Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: How to take moving subject with background blur

  1. #1

    Default How to take moving subject with background blur

    Hi,

    Need some advice for this. May i know how to take moving subjects, e.g. running children, so the the end result shall be a clear subject with a blur background. I have tried different settings but still could not achieve the desired effect. Thanks!


  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    will try shooting
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Thanks!. Simply Great Video!

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by evomclaren View Post
    I have tried different settings but still could not achieve the desired effect.
    What are these settings? You know .. it's a photographer's forum, not mind-reader's summit here
    EOS

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    generally shutter speed is between 1/10 to 1/60s depending on the speed of the moving object and how much you want to accentuate the movement.
    Last edited by coolthought; 12th December 2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  7. #7
    Member shunkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Somewhere Out There ; Punggol
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Here's a video you can watch ^^
    came across this page introduced by fellow members, when i ask some questions to them
    hope it helps.

    http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/Ho...on_photo.shtml
    SonyA290 User

  8. #8
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    High FPS cameras take a huge part in the success rate as well... It is not a one-shot-one-kill kind of shooting... There will be a lot wastage where you take the "winning shot" out of the lot...

    It is not impossible with the Low FPS body... but you've to be pretty skilled and lucky...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 12th December 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    High FPS cameras take a huge part in the success rate as well... It is not a one-shot-one-kill kind of shooting... There will be a lot wastage where you take the "winning shot" out of the lot...

    It is not impossible with the Low FPS body... but you've to be pretty skilled and lucky...
    Wah poisoning newbie har???
    Yeah yeah. Only those cameras capable of 8fps and above are suitable for this task...

    Hehehehe
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    hehe, 1 more poison for newbie to buy high end dslr

  11. #11
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Wah poisoning newbie har???
    Yeah yeah. Only those cameras capable of 8fps and above are suitable for this task...

    Hehehehe
    Bro... Dun any how say me leh... Certain mid level cameras are capable of high FPS wad? I'm surprised nobody from a certain camp jumped at this opportunity... Haiz...salesmanship epic fail...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 13th December 2010 at 12:14 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  12. #12
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by strikeback4 View Post
    hehe, 1 more poison for newbie to buy high end dslr
    And you think only high end DSLRs can do 10 FPS har?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  13. #13
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Bro... Dun any how say me leh... Certain mid level cameras are capable of high FPS wad? I'm surprised nobody from a certain camp jumped at this opportunity... Haiz...salesmanship epic fail...
    Ah.... but you'll notice that I didn't mention "high-end DSLR" in my post. Only said "8fps and above"...
    Exploring! :)

  14. #14
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Ah.... but you'll notice that I didn't mention "high-end DSLR" in my post. Only said "8fps and above"...
    Wahahah, smarty-pants then you are saved... Only Strikeback4 kena for mentioning the words "high end"...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    If you want to motion blur the background and keep the subject sharp, you will have to practise making the panning shot. It takes a bit of practise but once done right you'll be pleased with the results.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  16. #16
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    High FPS cameras take a huge part in the success rate as well.....It is not impossible with the Low FPS body... but you've to be pretty skilled and lucky...
    Actually the FPS capability of the camera is just one of the aspect in helping with a successful shot, higher FPS only means you'll be able to make more shots though the course of the subjects' motion increasing your chances of getting one good one out of the set. Panning shot done on high speed subjects also depends on performance of your camera's AF speed as well as the photographers ability to pan consistent to the speed of the moving subject. Its true that its not a one shot one kill thing but woth practise, you'll get higher success rates. Usually what I do is to anticipate the movement of the subject and establish a focus point, pan the camera and track the subject, snap when subject is at the location you desire to make the shot and follow through shortly after the exposure is made. This is how it works for me
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  17. #17
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Actually the FPS capability of the camera is just one of the aspect in helping with a successful shot, higher FPS only means you'll be able to make more shots though the course of the subjects' motion increasing your chances of getting one good one out of the set. Panning shot done on high speed subjects also depends on performance of your camera's AF speed as well as the photographers ability to pan consistent to the speed of the moving subject. Its true that its not a one shot one kill thing but woth practise, you'll get higher success rates. Usually what I do is to anticipate the movement of the subject and establish a focus point, pan the camera and track the subject, snap when subject is at the location you desire to make the shot and follow through shortly after the exposure is made. This is how it works for me
    Agreed, that is why I mentioned that you need to be skilled at this. Practise makes perfect. I hear ya!

    I mentioned high FPS is also because you can take your pick probably from a few winning shots rather than one. Maybe "winning" isn't such a good word... more like sharp shots. From there, you take the best composition (usable) out of the lot (no distractions - foreground objects, bad backgrounds, exposure, etc)
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 13th December 2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  18. #18
    Member makolit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    panning takes practice and a steady hand. high FPS rate helps.

    cheers!
    is using a digital camera that works ...

  19. #19

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by evomclaren View Post
    Hi,

    Need some advice for this. May i know how to take moving subjects, e.g. running children, so the the end result shall be a clear subject with a blur background. I have tried different settings but still could not achieve the desired effect. Thanks!

    Hi This is Adobo "newbie",

    You are asking for Panning effect.

    Here are the basic setting, use this as your baseline:

    Handle: Nikon D5000
    WB: Auto or Ambient
    ISO: 200
    Dial: AV
    1/30 sec at f/20
    focal Length: 24mm
    Flash: none
    Metering: Weighted Average

    Try to practice first by yourself.
    Use your palm as panning.

    Stretch your Left hands with open palm,
    open your palm and face towards you.
    point your camera to your palm, then, swing your arms to right direction.
    be carefull, ensure you're in open area to avoid hitting other or hurting your self.
    then shoot. you will see, panning effect of your palm.

    this will take a lot of trial shots.

    enjoy shooting.

    regards, adobo

  20. #20
    Member ant0800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: How to take moving subject with background blur

    Quote Originally Posted by adobo View Post
    Hi This is Adobo "newbie",

    You are asking for Panning effect.

    Here are the basic setting, use this as your baseline:

    Handle: Nikon D5000
    WB: Auto or Ambient
    ISO: 200
    Dial: AV
    1/30 sec at f/20
    focal Length: 24mm
    Flash: none
    Metering: Weighted Average

    Try to practice first by yourself.
    Use your palm as panning.

    Stretch your Left hands with open palm,
    open your palm and face towards you.
    point your camera to your palm, then, swing your arms to right direction.
    be carefull, ensure you're in open area to avoid hitting other or hurting your self.
    then shoot. you will see, panning effect of your palm.

    this will take a lot of trial shots.

    enjoy shooting.

    regards, adobo
    good advice... will try this at home...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •