Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Filters

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    strawberry field
    Posts
    294

    Talking Filters

    Other than the UV filter...which filter would you recommend?

    oh and do all filters come in 72mm?

    *edit* oh i'm using a digital camera la..just in case it matters..heh..

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dotti
    Other than the UV filter...which filter would you recommend?

    oh and do all filters come in 72mm?

    *edit* oh i'm using a digital camera la..just in case it matters..heh..
    there are many filters u can use
    eg:
    - polariser filters to cut off glare from water and other shiny surfaces
    - neutral density filters to block a certain amount of light so that you can slow down the shutter speed or increase the aperture
    - skylight filter to give warmer colours
    - etc etc etc...

    best is to figure out what you want to do then try and find a suitable filter. or learn from the experts (that's what I usually do).

    filters come in various diameters depending on your barrel thread (52mm, 58mm, 67mm etc).

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    strawberry field
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue2
    there are many filters u can use
    eg:
    - polariser filters to cut off glare from water and other shiny surfaces
    - neutral density filters to block a certain amount of light so that you can slow down the shutter speed or increase the aperture
    - skylight filter to give warmer colours
    - etc etc etc...

    best is to figure out what you want to do then try and find a suitable filter. or learn from the experts (that's what I usually do).

    filters come in various diameters depending on your barrel thread (52mm, 58mm, 67mm etc).
    ooo..ok...i though filters are used for fun...

  4. #4

    Default

    well.. filters can be used to get different effects. so in essence in can be fun. but serious photographers use filters to get certain results.

    take a look at the prices of the filters and you will realise it isn't really 'fun'..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    strawberry field
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue2
    well.. filters can be used to get different effects. so in essence in can be fun. but serious photographers use filters to get certain results.

    take a look at the prices of the filters and you will realise it isn't really 'fun'..


  6. #6

    Default

    paiseh... can i butt in and ask a question?
    I'm thinking of getting some filters also, for my D70 with kit lens and a sigma 70-300 APOsupermacroII.
    Would like some recommendations on which ones, where to get and at what price? Circular polarizer, graduating ND and something for infrared effect.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    paiseh... can i butt in and ask a question?
    I'm thinking of getting some filters also, for my D70 with kit lens and a sigma 70-300 APOsupermacroII.
    Would like some recommendations on which ones, where to get and at what price? Circular polarizer, graduating ND and something for infrared effect.
    that's a little out of my league. maybe you would want to read up on the different types of filters first and see what you would need to start off.

    the basic ones would be UV, neutral density and polariser filters. Read up on what they can do and decide if you need them.

    as for pricing, well you can scout around the more popular shops (alan photo, cathay photo, etc) and try and get the best prices. hoya brand is the generally acceptable in terms of price/performance. there are higher end ones like the B&W.

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Default

    If you have Photoshop or something similar, some of the effects you get with something like a Polarizer or ND filter can't (to my knowledge) be added in Photoshop, so its best to have those. The fun filters 'fog, contrast, color correction' can usually be done in Photoshop.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •