changed back to DHCP,
    the IP again is something very off.

The network card is built in one, which had been working prefectly with the cable until i tried the wifi.
    The wifi adaptor i tried is a dLink one.

Things that I tried
    - reboot the PC(of course), re-set the router
    - reinstall network card driver
    - tried fixed IP, then revert back to DHCP
    - remove all network connection, reboot, re-add
    - remove all network hardware, reboot, re-add
    - tried the "Repair" button(Win XP only?) in the network status dialog, get "Cannot set new IP" message.

Hope to get some help before I resort to reinstalling my PC.... :~(

Deregistered

I believe the cable itself is faulty not your settings. I get that kind of IP you mentioned when I tried to do a renew when there is no LAN connectivity.

Try to do a

ipconfig / release *

then try to plug in the cable and reboot. Hope it works, if it doesn't might be possible your cable is lemon.

In DOS prompt do an ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew and see if this works. Of course using a new cable.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    In DOS prompt do an ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew and see if this works. Of course using a new cable.
    Thanks! Will try immediately when I reached home.