Thread: Manual vs Aperture/Shutter priority

Default Manual vs Aperture/Shutter priority

Hi guys, i am not really a fan of using the aperture/shutter priority modes on my P7000. Reason being is because the exposure do not seem to be always optimal, sometimes good, sometimes underexposed etc.

That's why i prefer using manual mode and do my own settings. However, i am gonna take some shots during my friend's wedding. And i believe that i may not have the luxury of time to be adjusting my settings since everything will be moving and hence i may lose some great shots while adjusting my settings.

To those to does wedding shots, is it advisable to just take pictures using shutter priority mode? and adjust the exposure during post-editing if the exposures do go bad? Or is it my 'personal problem' that i need to train to set my manual mode settings faster?

Any advice?
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

Default Re: Manual vs Aperture/Shutter priority

Go to the place earlier and find out the different settings for the different places, then take note of the settings so you can adapt to the environment more quicker

I think your issue is more with the metering, try to set your camera metering to spot/partial. Aim your camera direct to the object lock the reading, re-compose and shoot.

Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    I think your issue is more with the metering, try to set your camera metering to spot/partial. Aim your camera direct to the object lock the reading, re-compose and shoot.

i agree with silverpine
    spot meter on the bride's/groom's face during the wedding (since its the most important) and the exposure shouldn't be too off

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    Hi guys, i am not really a fan of using the aperture/shutter priority modes on my P7000. Reason being is because the exposure do not seem to be always optimal, sometimes good, sometimes underexposed etc.
    Typical metering issue. Read up about the different metering types, check which ones your camera is using / offering. Then select the right one.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchanjj View Post
    i agree with silverpine
    spot meter on the bride's/groom's face during the wedding (since its the most important) and the exposure shouldn't be too off
    Focus on the bride. More importantly focus on the bride's dress. Everyone wants to see the dress.

Btw, wedding photography is damn hard. Are you doing this professionally? Does your friend have a pro covering the event?
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    Focus on the bride. More importantly focus on the bride's dress. Everyone wants to see the dress.

Btw, wedding photography is damn hard. Are you doing this professionally? Does your friend have a pro covering the event?
    I am definitely not doing this professionally haha (how i wish...). My friend already has a pro covering the event, while i asked if it is okay for me to tag along and practice/help him with taking the photos for his wedding as well. Of course, i assured him that i would not be obstructing his main photographer while he takes his shots

Really excited about it hahaha first time doing such a thing. Any tips for doing wedding shoots? Some of the 'must take' shots? Like to heels and dress as pointed out by you guys?
    [Chasing the Light]

Really excited about it hahaha first time doing such a thing. Any tips for doing wedding shoots? Some of the 'must take' shots? Like to heels and dress as pointed out by you guys?
    The 'must take' shots are the job of the hired guy. That's what he gets paid for. Focus on the little lovely scenes left and right. Plenty of opportunities. One thing that works for me: when everybody is looking into one direction just turn around, face the crowd. Lovely moments to capture
    Last edited by Octarine; 14th December 2010 at 09:56 AM.
    EOS

agree with Octarine...

Any tips for doing wedding shoots? Some of the 'must take' shots? Like to heels and dress as pointed out by you guys?
    why not photograph the groomsmen and bridesmaids, as well as the parents? Also any cute children that are dressed up smartly...
    Exploring! :)

That's why i prefer using manual mode and do my own settings. However, i am gonna take some shots during my friend's wedding. And i believe that i may not have the luxury of time to be adjusting my settings since everything will be moving and hence i may lose some great shots while adjusting my settings.

To those to does wedding shots, is it advisable to just take pictures using shutter priority mode? and adjust the exposure during post-editing if the exposures do go bad? Or is it my 'personal problem' that i need to train to set my manual mode settings faster?

Any advice?
    The main idea is to understand your camera and how the metering system works. Each of the mode is there for you to use accordingly and frankly, what works for one may not work for another.

Personally I choose A priority most of the time and unless I have pre-metered the scene and needed a different effect from the metered values, I rarely use M mode. You could also utilise the exposure compensation to get the same results if the difference is not more than 2-3 stops (depending on camera)

And since you are shooting as a second shooter, I'd say have fun and shoot different subjects. Let the main do his/her job and you can get all the other shots which he/she may miss shooting.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    The main idea is to understand your camera and how the metering system works. Each of the mode is there for you to use accordingly and frankly, what works for one may not work for another.

Personally I choose A priority most of the time and unless I have pre-metered the scene and needed a different effect from the metered values, I rarely use M mode. You could also utilise the exposure compensation to get the same results if the difference is not more than 2-3 stops (depending on camera)

And since you are shooting as a second shooter, I'd say have fun and shoot different subjects. Let the main do his/her job and you can get all the other shots which he/she may miss shooting.
    ts. they have already mentioned why your exposure sometimes good and sometimes not. Try google for "camera metering" and "camera metering system"

Photographing in a dynamic situation like a wedding, P mode might be better so that you can focus on getting the composition and the moment.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Thx guys for the tips and advice! =)
    [Chasing the Light]