Thread: Under Paid ?

Default Under Paid ?

I'm have a friend who is doing wedding photography under some bride shop (cannot be name).
    He told me every assignment (actual day) he do is been paid only $200 bucks
    which i kinda feel is pretty low .. (300 maybe reasonable because of the hours you do)

Anyone care to share the market rate?

I'm personally feel $200 is like "Are you sure?"
    Last edited by Love_sky; 13th December 2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

Default Re: Under Paid ?

Always like that . since dunno how many years ago.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Love_sky View Post
    I'm have a friend who is doing wedding photography under some bride shop (cannot be name).
    He told me every assignment (actual day) he do is been paid only $200 bucks
    which i kinda feel is pretty low .. (300 maybe reasonable because of the hours you do)

Anyone care to share the market rate?

I'm personally feel $200 is like "Are you sure?"
    this is a "Business to Business" rate, $200 is too low for today standard, should be around $300~$350 nowadays.

many lowend photographers still able to do it as there is no post processing involve, just shoot in jpg, download and burn disc. don't even need to shoot in large and fine jpg. cash on delivery when pass the disc to the bridal shops.

no arty farty shots, just all "看镜头,一,二,三,笑" type of shots, will ask for extra charge from customers if they want the photographer to come very early, stay late in the afternoon or after dinner. As such, photographers able to shoot 3 to 4 weddings per week.

usually customers are not very fussy, but when you encounter such expectation, it will make you rethink do you still want to shoot weddings or not. LOUSY wedding photography
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Sure its underpaid, but what to do?

Thank for sharing.

That's make me think carefully when i going to hire a photographer for my wedding in the future
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

underpaid still wanna take it? It's his choice.
    Moreever if he feels his skills are more worth it, then dont take it.

i haven't seen any photos from him, so can't comment.

you can see it as money paid for the value that can be derived from photos, if his shots are OOF, underexposed, blown out... it doesn't matter to me if he spent precious time at the wedding, the shots are worthless. and people only care about the end product, not the process.

that said, if this was indeed the case, he shouldn't be doing wedding photography.

as a decent wedding photographer, you should charge more. if you're not good enough, then you shouldn't take people's once in a lifetime event to xian chou...

Its a pro`s choice to take or dont take. Thing is whether got anything better to do that day other then earn $200 even if its way below the pay scale.
    Last edited by Reportage; 15th December 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.