Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Canon rumours is speculating possible Zeiss zooms for both Canon and Nikon in 2011, plus a possible 135mm prime. Exciting.
    Home is where the heart is.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    very much so. zeiss zooms would add an interesting option
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

  3. #3

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    After the acclaim the ZA zooms and primes got, it wouldn't be surprising.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Love CZ lenses but always too expensive for a me.

    Still love my Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 . Old manual lens but superb quality and built .

  5. #5

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Any idea if these lenses are going to be AF version, like those for Sony Alpha?
    I cant MF well or else already bought the ZE model.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    my guess is that they may be AF. just guessing.
    Gripped A500 kit | Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 | 50 1.8 | Minolta 70-210 4 | HVL-42AM

  7. #7

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Sony has an exclusive deal with Carl Zeiss such that CZ can only make autofocus lenses for Sony Alphas, and not to other systems.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    Sony has an exclusive deal with Carl Zeiss such that CZ can only make autofocus lenses for Sony Alphas, and not to other systems.
    So far, I have yet to see proof of this. Anyway, as I said, this is only speculation. At Photokina, Zeiss did mention that they have more lenses in the pipeline. Some nice zooms like those Contax N will be fine and if possible a 135mmf2 and a 180mmf2 APO, manual focus, will do.
    Home is where the heart is.

  9. #9
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    Sony has an exclusive deal with Carl Zeiss such that CZ can only make autofocus lenses for Sony Alphas, and not to other systems.
    CZ may be damn good at making lenses but quite stupid in business if this is true.

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    So far, I have yet to see proof of this. Anyway, as I said, this is only speculation. At Photokina, Zeiss did mention that they have more lenses in the pipeline. Some nice zooms like those Contax N will be fine and if possible a 135mmf2 and a 180mmf2 APO, manual focus, will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    Sony has an exclusive deal with Carl Zeiss such that CZ can only make autofocus lenses for Sony Alphas, and not to other systems.
    Someone wrote to Zeiss to enquire about only producing AF compatible lenses for certain camera makers
    http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00TQZ7?start=30

    But again of course the statement can be subjected to various interpretations and slants.

    After all Tokinas, Tamrons, Sigmas and some el cheapo 3rd party lenses do make AF-able lenses for Nikon, although intermittently marred by incompatibilities in history that people attribute to flaws of reverse engineering.

    Ryan

    Ryan

  11. #11

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    zooms i doubt so. They have contract with Sony to make exclusive AF lenses for them, hence Sony's competitive advantage in the DSLR market.
    As for longer primes 135mm f/2 I guess is quite likely(maybe improvement over contax 135mm f/2 version). I doubt they will make anything longer than that as it will be very challenging to focus with MF and limited in application.
    Also if you guys notice, the lenses that come out for ZE/ZF and ZA Sony are entirely different designs. Like the 85mm 1.4 ZE/ZF vs ZA, the design is different. So 135 1.8 ZE/ZF is definitely out of equation.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Love CZ lenses but always too expensive for a me.

    Still love my Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 . Old manual lens but superb quality and built .

    Agree. Am still holding on to my CZ manual lens even though bought a EF mount
    converted CZ N Vario Sonnar lens for the 5D. Will still use them periodically with
    the 5D though.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Zeiss zooms and longer primes in ZE & ZF

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDivine View Post
    zooms i doubt so. They have contract with Sony to make exclusive AF lenses for them, hence Sony's competitive advantage in the DSLR market.
    As for longer primes 135mm f/2 I guess is quite likely(maybe improvement over contax 135mm f/2 version). I doubt they will make anything longer than that as it will be very challenging to focus with MF and limited in application.
    Also if you guys notice, the lenses that come out for ZE/ZF and ZA Sony are entirely different designs. Like the 85mm 1.4 ZE/ZF vs ZA, the design is different. So 135 1.8 ZE/ZF is definitely out of equation.
    I use only manual focus lenses, including 200mm and I don't have any problem. Have you tried them extensively?
    Home is where the heart is.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •