View Poll Results: Whats ur Fav Cooking Knife brand?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS AG (Gremany)

    6 60.00%
  • WMF (Gremany)

    1 10.00%
  • 555 (those made in China)

    1 10.00%
  • I dun even know these brands

    2 20.00%
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Whats You fav Cooking Knife (brand)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default Whats You fav Cooking Knife (brand)

    well just thing of buying a knife but then dunno what brand to buy so post this to ask you all loh

    But i want to buy a knife this friday so i was thinking if i should get the ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS AG (professional 'S', five star, four star) any suggestion?? budget <$110
    Last edited by nicholas1986; 4th June 2002 at 12:57 AM.

  2. #2
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Zwilling is a good brand - all my knives and kitchen scissors are Zwillings (except the chopper which is like those you see in the market type)

    Very sharp, does not corrode, nice balance and ergonomics.

    Am i a knive freak? Well, everytime my wife goes to the household dept of Metro/Robinsons/Tangs, you know where I will be

  3. #3

    Default

    Goodness Darren, you're worse than my dad.. and you're half his age!

  4. #4
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by YSLee
    Goodness Darren, you're worse than my dad.. and you're half his age!


    and i bet i have half his hair too ..... kekekekekeke.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Originally posted by YSLee
    Goodness Darren, you're worse than my dad.. and you're half his age!
    i think i worst than darren cos i am half darren's age

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    I use a laser cutter.

    Regards
    CK

  7. #7

    Default Great knives

    It's good to invest in a good kitchen knife. It lasts a lifetime.

    I have used a few brands.
    Victorinox, Zwillings/Henckels, WMF....
    WMF is more geared towards styling and design, Victorinox and Henckels are about as good, but Henckels has the option of a very solid non slip handle, so however oily and slippery the cooking and cutting can get, you can be sure your grip on the knife is firm. THe Henckels I have at home is more than 10 years old, as sharp as ever. take care of your knives.

    The victorinox i have at home is older than the Henckel but not as often used as it's awefully long. Both are normal chef knives, just at different lengths and configurations. My henckel is shorter and has a less pliable blade, victorinox is more pliable in that sense, being longer. flexibility being good for skinning and slicing fish.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    me going to get the FIVE STAR - Chef's knife 8" from me auntie cos she can get it much cheaper

  9. #9

    Default regular sharpening

    sharpening your knives regularly maintains the blade. don't wait till the blade is more blunt before you sharpen it. you end up shaving away more metal with the stone. sharpening rods are not as good. a good sharpening stone with two surfaces work well, start off with the coarse side first, grind the knife lengthwise at five degrees or so on both sides, then do the same on the fine side at eight degrees with the coarse surface. after which you will do eight degrees lengthwise on both sides on the finer surface. that way you get a very good cutting edge. Always grind with water!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: regular sharpening

    Originally posted by Scriabinesque
    sharpening your knives regularly maintains the blade. don't wait till the blade is more blunt before you sharpen it. you end up shaving away more metal with the stone. sharpening rods are not as good. a good sharpening stone with two surfaces work well, start off with the coarse side first, grind the knife lengthwise at five degrees or so on both sides, then do the same on the fine side at eight degrees with the coarse surface. after which you will do eight degrees lengthwise on both sides on the finer surface. that way you get a very good cutting edge. Always grind with water!
    i got the twin sharp from henckels

  11. #11

    Default

    that's fantastic!! how many years have you used it?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Originally posted by Scriabinesque
    that's fantastic!! how many years have you used it?
    6 months
    very good sharpener even those cheapo knife also can sharp until very sharp
    but then it really eats the knife

  13. #13
    JerChan
    Guests

    Default

    Buck's knife anyone?


  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Originally posted by JerChan
    Buck's knife anyone?

    what kind of brand is that

  15. #15
    JerChan
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by nicholas1986


    what kind of brand is that
    They make pretty good knives. Pretty well known in the States, but seldom seen in Singapore.

    Not too sure if they have kitchen knives but they have camping knives of very high quality.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Originally posted by JerChan


    They make pretty good knives. Pretty well known in the States, but seldom seen in Singapore.

    Not too sure if they have kitchen knives but they have camping knives of very high quality.
    ois

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •