Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Studios that do not give soft-copy

  1. #1

    Default Studios that do not give soft-copy

    I went to Raffles Studio for family portraits shooting. As usual, they do not sell soft-copies of the photos regardless of the price you often. Is it still a common practice for such well-known studio?

    Do people still go to such studio where they only specialise in doing canvas printing only?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by sgboy83 View Post
    I went to Raffles Studio for family portraits shooting. As usual, they do not sell soft-copies of the photos regardless of the price you often. Is it still a common practice for such well-known studio?

    Do people still go to such studio where they only specialise in doing canvas printing only?
    "Regardless of the price you offer", sure or not?
    You offer him S$1million to buy the soft copy, you see whether he want to sell you.
    If he is a businessman, no reason he won't sell.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Ask for softcopies before you take up the service . . . i got all my softcopies when taken in studio . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    If you are a studio/professional photographer and you want to be profitable, you will usually NOT give the softcopies. Otherwise, the customer will always only get the cheapest package then print your work 1000x at the Harvey Norman photolabs.

    The photograph is the photographer's work, his art and effort.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by sgboy83 View Post
    I went to Raffles Studio for family portraits shooting. As usual, they do not sell soft-copies of the photos regardless of the price you often. Is it still a common practice for such well-known studio?

    Do people still go to such studio where they only specialise in doing canvas printing only?
    Apparently, it's the 'usual' practice among many studios.

    Like what member SHoo8 mentioned, if you offered an exorbitant amount of cash for one soft copy, any business man would take up the offer. It just depends on whether the potential profits outweigh releasing the soft copy and vice-versa.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th December 2010 at 01:24 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Apparently, it's the 'usual' practice among many studios.

    Like what member SHoo8 mentioned, if you offered an exorbitant amount of cash for one soft copy, any business man would take up the offer. It just depends on whether the potential profits outweigh releasing the soft copy and vice-versa.

    Cheers!
    Well said , I totally agreed.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    I agree with what all of you mentioned. However it just make no sense to offer amount such as one stated - million dollar for a soft copy.

    I second this 'The photograph is the photographer's work, his art and effort.'....

    I can simply go to a studio with soft copies given but just trying to find out how many studios in Singapore don't sell soft copies..... Raffles Studio is just being one of them..... But I can say the it qualities is good.... Especially with the final product.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by sgboy83 View Post
    I agree with what all of you mentioned. However it just make no sense to offer amount such as one stated - million dollar for a soft copy.

    I second this 'The photograph is the photographer's work, his art and effort.'....

    I can simply go to a studio with soft copies given but just trying to find out how many studios in Singapore don't sell soft copies..... Raffles Studio is just being one of them..... But I can say the it qualities is good.... Especially with the final product.
    I bellieve Shoo8 stated million dollar for a soft copy is just an example only, it can be even more because you mentioned "regardless of the price you offer". So what's the highest price you offer?

    I agree this 'The photograph is the photographer's work, his art and effort.'.... . However, he will still sell it if the price is right and if he is a business man even though is his work, art & effort. Unless this picture is for his own personal keepsake only. For example, his wife picture in nude, etc... Then maybe it is priceless.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    actually giving hi resolution jpg is risky for the pg.. what if the customer go to a printer without color management and print some lousy prints? who will the customer blame? he will say the pg did a bad job.

    once a pg gives up softcopy , he lost the control.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    actually giving hi resolution jpg is risky for the pg.. what if the customer go to a printer without color management and print some lousy prints? who will the customer blame? he will say the pg did a bad job.

    once a pg gives up softcopy , he lost the control.
    You don't give softcopy to your client who engage you for :

    • Bridal (pre wedding)
    • portraits
    • Events



  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    actually giving hi resolution jpg is risky for the pg.. what if the customer go to a printer without color management and print some lousy prints? who will the customer blame? he will say the pg did a bad job.

    once a pg gives up softcopy , he lost the control.
    yes, all along photographers oversee the whole process, from creation to finish product.
    to let customers handle the last part and also the most important part, it may compromise the whole creation because of the inferior final products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    You don't give softcopy to your client who engage you for :

    • Bridal (pre wedding)
    • portraits
    • Events


    usually only after photographers had delivered the hardcopy, and the packages do inclusive the softcopy, or customers have purchase over certain amount of money above the original package, then photographers will only release the softcopy.

    I won't release any (high res) softcopy, unless is included in the package which I offered or customers opt to purchase. and will only release upon closing of the job.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    from the POV of the customers who want have portraiture done, what they really want is something physical to display their portrait, the only sensible choice is let the portrait studio take care of everything.

    if they need some additional prints or any replacement, to ensure the best quality is still just go back to the studio let them take care of it. For such customers, they do appreciate high quality products and services, and willing to pay a premium for it.

    On the other hand, I notice for some people who only want the softcopy to print on their own, they may use the cheapest mean to print it so that they can print every single photos from the session, or upload all the photos into their blog, facebook etc.. usually they won't go to portrait studio, they will find any photographers who able to offer them softcopy at the lowest cost.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    its one thing to oversee the whole process till the end...its another thing if the soft copies get misplaced, corrupted...lost and so on which is why a lot of the more IT saavy couples would request the soft copy "Just in Case". But then if such cases usually do happen, thats why i recommended anyone who asks me to take their wedding photo to go to the larger studios because of liability. Supposing anything happen, they can re-arrange another shoot easily.

    Saving money is good but when it comes with added risks, not a good idea especially if its your own wedding.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Studios that do not give soft-copy

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    You don't give softcopy to your client who engage you for :

    • Bridal (pre wedding)
    • portraits
    • Events


    sorry for the late reply. i didn't subscribe to threads i post by default. so i won't know who replied.

    Of course i give give soft copies, but usually not the hi res.

    Like what Ben has said, it is better for the studio to control the print.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •