Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About Netbooks ...

Default Re: About Netbooks ...

Using a MSIWind with 2GB ram and Atom processor and 5hr+ batt life.
    Works well using Ubuntu 10.04.
    Comes preloaded with Open Office.
    Powerful enough to run Picasa, though I usually only use it as a portable player, reader and internet browser.

I find netbook too slow. If you reallly want to get an ultraportable, get a macbook air 11". Its CPU is much faster than Atom.
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    I find netbook too slow. If you reallly want to get an ultraportable, get a macbook air 11". Its CPU is much faster than Atom.
    It isn't really a humongous difference, and the lowest end mac air in vrz costs 5-6x more than the highest end netbook there...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Hi people, currently in the market looking for one. I realise since I only need it mainly to surf the net, check emails and work on MS Office related stuff, I think I don't the the raw power of a notebook ...

Currently looking at Asus Eee PC 1015PEM and Lenovo IdeaPadô S10-3; are they good choices and any user feedback?

Where's a good place it?

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!
    Adam, what are the price difference between Asus Eee PC 1015PEM and Lenovo IdeaPadô S10-3?

Since your requirement are surf the net, check emails and work on MS Office related stuff, netbook should be able to meet your requirement. I own an Acer netbook, bought for more than a year, I used to bring it for overseas trip since it is small and light. I went for Acer becos the price then is cheaper than other models and the battery can last something like 8 hrs.

I guess Funan is still a good place to start checking the price.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    It isn't really a humongous difference, and the lowest end mac air in vrz costs 5-6x more than the highest end netbook there...
    Are you sure not humongous difference? Try playing Facebook Flash games.

Edit: Also MacBook Air is using SSD, it boots up very fast, less than 15sec can boot up liao
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Thanks people for the input ... got an Ideapad U165 over the weekend. Chose it because of it's slightly larger screen and it uses a separate GPU as compared to those using N450/N550 ... though not cheapest around (urgh, should have thought of this during the last IT Fair) ...

For me I guess I don't want to spend on a full-featured notebook ... by the way, disassembled it within hours buying it and replaced the 1GB ram with 2X2GB!

Now I have a netbook for my Taiwan trip this weekend! Woo hoo!
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 14th December 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks people for the input ... got an Ideapad U165 over the weekend. Chose it because of it's slightly larger screen and it uses a separate GPU as compared to those using N450/N550 CPUs ... though not cheapest around (urgh, should have thought of this during the last IT Fair) ...

For me I guess I don't want to spend on a full-featured notebook ... by the way, disassembled it within hour I bought it and replaced the 1GB ram to 4 GB!

Now I have a netbook for my Taiwan trip this weekend! Woo hoo!

Congrats! Is it running XP or Windows 7?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Windows 7 ... and it looks neater than Vista; this is my first using a Windows 7-based computer ... still running Vista for my desktop which I hope to change the OS once I upgrade to a new on come Jan 2011 ...

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Congrats! Is it running XP or Windows 7?

For me I guess I don't want to spend on a full-featured notebook ... by the way, disassembled it within hours buying it and replaced the 1GB ram with 2X2GB!
    don't mind if i ask how you upgrade your ram ?
    DIY ?

Yup ... before that I'd check out related youtube videos as well as the manual ... in addition, I've been assembling and upgrading my desktop PCs for more than a decade so I guess the upgrading a notebook is not that different ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    don't mind if i ask how you upgrade your ram ?
    DIY ?

Hi Adam hope you had fun at taiwan.

hope you can post some comments/brief review on the lenovo U165 as i am thinking of getting it too, the 11.6 inch screen looks pretty nice If you could comment on the speed/whether it heats up/reliability and general use that wld be great!
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

I run LR and CS5 on my Acer netbook, it's ok.. No issues..

I believe that sometimes we just need to be more patient.. Fast netbooks/laptops/desktops today will be relatively slow if we compare to models from years to come, and our expectation will be always higher than that of the current technology..

Compare our so-called slow netbook now with high performance laptops from 5 years ago..
    I believe the netbook is fast, right?

We will always be unsatisfied with what we have now, that's why all these technologies seem to be slow/unsatisfactory/incompetent..

Quote Originally Posted by sayjaibow View Post
    I think this Dell Inspiron Duo netbook/tablet is cool.

http://content.dell.com/sg/en/corp/d...piron-duo.aspx
    Ohoho, this is awesome design! I like the design a lot!
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Are you sure not humongous difference? Try playing Facebook Flash games.

Edit: Also MacBook Air is using SSD, it boots up very fast, less than 15sec can boot up liao
    That's the joy of hacking: allowing you to get what the manufacturer not want you to have... I installed intel turbo memory(16gb) into my netbook on top of the 2gb ram, and a 64gb minipcie(sata) SSD on top of the 320gb hdd on my benq 11.6" netbook. The only problem is, I needed to do a little bit of case modding...

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    I run LR and CS5 on my Acer netbook, it's ok.. No issues..

I believe that sometimes we just need to be more patient.. Fast netbooks/laptops/desktops today will be relatively slow if we compare to models from years to come, and our expectation will be always higher than that of the current technology..

Compare our so-called slow netbook now with high performance laptops from 5 years ago..
    I believe the netbook is fast, right?

We will always be unsatisfied with what we have now, that's why all these technologies seem to be slow/unsatisfactory/incompetent..

Ohoho, this is awesome design! I like the design a lot!
    Btw, converting my netbook into a tablet pc will be my next big ptoject...

Oh yeah, my souped up netbook boots up windows in 3 secs but finished bios in 30 secs...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12