Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Organic Food

LostFinder
    Guests

Default Healthy Organic Food

Trying to find Organic foodstuff.. like virgin oil.. seaweed... orange juice.. etc.. Need to stay healthy.. health report shows high cholesterol, high blood and all ... zz time to convert to the organic clan.. haiz

Default Re: Healthy Organic Food

u can find it in Tanglin Mall, wider range of organic products..

wah i tot just avoid meat will do?

Quote Originally Posted by LostFinder View Post
    Trying to find Organic foodstuff.. like virgin oil.. seaweed... orange juice.. etc.. Need to stay healthy.. health report shows high cholesterol, high blood and all ... zz time to convert to the organic clan.. haiz
    there was a recent scientific study that showed that organic food was no healthier than the usual stuff.

the conclusion from the study was that the benefit that they could think of was that you were exposed to less pesticides.

just to highlight, to resolve high cholesterol and high blood pressure, eating organic food, if you still persist in an unhealthy diet and sedentary lifestyle, it will make zero difference.

Soybean products will help like Tofu and fermented beans (in Japan they're called Natto). All offset by the fact that I still need my soy sauce to add some flavour lol :-P
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    wah i tot just avoid meat will do?
    Nope, not at all. Meat can be a very important and halthy part of your diet, providing natural omega fatty acids, CLA, L-carnitine and other proteins.

Soy is not the same - in fact, it can even increase free estrogen in males, which is really unwelcome!!

Avoid deep-fried, fatty meats, aim for lean beef, chicken breast (skinless), fish, etc, and you'll have a much healthier lifestyle.

For breakfast, have a good, high-fibre meal like oatmeal, cornflakes, etc. Drink skim milk.
    Alpha

That soy thing got me thinking and found this:

"Basically, unfermented soy is not a suitable food for regular consumption.

Fermented soy products:
    natto
    miso
    tempeh
    traditional soy sauce

Non-fermented soy products:
    soy milk
    tofu
    modern soy sauce (which is actually mostly wheat!)
    soy oil
    additives to thousands of commercial shelf products

Notice that the non-fermented products are modern inventions and only consumed in huge amounts recently. Also, guess who leads the world in soy consumption: The US. Guess which country has the highest incidences of breast cancer and osteoporosis, despite all the fuss over getting calcium from your milk or soy milk: The US. Hmm."

I don't drink soy milk but I thought Tofu was healthy?!!! What about my soong dobu jiggae?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by LostFinder View Post

Just eat healthily and locally.
    A lot of the products you listed are either already rather organic in general or that they don't make too much difference if they are.
    Many organic produce are not local and harms the environment with all the shipping around and availability of them even when they are not in season.

High cholesterol, high blood and all. Means eating less and eating right. Eating too much 'organic' oil, sugar, salt dosen't help either.

Blog Entries

1st step is to avoid fried stuff, especially cooked in palm oil as it has the highest levels of bad cholesterol
    then slowly replace the high cholesterol stuff with alternatives

which means, no laksa, no nasi lemak and no chendol, the coconut milk is also bad
    internal organs/prawns/sotong/crab also out

what you should eat
    chicken without skin
    fish, best is oily fish (eg, sardines/salmon/cod ... ...)
    beans to replace some meat, eg if you are having a meat dish, you could replace some of the meat with beans, so half meat and half beans
    wholemeal stuff is also good
    roasted nuts is a good snack (no salt)

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    1st step is to avoid fried stuff, especially cooked in palm oil as it has the highest levels of bad cholesterol
    then slowly replace the high cholesterol stuff with alternatives

which means, no laksa, no nasi lemak and no chendol, the coconut milk is also bad
    internal organs/prawns/sotong/crab also out

what you should eat
    chicken without skin
    fish, best is oily fish (eg, sardines/salmon/cod ... ...)
    beans to replace some meat, eg if you are having a meat dish, you could replace some of the meat with beans, so half meat and half beans
    wholemeal stuff is also good
    roasted nuts is a good snack (no salt)
    Dammit there goes half the neighbourhood
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

I also need to reduce spare Tyre .
    About 1 year ago doc already ask me to lose some weight, out of sight out of mind .
    5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

same thing here, high cholesterol.

now avoiding fast food like the plague. eating fruits and veggies more, less meat, but not avoiding, still need the fat and protein - just not as much. exercise more. drink - water that is, no more soda for me, hell even milk is not part of my diet anymore (but that is for other reasons).

when all else fails, eat all that's bad for you. you won't grow old, you die young.
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    For breakfast, have a good, high-fibre meal like oatmeal, cornflakes, etc. Drink skim milk.
    just to highlight, cornflakes are not high in fibre.

Yeah, most advices given by fellow members here are sound. Had access to nutritionist and all (yah, was told of high cholestrol and occasional high blood pressure), at my age, it is a concern.

Was told the METHODs of preparing your food is important. You can have a really and supposedly healthy food but when you throw them into the deep fryer.. there goes everything. White meat are generally better (chicken-no skin, oily fish) then red meat. Just don't fry them, oily fish don't even need oil on the pan!

Cut those fried/oily stuffs. Serious, i threw them out from my diet (ok, maybe there's 5% of time when i do give in a bit), and coupled with exercise, i managed cut 4-6kg in 2months (now to have another health check soon for those levels).

Choose unpolished rice instead of white ones, cut your portion of food on your plate. Use a smaller plate, eat slowerrrrr. Drink lots of water. Ok this seemed to be more for those who wants to cut their weight.

To bring your cholestrol down, increase your fibre intake. 2 or more servings of veg + fruits (2+2) per day, oat, wholemeal, (instead of white), etc.

Eat like a King during breakfast, a prince during lunch and a pauper during dinner.

Stay healthly! (cholestrol always reminds me of a clogged artery with those fatty/yellowish gooey stuffs stuck on them.. ok, sorry for being too graphic).
    Licence to shoot.

Blog Entries

one more thing

no more egg yokes, egg whites are ok
    so far i have lost 13kgs since i changed my eating habits

btw even if you eat everything right
    smoking will result in all your efforts going down the drain
    i stopped smoking too

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    one more thing

no more egg yokes, egg whites are ok
    so far i have lost 13kgs since i changed my eating habits

btw even if you eat everything right
    smoking will result in all your efforts going down the drain
    i stopped smoking too
    sure you diet, maybe i can also reduce 13kg for my perfect weight.
    5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

there no need to go organic at all

u can start simple things like convert all your simple carbos to complex carbos like;
    white rice to brown rice
    white bread to whole meal bread
    skip all flour related food

u can get
    st. dalfours 100% fruit spread - blueberry FTW
    Adams 100% natural peanut butter
    Florida's natural Orange / Grape Juice
    Post cereals for breakfast
    u can find all these at Bigger NTUC

zero softdrinks, chocolate and icecream

consume fruits with low GI or Glycemic Index; like apples, citrus and berries - this lower cholesterol
    add in handful of baked / roasted nuts per day - healthy fats
    take some fishoil supplement as well
    drink lots of water and sleep well

diet is temporary
    lifestyle is permanent
    Last edited by soeypixels; 14th December 2010 at 05:49 PM.

LostFinder
    Guests

I heard that Favor Pte ltd @ Concorde Shopping Center level 2 is a good place for organic stuff.... they sell loads of organic stuff at cheap price..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there was a recent scientific study that showed that organic food was no healthier than the usual stuff.

the conclusion from the study was that the benefit that they could think of was that you were exposed to less pesticides.
    i read it somewhere too

so i said there no need to go organic at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast