Thread: Is warranty important for camera bodies?

Default Is warranty important for camera bodies?

I've been looking through many camera deals and most cheap camera deals I find in CS's classified section have either a lost warranty or none at all. My father is really concerned about warranty but is it that important?

Default Re: Is warranty important for camera bodies?

not if u r super rich.

cameras aren't cheap.
    specially DSLRs. and not all of them are created equal as well. you cannot dismiss factory defects and user carelessness in handling delicate equipment. so yeah, if money is no object, forget warranty.
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Quote Originally Posted by megain View Post
    I've been looking through many camera deals and most cheap camera deals I find in CS's classified section have either a lost warranty or none at all. My father is really concerned about warranty but is it that important?
    how i always look at it is like this:

no warranty cost 400
    with warranty cost maybe 600-700

one time repair maybe 100+
    old goods higher chance to repair too
    warranty or no warranty? your choice. for me its yes for important item like bodies and lenses.
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

Thanks for the replies. Will take note about warranty in future.

it's important if your camera has problems.

it's not if your camera has no problems.

the warranty is essentially insurance for the situation where your camera might have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

the warranty is essentially insurance for the situation where your camera might have problems.
    I'd amend that to "short-term insurance"... Things always only go wrong *after* the warranty is over!!
    Alpha

Beyond what the guys have said, if you are buying 2nd hand, do look out for tell-tale signs like claims bodies/lenses are under warranty but do not have receipt to proof. Item is registered online (screen shot provided) etc etc.

Nikon for one requires the receipt to verify date of purchase. For Canon, there are differing feedbacks where Canon only checks their database if registered online while some will need the receipt. I went to Canon twice to service my body and an ixus. Both times they asked for the receipt although they were registered online.

In all fairness, most 2nd hand items I have bought from are friendly and honest members while some are less desirable. Just be careful when buying 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

So if there is nothing wrong with the camera, it is okay to buy without warranty?

"Yes" - for the peace of mind...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

So if there is nothing wrong with the camera, it is okay to buy without warranty?
    how do u know there is nothing wrong with the camera? we are not talking about grey sets here (new cameras without warranty) but used cameras.

depends what you intend to do. if you are the type to do "safe" photography then no warranty might be okay for you. For what i do like outdoor sports be it wet or dry, pretty useful to have extended local warranty from distributor.

if buying 2nd hand and the person gives 1 week warranty, try and find out the service history of the camera from the service center.
    Last edited by Reportage; 13th December 2010 at 12:50 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

you can tell whether something will go wrong with the camera during the warranty period?

please give me toto number.... i will buy a camera for you with warranty if i win.