Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tibet - Please comment on this itinerary

Default Re: Tibet - Please comment on this itinerary

Quote Originally Posted by magnetgal View Post
    Hi, sorry for hijacking this thread.

Below is my proposed itinerary in June 2011, any feedback anyone can provide will be very much appreciated.
    So excited about this dream trip!!

Day 01 : Arrival in Lhasa by train from Chengdu (hopefully i can get the tickets!)
    Arrival in Lhasa station by train late afternoon, will be received and transfer to hotel in Lhasa

Day 02/03 : Lhasa Sightseeing
    Visiting the magnificent Potala palace, Derpung monastery (the once largest Buddhist learning centers in Tibet, once it housed more than 10,0000 monks ), the Sera monastery where we visit the monks debating, the summer palace of the Dalai Lama and the most sacred shrine in Tibet Jokhang temple and the Barkhor which is most popular market and sacred walk for all Tibetans, in Lhasa stay ( 3650m )

Day 04 : Day trip to Ganden monastery
    Drive Lhasa to Ganden monastery, touring the monastery, option to do a 3 to 4 hrs trek crossing Ganden ridge to Trup Shi village where we can visit a local Tibetan family for some local drinks and snacks or we can walk the scenic Kora around the monastery which is about 45minutes, then meet our driver and drive to Taktse where we cross the Lhasa Kyi Chu river and drive to Drak Yerpa caves, visit and then later in the day we drive back to Lhasa, over night stay in Lhasa

Day 05 : Lhasa - Yamdrok lake - Gyangtse - Shigatse 345kms / 9hrs
    Leaving Lhasa and the Kyi Chu valley towards the Khampa la pass ( 4730metres ), at the pass we have a short break for stunning views of some major white peaks in the eastern regions of Himalaya to the south and the young Norjing Gang Sang spiritual snow mountain range to the west across the turquise colored waving waters of Yamdrok lake, descending from the pass down close to the lake and driving passing the local nomadic and farming villages as far as to the western edge of Yamdrok lake, then we cross Karo la pass ( 5050metres ), arrival in Gyangtse afternoon, visit the Palkhor Chode monastery including the Kumbum stupa ( the only survival with such distinctive structure and the thousands of art works ) and then drive to Shigatse, hotel stay

Day 06 : Shigatse - Shekar - Rombuk 330kms / 9hrs
    Leaving Shigatse town, Drive continue west on the friendship high way to Shekar, crossing Gyawu la passs where we have panoramic view of the greatest part of the Himalaya, continue overland trip to Romuk, afternoon excursion to Everest base camp ( Hiking from Rombuk monastery up to Everest base camp and back ), spend late afternoon in Rombuk and Everest base camp, over night at Rombuk monastery guest house or tented guest house in Za Rombuk ( 5000m )

Day 07 : Rombuk - Shigatse / 330kms / 9hrs
    After breakfast, we enjoy the sun-rising over Mt. Everest, further excursión and enjoy the scenery, late morning we leave Everest, head back to Shigatse on the friendship-highway, we arrive in Shigatse in the evening, hotel stay in Shigatse ( 3800m )

Day 08 : Shigatse - Namtso lake 315kms / 9hrs
    Leaving Shigatse, taking the scenic Northern road, crossing Shuga la pass, with stops at local farming villages and Nomadic families and also a stop at Yangpachen hot-spring, drive on to Tashi Dor at Namtso lake, enjoy the late afternoon at Namtso lake with the spectacular sun-set view of the Namtso lake and the Nyanchen Thangla range, over night at Tashi Dor guest house ( 4600m )

Day 09 : Namtso lake - Lhasa / 250kms / 4hrs
    Spend the morning at the lake, enjoy the sun-rising and hike around the Tashi Dor hermitage cave chapels and the hills there, at noon drive to Lhasa, late afternoon free around in Lhasa, hotel stay ( 3600m )

Day 10 : Lhasa departure
    Transfer to airport for flight back to Chengdu
    Ah, no problem at all I also can't comment much but should be able to help a little after I have done my trip

Default Re: Tibet - Please comment on this itinerary

Was there in October last year.
    They just completed the 219 National Road a few weeks before my trip.
    Can go all the way from Saga to Mt Kailash in 8 hrs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234