Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Close up filter for 105 VR

  1. #1

    Default Close up filter for 105 VR

    I am very new to macro. Just started actually. Got the 105mm f/2.8 VR but I find that it doesn't focus close enough. Is it my technique?

    Also asking if a close up filter say +2 or +4 will help? If so, which brand do the experienced and experts recommend?

    I am not into insects, so only flowers and still objects at the moment. Challenge with flowers is wind blows and I focus until I dizzy.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    how close are u looking at? the 105VR brings u down to 1:1 magnification at 0.31m.
    Are you on autofocus when shooting at 1:1. try manual focusing, as at such close focusing distance, the AF might not be accurate.

    adding a +2 or +4 will bring u even close to the subject, I'm not good with the math, so I can't tell you how close.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    I am very new to macro. Just started actually. Got the 105mm f/2.8 VR but I find that it doesn't focus close enough. Is it my technique?

    Also asking if a close up filter say +2 or +4 will help? If so, which brand do the experienced and experts recommend?

    I am not into insects, so only flowers and still objects at the moment. Challenge with flowers is wind blows and I focus until I dizzy.
    flowers easier than insects.. at least they dont fly away no matter how close u get. wind? no choice. Try to cover it. If u are photographing with a friend, your friend can try using a vanguard or A4 hard paper to block the wind and can even give a nice bouquet. Else, go to the florist, get some flowers and photograph all you want at the comfort of your home.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    for flowers, which i like photographing, the 105 should be pretty sufficient (I use a 90mm). If you add a close up filter (eg. Raynox is a good one), you will be very close and the "shakiness" is going to be alot more drastic.

    For flower photography, a tripod is good, and if you have spare dough, get a Plamp (I dont have one) or just find a clip like thingy to hold (but not damage the branch). Otherwise, use your body to block the wind or simply wait (like a fisherman). Patience is virtue.

    Best Regards,
    tltan

  5. #5

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    I see. I guess I will just MF instead. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Red Dot Island
    Posts
    448

    Red face Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    I see. I guess I will just MF instead. Thanks.
    Hello Shelomoh,

    I would like to borrow your topic place to raise my similar question and hopefully I can get some advice.

    I have D7000 and I also bought the 105 f2.8G VR for the Close up. I started with macro lens because I never own a macro lens. In the other set of Olympus I have all the range I need but no macro.

    My assumption is that getting longer focal length with macro I can stand further away yet can get macro close up shots. How wrong I am.

    I bought a 35mm f1.8 later.

    What I am hoping is some one can advice me how to use this expensive 105 mm lens so that I do not waste it. It is a heavy lens also. I still like to try macro and hopfully I do not need to get another new lens. As you mentioned this lens does not give me much closer result.

    Peter

  7. #7

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Hello Shelomoh,

    I would like to borrow your topic place to raise my similar question and hopefully I can get some advice.

    I have D7000 and I also bought the 105 f2.8G VR for the Close up. I started with macro lens because I never own a macro lens. In the other set of Olympus I have all the range I need but no macro.

    My assumption is that getting longer focal length with macro I can stand further away yet can get macro close up shots. How wrong I am.

    I bought a 35mm f1.8 later.

    What I am hoping is some one can advice me how to use this expensive 105 mm lens so that I do not waste it. It is a heavy lens also. I still like to try macro and hopfully I do not need to get another new lens. As you mentioned this lens does not give me much closer result.

    Peter
    As others said, you may use additional close up filter (e.g. Raynox is the good one) or extension tube, which will bring you very "close" to the subject.

    "What I am hoping is some one can advice me how to use this expensive 105 mm lens so that I do not waste it" --> This macro lens also could be used for portrait (head shoot), to capture facial expression. It's a sharp lens indeed.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    its true that with longer focal length, you can stand further away taking the same subject. Maybe say 180mm?

    But close up filter addition will bring your focusing distance nearer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    Quote Originally Posted by tltan View Post
    its true that with longer focal length, you can stand further away taking the same subject. Maybe say 180mm?

    But close up filter addition will bring your focusing distance nearer.
    The longer the focal length the more working distance u hv at achieving 1:1

    With closeup filter will reduce ur working distance significantly n render ur dof thin..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #10

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Hello Shelomoh,

    I would like to borrow your topic place to raise my similar question and hopefully I can get some advice.

    I have D7000 and I also bought the 105 f2.8G VR for the Close up. I started with macro lens because I never own a macro lens. In the other set of Olympus I have all the range I need but no macro.

    My assumption is that getting longer focal length with macro I can stand further away yet can get macro close up shots. How wrong I am.

    I bought a 35mm f1.8 later.

    What I am hoping is some one can advice me how to use this expensive 105 mm lens so that I do not waste it. It is a heavy lens also. I still like to try macro and hopfully I do not need to get another new lens. As you mentioned this lens does not give me much closer result.

    Peter
    what do u mean does not give u a much closer result? have u tried comparing how close your 35mm can shoot and 105mm? example try to take a pic of a matchstick at home with your 35mm and 105mm. and dont use autofocus pls. If you have been using autofocus in your 105mm, I guess I know why you couldnt get any closer result.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Red Dot Island
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: Close up filter for 105 VR

    Hello jgjonathangoh,

    Indeed I used auto focus but this is not my problem. I think this is my very wrong perception. When I buy the lens compared between the 60mm and the 105mm. I was told 60mm is not a 1:1 macro lens and 105 able to give me 1:1 macro. I fell for it not knowing the technical difference.

    In my mind I can stand further away because 105mm is a longer focal length than 60mm yet able to get a better close up macro result than 60mm could. How wrong I was. After knowing I am wrong i still can not get over why one need a 105 mm macro and not buying a 35mm macro if both lens i need to get same close distance in order to get the close up macro result?

    Unless people are talking about using it for dual purpose; portrait and close up in one lens then I can understand now. Am I correct with this statement. 105mm is a dam heavy lens to use for an old man to take a close up shot. Even using tripod I find it difficult to handle. I must try it one more time see how close I can go with manual focusing. in the mean time please enlighten this silly old man.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •