Thread: Problems with Aperture3 and Raw formats

Default Problems with Aperture3 and Raw formats

Hi guys, i am new to photography and bought myself a Nikon Coolpix P7000 (yea it is only a point-and-shoot but very fun to play with). I have been reading up on certain photography articles and found that it is a good 'practice' to take shots in Raw format. Reason being, they can be post edited easier ie. Changing the white balance of the picture.

So i went to take some pictures in Raw (NRW) format and when i happily brought them home and uploaded them into my Aperture3 program. They can not be open!??!! All my pictures turned black with a sentence in silver stating: "Unsupported Image Format". Do users of Photoshop CS5 experience this as well? Is it possible to convert my pictures into JPEG and load it back up on Aperture3?

Actually the first few shots that i took with my camera were in JPEG format and they are able to be post edited fine. White balances and all the other special 'effects' that Aperture3 has could be used on my JPEG format photos. So why do they say that JPEG format photos can not be post edited and only Raw images can?
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

Default Re: Problems with Aperture3 and Raw formats

Check this out: Aperture 3 supported cameras list

P7000 is not listed but not sure if this is the most updated tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    So why do they say that JPEG format photos can not be post edited and only Raw images can?
    Nobody said JPEG cannot be post-processed. But you are VERY limited compared to RAW. In JPEG, changing the "white balance" is mainly changing hue and tint. In RAW, you are actually changing the white balance - there's no destructive effect on the pixels.

That's just one example.
    Alpha

Oh~ Thanks guys! I am going to use my friend's wedding as a chance to practice my photography skills and today when i chanced upon this Raw image problem.. i totally felt 'helpless' ha.. But it is good to know that the Raw image converter for Aperture3 will eventually be out, just a matter of time. And that taking photos in JPEG formats ain't that bad afterall
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

Check Adobe Camera RAW and convert to DNG if ACR supports your camera already. DNG is RAW in a camera neutral container format. Can be opened by many processing tools.
    EOS