Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When travelling, do you use a tripod bag or place your tripod in your backpack?

Default Re: When travelling, do you use a tripod bag or place your tripod in your backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchanjj View Post
    nm...it's difficult when your gf / family comprises of non-photogs you know...they tend to get impatient and complaining of cold when you are doing a 30 sec exposure
    hee hee, got love must abuse

Default Re: When travelling, do you use a tripod bag or place your tripod in your backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    TS main priorty is to have fun with his GF, enjoy momenta spent together. From my experiences, I walked with my GF down Mong Kok, crowded streets, shopping with my tripod lugged on my backpack... Consequences is you will have backache and very very tired at te end of the day..
    oh, i go mongkok to eat, then after that is go to offshore islands to shoot.

heheh i get my gf to be interested and hooked on to photography. then i carry tripod for a while.
    After some time she wants to use it too so she can carry it.
    in the end we take turns to carry.

I take the fancier FT-6662A? not that heavy. A bit compromise on quality but then does what i want to do.
    I had used both KATA 467 bag or lowepro computrekker to hang the tripod on it no problems.

Also if I travel on my own or if I have to carry the tripod myself, I tend to use the tripod bag to carry only during the flight. once I reach the hotel, i leave the carrier there. I carry the tripod on the back pack when I am out during the day and then hand carry it during the night.

Day less usage
    Night more usage

Also I am not the kind who travel back to hotel area before dinner. usually leave morning and travel all around, reaching back to hotel late at night only to shower and sleep + backup photos. hehehehe

Originally Posted by night86mare
    " why can't a holiday be a shooting trip? "
    nm...it's difficult when your gf / family comprises of non-photogs you know...they tend to get impatient and complaining of cold when you are doing a 30 sec exposure

MC: Exactly !!! No one undertsands why photogs take so long to screw on filters/ change lenses, or do long exposures. Worse, they'll ask you to dump your camera so that u can use the same idiot cameras they have, or worse, shoot with your Handphone !!!
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Originally Posted by night86mare
    " why can't a holiday be a shooting trip? "

MC: Exactly !!! No one undertsands why photogs take so long to screw on filters/ change lenses, or do long exposures. Worse, they'll ask you to dump your camera so that u can use the same idiot cameras they have, or worse, shoot with your Handphone !!!
    I have no such issue with my family. And my wife or brother in law always offer to carry my tripod or camera backpack for me. I guess I am lucky.

@ daredevil123

Yes, indeed you are...
    But some are too Paiseh to allow others to haul heavy stuff on their behalf...

Peace Bro

For me, the tripod is one of the first few items I'll dump into my luggage. I simply cannot trust strangers to take pictures for me. There is a very high chance that the pictures are badly taken. I do carry the tripod even in the day time cos sometimes you may not even return to hotel until late night. Just get a bag with a tripod holder (some tripod holder can be detacted from the bag if you are not using it) and your problem solved.

One thing I must admit is that carrying a tripod, a camera body with some lenses can be pretty tiring. Just be prepared for it.
    D200

Not to mention that it is a HUGE invitation for robbers to come get at you !!!!
    I use an old backpack to disguise the fact that I'm carrying cameras....

And use lots of custom-built-padding on the inside...
    Such bags cost no more than 300 Baht at Chattuchak
    (S$13)

But wouldn't handholding your tripod make it difficult for you to shoot street shots? Especially overseas.

Also what type of filters are recommended for overseas use? Is the basic UV sufficient for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    But wouldn't handholding your tripod make it difficult for you to shoot street shots? Especially overseas.

Also what type of filters are recommended for overseas use? Is the basic UV sufficient for you guys?
    Guess it really depends
    eg in the day if street shots, I just hang or strap the tripod to the sides (dont carry a super big one. eg the FT-6662A was just nice for me)
    then your hands free to shoot normal street shots.
    At night same case.

Filters really depend on what you really want to achieve and how anal one is regarding filters.
    A normal UV for night use perhaps.. A cir-pol for day use + cutting out reflection shots.
    A fader filter for long exposure in the day.

If you know that you are doing a lot of seaside/mountainous sunrise/sunsets then the GND will be suitable. If you love the blue/orange/tobacco looks you will carry those.
    There is no compromise if you want to get a good shot.

There is also one more cons that bothers me when carrying a tripod. Some of the museums in Europe do not allow tripods to be brought in and you have to deposit it at the entrance counter. The worst thing that can happen is that you realise that the exit is at the different side of the museum and you have to walk all the way back to the entrance to collect back the tripod. (Not to mention that some of the museums have got bloody long queues)
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Not to mention that it is a HUGE invitation for robbers to come get at you !!!!
    I use an old backpack to disguise the fact that I'm carrying cameras....

And use lots of custom-built-padding on the inside...
    Such bags cost no more than 300 Baht at Chattuchak
    (S$13)
    in this case use ur tripod to whack those robbers lol , but seriously if u're afraid of the robers might realise u're carrying a DSLR by lugging around ur tripod, it defeats the purpose of bringing a DSLR out in the first place, better go with a PnS instead
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

@wildoang

I carry an umbrella, which doubles as a low monopod, and also against rain, and a slightly-useful self-defense weapon.
    Add a string to it, and you can carabiner it to your ugly backpack. Well, at least my canvass one was deliberately bought because it was looking old ...

I also carry the GF1, which is small and nice to use.
    Here's a pix of my camera:

I find carrying the TT SW pro best suited as I have been travelling quite abit with tripod, filters, flash, and 2 lenses. ultimately each person have to weigh their own preferences. For me, carrying all these is better than losing the opportunity of shooting one good shot..
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

my tripod is quite light and compact to sling together with my sling bang. but i only bring out if i plan to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by scubagolfer View Post
    I find carrying the TT SW pro best suited as I have been travelling quite abit with tripod, filters, flash, and 2 lenses. ultimately each person have to weigh their own preferences. For me, carrying all these is better than losing the opportunity of shooting one good shot..
    D200

It depends on your tripod. If your tripod is carbon fibre, better bring a bag rather than carry it around (it might accidentally get scratched).
    If aluminium, then usually I don't bother much. I will just attach a tripod strap and carry it around.

if your using a PnS, you can use this

For me, I carried my traveller tripod with me all the time, and I was glad I did as there were some instances where they really came in useful. Or make sure you use it if you're going to carry it with you all the time to justify the effort put in

Train yourself to set up your tripod in about 30 secs so even if travelling with non-photographers, they won't complain too much

”When travelling, do you use a tripod bag or place your tripod in your backpack?”

When traveling, I routinely place a tabletop tripod in my backpack because someone once said, “The best tripod is the one you are willing to carry all the time.”

When I need to travel with a bigger tripod, I transport it in one of those nice cases that is sold with folding aluminum armchairs. The armchair case is relative inexpensive and disguises the tripod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast