Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a amateur camera

Default Re: Looking for a amateur camera

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You cannot base everything off of the SnR ratios you see on DXOMark. Remember, the way each manufacturer handles the noise differs as well. Yes, believe it or not, there's more out there than just DXOMark SnR numbers. I know it's a shock that people actually can take pictures rather than relying on one website's circuit-level numbers. You can see actual comparison images on sites like DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page16.asp

Also, consider that different manufacturers treat noise differently, and different RAW converters treat cameras differently and process images differently.

The older-generation sony sensor in the D5000 (based on the A500 sensor) is noisier than the newer-generation CMOS in the A55.

FYI, your link compared the A33. If you compared the A55, it's a different story.

I never put down cameras without justification. If you think that, you don't know me, or are just a nikon fanboi.
    Your initial post said the ISO noise of A33 was better than the D5000. That was what I objected to. Don't know about the A55.
    Last edited by fmeeran; 14th December 2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    Your initial post said the ISO noise of A33 was better than the D5000. That was what I objected to. Don't know about the A55.
    In my testing, the A33 is cleaner at High ISO than the D5000 as well. Though like I said, there are many factors to consider, including the conversion software used.

My main point though was that the salesman made it sound like the D5000 would not be noisy at High ISO - clearly a lie.
    Alpha

In my testing, the A33 is cleaner at High ISO than the D5000 as well. Though like I said, there are many factors to consider, including the conversion software used.

My main point though was that the salesman made it sound like the D5000 would not be noisy at High ISO - clearly a lie.
    Very true. Figured some time back to never go by what the salesman says. They sell whatever gives them a better commission.

I probably would have gone Alpha if not for my friends having Nikon (good source of lenses i don't have ).

Wish the lenses and bodies were standardized format so you could use all lenses with all bodies. As long as I'm dreaming, I'll take a ferrari with that.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

I'm not really new to photography. Have been using compact cameras, camera phones and prosumer cameras. so i thought i'll jump on the bandwagon of dslr.

Rashkae bro, i don't need to attract girls la.. got a steady girlfriend of 7 years. oh.. 7 years itch is it? lol =P

Blog Entries

It is kind of funny sometimes to see fanboys going at it....
    especially when the pots start to call the kettles black...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th December 2010 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-sama View Post
    if i may ask, why will a newbie want jump straight into a DSLR for starting gear?

I made that same mistake when I jumped right into photography with the Samsung NX10 EVIL...and ended up not being able to utlize its capabilities properly. Now, I take most of my photographs with a Fujifilm HS10 superzoom bridge camera instead of the NX10, which has been relegated for use only in event photography. -.-;;
    and how, may I ask, do your event photos turn out?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    I'm not really new to photography. Have been using compact cameras, camera phones and prosumer cameras. so i thought i'll jump on the bandwagon of dslr.

Rashkae bro, i don't need to attract girls la.. got a steady girlfriend of 7 years. oh.. 7 years itch is it? lol =P
    after all the posts, have you narrowed down your shortlist, or still fishing for more opinions...? coz the way I see it, this thread is going the way that most "what camera should I get?" threads usually go, once at least 2 'opposing camps' start going at it hammer and tongs...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    and how, may I ask, do your event photos turn out?
    Not nice at all, to be honest. Still got a lot of learning and experimenting to do.

But the NX10's biggest asset is its blazing-fast contrast-detect AF, which is almost as fast as the phase-detect on some DSLRs. That's why it got relegated to event photography.

But I'm going OT here.

yup.. i have decided on the A-33

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post

Haha! Was not referring to you, more to the general trend of every secondary/poly kid out there having a DSLR nowadays.
    Alpha

You cannot base everything off of the SnR ratios you see on DXOMark. Remember, the way each manufacturer handles the noise differs as well. Yes, believe it or not, there's more out there than just DXOMark SnR numbers. I know it's a shock that people actually can take pictures rather than relying on one website's circuit-level numbers. You can see actual comparison images on sites like DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page16.asp

Also, consider that different manufacturers treat noise differently, and different RAW converters treat cameras differently and process images differently.

The older-generation sony sensor in the D5000 (based on the A500 sensor) is noisier than the newer-generation CMOS in the A55.

FYI, your link compared the A33. If you compared the A55, it's a different story.

I never put down cameras without justification. If you think that, you don't know me, or are just a nikon fanboi.
    I realise that you been hard selling Sony brand in every other newbie thread.....maybe Sony is really the best, but you should spend more time practicing your skills instead of doing sale here.

Let don't talk about pro.....some photo link of our CS members

Very good image from Very good Sony camera
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rashkae

Not very good image from Nikon camera
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanleong23/

Mmm....Canon....oh ya...I'm not Canon fanboy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulfly7/

Olympus 4/3 systems.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanlee/

Expensive Leica camera
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewtansj/

Pentax camera....mmm...ok lah...lol
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/night86mare/

So how......??????

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    I realise that you been hard selling Sony brand in every other newbie thread.....maybe Sony is really the best, but you should spend more time practicing your skills instead of doing sale here.
    1. I don't sell anything except my photos.
    2. My skills are fine and growing, thank you. FYI, most of the pictures in that flickr link are over 2 years old, and were taken with a Point and shoot. Very few were shot with a DSLR. Also, that's my travel/casual snapshot blog. So if you think that's representative of a photog, you need a lot more help.
    3. Hard selling? No. But given a fixed budget, why waste money on a camera that gives you less compared to others? FYI, I also recommend Pentax.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 14th December 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Alpha

aiyo.. guys.. come on.. don't fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-sama View Post
    Not nice at all, to be honest. Still got a lot of learning and experimenting to do.

But the NX10's biggest asset is its blazing-fast contrast-detect AF, which is almost as fast as the phase-detect on some DSLRs. That's why it got relegated to event photography.

But I'm going OT here.
    I've not had any hands-on experience with this camera, but I've heard good things (maybe biased ) from friends and some fellow CSers.

Anyway my thinking is that if you're serious about wanting to shoot better with this camera, all the more you should spend more time using it, instead of relegating it to part-time usage. With the right fundamentals, you will most definitely be able to shoot decent (I dare not say fantastic) photos.
    Exploring! :)

Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Very good image from Very good Sony camera
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rashkae

Not very good image from Nikon camera
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanleong23/

Mmm....Canon....oh ya...I'm not Canon fanboy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulfly7/

Olympus 4/3 systems.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanlee/

Expensive Leica camera
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewtansj/

Pentax camera....mmm...ok lah...lol
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/night86mare/

So how......??????
    bro leong... ya i think ur photo not very good but alpha one gd ah

Quote Originally Posted by quizesilver View Post

bro leong... ya i think ur photo not very good but alpha one gd ah
    No problem, nowadays it is ok to insult people photos, but never try to insult the brand they worship.

Hello all, I'm getting toothpaste for the first time and i don't know which to get.

Can anyone enlighten me which of the below toothpaste should I get?
    - Darlie
    - Colgate
    - Crest
    - Sensodyne

Any users of toothpaste willing to give me the pros and cons?

Thanks loads in advance =)

My fav toothpaste is the Himalaya brand. So far amongst all the ones that I've tried, I would rate this one as the highest in terms of strength (minty flavor). But it appears that Watsons has stopped selling it (gotta find it in other shops) so I settled for the Dentiste nighttime toothpaste.

its just a !@#$% tool. just pick the one that you are more satisfied with in features and then buy it. it doesnt mean you get one brand of camera your photos will have that brand! given that all cameras pretty much use the same technology in their sensors, i dont see how much it can differ. just my honest opinion.
    Gripped A500 kit | Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 | 50 1.8 | Minolta 70-210 4 | HVL-42AM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast